Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badger Tunnels

Options
  • 13-05-2006 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

http://www.badgerland.co.uk/help/badgers/precautionary/badger_tunnels.html

These are a fantastic idea and solution to an ongoing problem and I'm glad someone realised that development also causes destruction because I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of seeing dead animals on the roads (shame no-one was progressive enough here to consider them during the building of all the new roads)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

They look like they might be expensive to install/fit

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Probably would be now that roads have been finished, though I don't think you should put a price on helping to keep animals alive (but I'm sure someone has a figure somewhere :rolleyes: )
    It would be better if they included the tunnels when drawing up the plans as I don't see them being expensive to include during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In the Netherlands, on a motorway that passes through the Hoge Veluwe, a National Park, they even built a couple of special bridges especially for the animals (deer mainly). The page is in Dutch, but you can see a picture of one here ... http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecoduct .

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

They're fantastic, would anyone know if the badgers in this country are considered to be close to endangerment, feel sick everytime I pass a dead one (or a fox, rabbit, hare) on the roads.

you can change the language to English, check out the left hand column

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No need for me, I speak fluent Dutch, so I didn't actually bother looking :) Well spotted!

• Advertisement

Probably would be now that roads have been finished, though I don't think you should put a price on helping to keep animals alive (but I'm sure someone has a figure somewhere :rolleyes: )
    It would be better if they included the tunnels when drawing up the plans as I don't see them being expensive to include during construction.
    I agree whole heartedly but there are certain people who dont like badgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Authorities here couldn't even be bothered to spend a few Euros painting proper white lines and putting cats eyes on our roads to prevent people from dying ..fat lot of hope that leaves for badgers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

They're fantastic, would anyone know if the badgers in this country are considered to be close to endangerment, feel sick everytime I pass a dead one (or a fox, rabbit, hare) on the roads.

Not even close, its only a short while ago the government were talking about a badger cull becasue of TB spreading to cattle, although I know farmers that have their cattle in fields with badger sets for years, and the cattle never failed a TB test. Considering the fact that a lot of cattle that were slaughtered for failing a TB test, were later discovered that they didn't have TB, I'd have my doubts that the government actually know what they're talking about.

I heard that somewhere too Carb,that Badgers carry bovine tb. Never knew if it was a substantiated claim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

tallus wrote:
    I heard that somewhere too Carb,that Badgers carry bovine tb. Never knew if it was a substantiated claim though.

I think they definitely do carry it, but what I can't understand is how they supposedly spread it. I remember at home that a group of huntsmen offered to clear out the badger sets on a farmers land and he did not hesitate in telling them to feck off, and that he'd cattle on that land all his life and never had a TB problem. A cull is not going to eradicate the decease amongst badgers anyway.

• Advertisement

sounds fair enough. Fair play to the farmer.

Advertisement