Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akercócke

• 13-05-2006 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, anyone else here like these guys? I think they're quite excellent.

If you've not heard of them, they sound something like a cross between Rush and Deicide.

Have a look at their video for the song Leviathan, which is probably one of their most accessible tracks. You can also listen to some more of their stuff here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I seen them live at Download 04,although i didn't know any of there stuff so it wasn't the most exciting.

i'll give them a listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Just listened now. I like the band but the singer is awful in my opinion. Too many bands are ruined by the singer in my opinion and they are definitly one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think Jason is a fantastic vocalist. Each to their own though.

Yeah, exactly. I really like the music though. Shame.

Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about the vocals? Is it the more Death Metal style vocals, or the clean operatic style?

• Advertisement

I don't like the way he sings in such a "deep" voice if you get me? Like, i don't mean deep but the style. I like a more clean voice. Something I can actually think "wow, what an amazing voice" a powerful voice. I love Eddie Vedder's voice for example. I know it's a different style of voice.

I don't like the way alot of metal bands seem to have the same kind of vocals. Also, with the mentioned band. I think it sounds as though he is putting on that deep voice. I know he is not. But, to me, It sounds that way.

I ain't an avid metal fan, so, I am no expert. Could you reccomend me some metal bands with a great voice, technically (Cornell,Vedder,Plant) if you get me? I know i am probably making no sense what so ever but, I really like the metal instrumentals but I find the singing usually wrecks the band for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The first album was OK but they never really did much for me

I get you Timans. Each to their own really. ;)

Thanks for accepting me Karl. :D

Any reccomendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

O i love this band, couldnt remember there name for a while, i always remember em for that video, metal with parker fly's and suits whod have thnk it?

On another note, LONG LIVE SATIRYICON(i know ive spelled it wrong but god dam i cant remember how to spell it.

• Advertisement

Parker Fly's rock man! Probably the more versatile guitars in the world.

And it's Satyricon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barry.S

Timans wrote:
    Thanks for accepting me Karl. :D

Any reccomendations?

I'd have to say Iron Maiden.
    Not really the same kind of vocals as Vedder or Plant, Vedder probably being my favourite vocalist, but Bruce Dickinson sings in a clean voice and really is a very good vocalist. And the band are great all round too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

I think Akercocke are fantastic. I have "Choronzon" and it's definitely one of the best death metal albums I have. They never fail to make interesting, brutal stuff it would seem.

Barry.S wrote:
    I'd have to say Iron Maiden.
    Not really the same kind of vocals as Vedder or Plant, Vedder probably being my favourite vocalist, but Bruce Dickinson sings in a clean voice and really is a very good vocalist. And the band are great all round too;)
    Thanks for the reply mate.

I really don't like Iron Maiden. They have a few great songs that I would listen to and I have their Greatest Hits on my iPod but, I find them quite boring and repetitive. I'm hard to please :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I really like Akercocke. Good stuff all round, it's hard to fault. It's always very well put together (especially the last two albums) and while interesting and new it sounds comfortable and sounds "right", even though it's not playing from a blueprint you've ever heard before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barry.S

Timans wrote:
    Thanks for the reply mate.

I really don't like Iron Maiden. They have a few great songs that I would listen to and I have their Greatest Hits on my iPod but, I find them quite boring and repetitive. I'm hard to please :P

Np mate. lol well...
    Maybe try Katatonia then, not such an amazing voice, but some good clean vocals and a good band imo.
    Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth has a great clean voice, although this is only heard on their acoustic songs mostly.
    Also, Black Sabbath! I like Ozzy's voice, kinda strikes me as unique, even though imo the lyrics are sometimes a bit iffy and simple.
    Hopefully one of those bands might please you ;)

Lads, can we keep the recommendations to another thread, perhaps? You're dragging this one way off topic.

Timans, start a new thread asking for recommendations, ok?

Alright, Sorry about this Karl. Didn't even mean for it to go this far. :D

Anyway, Will do. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Leviathan, which is probably one of their most accessible tracks.
    I heard the Goat of Mendes and really liked it, then I saw the video for Leviathan and I was completely thrown off, no screaming and video booty. Confusing altogether, then I heard the album version of the song, much more like the band I knew.
    Overall, very atmospheric stuff, especially around the Goat.. period, but the Choronzon-ish stuff is much much more composed and powerful as opposed to the more raw approach of the aforementioned
    Enraptured by Evil is one hell of a song too ;).

Finally got around to getting "Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone" today.

Awesome album altogether. Verdelet is one astonishing song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

That song on Youtube is definetly 'friendlier' than the last song I heard by Ackercocke, in the one I heard the vocalist sounded like pitbulls were relieving him of his testicles.
    This one was like a sub-par Nevermore tune IMO..

Den_M wrote:
    This one was like a sub-par Nevermore tune IMO..

I'm a big fan of Nevermore, but Akercócke don't sound at all like them.

Definetly not! It was just this particular song, the singing really, that put that comparison in my head..
    The video looks a tiny bit like the one for Final Product as well.
    I like Ackercocke overall though, but I prefer their heavier, scarier side.

Den_M wrote:
    Definetly not! It was just this particular song, the singing really, that put that comparison in my head..
    The video looks a tiny bit like the one for Final Product as well.
    I like Ackercocke overall though, but I prefer their heavier, scarier side.

I'd really like to know what you're smoking. I just stuck on the Final Product video, and besides the fact that they've both metal bands, I see absolutely no similarity whatsoever.

As for the singing, I'd say that Warrel Dane of Nevermore sounds more like Matt Barlow of Iced Earth (Example) than Jason Mendonca.

The video of Final Product I saw was really low resolution, maybe that explains my Mr. Magoo-ism..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Finally got around to getting "Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone" today.

Awesome album altogether. Verdelet is one astonishing song.

I got that album 2 weeks ago and its barely left my cd player since. Not generally my type of music but I took a gamble and it paid off. Love when that happens!

Are past releases like this album or what?

Edit: One thing that annoyed me though was the drumming. First of all I think its pretty awful. The bass drum sound really gets on my tits and I think the drummer is terrible! But I really enjoyed everything else

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have "Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone" and "Chronozon", I have to say I really like some of the stuff like "Verdelet", "Seduced", "Leviathan" and "Enraptured By Evil" but others tend to bore me. I'll try to get listening to it some more before I'll make a judgement.

I got that album 2 weeks ago and its barely left my cd player since. Not generally my type of music but I took a gamble and it paid off. Love when that happens!

Are past releases like this album or what?

All I can say is, give 'em a listen. Their older stuff is fairly rough, and there's definetly a musical progression and the overall sound became a lot more refined in their last two albums, but I'd still say the first two are well worth getting, they're some excellent songs on offer and some amazing musicality.
    Edit: One thing that annoyed me though was the drumming. First of all I think its pretty awful. The bass drum sound really gets on my tits and I think the drummer is terrible! But I really enjoyed everything else

I think he's an excellent drummer, but I know what you mean about the bass drum sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

I think he's an excellent drummer, but I know what you mean about the bass drum sound.
    Well my main gripe is he over does it most of the time. Not saying hes a bad drummer talent wise, its his choice of beats that lets him down big time. He goes WAY over the top on several occassions where a much simpler beat would have done the job very nicely. I do like when a drummer gets a bit adventurous, but not in this guys case.

Am I making too much of it? Probably

• Advertisement

Well my main gripe is he over does it most of the time. Not saying hes a bad drummer talent wise, but his choice of beats leaves alot to be disired. He goes WAY over the top on several occassions where a much simpler beat would have done the job very nicely. I do like when a drummer gets a bit adventurous, but not in this guys case.

Am I making too much of it? Probably

No, you're not making too much of it. It's interesting to discuss these things.

Anyway, I think I understand what you mean when you say he goes over the top, like when he's playing a blastbeat but the riffs might be very slow/chilled. But I do actually like that kind of thing a lot myself, such as at the end of Verdelet where there's the clean notes ringing out over blasting. It can sound very interesting and disjointed.

I think another example of that kind of thing would be the song Master's Apprentices by Opeth, where there's a blastbeat and a much slower riff. It's like two different textures playing off each other, and the sound is just monolithic! Or at least I think so. ;)

Advertisement