Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shaving - men

• 13-05-2006 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

shaving is so crappy. my neck gets all cut and spoty when i shave, what can i do.; is shaving crap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

Grow a beard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Put on moisturiser before you put on shaving foam, it helps. i used to allways cut myself to bits shaving, but since I started doing this, I've had no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

you should try out the king of shaves range of products. theyre pretty good. i used to get really bad razor burn on my neck from shaving but i started using the shaving oil instead of gel or foam which i found dried out my skin a lot.
    also they make a moisturiser for after/before shaving. it helps LOTS! its in the shaving section too, and doesnt look to obvious so dont be worried about using a moisturiser. :)

btw there are probably other products similar to these ones. i just use these ones and know they are good. i do NOT work for the company. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Wash your face first with warm water , and use a good clean blade, and go against the grain of your growth, and use Moisturiser ,actually use this each day to make your skin better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Buy a decent razor.

• Advertisement

+1 a decent razor also does wonders.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Electric shaver = no cuts and fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Get a good razor. I use the Quatro (Wilkinson Sword) and I've never had a problem with it.

I used to use the King Of Shaves oil too. It was very good. I use the King Of Shaves gel now (the one for sensitive skin), but the oil was good.

Get a good razor. I use the Quatro (Wilkinson Sword) and I've never had a problem with it.

I used to use the King Of Shaves oil too. It was very good. I use the King Of Shaves gel now (the one for sensitive skin), but the oil was good.

sorry to chime in here again. but i use the exact same stuff as you. i'd say the OP should go for a wilkinson sword quattro and king of shaves oil or gel. perfect combo! ;)

I use the Botanics range from Boots. They actually do really good products aimed towards men and shaving. They come in steps: Step 1 is usually preparing the skin, step 2 is the actual shaving itself, and step 3 is the moisturising and cooling of the skin. It's really good.

Also, its best to shave in easy strokes, not lashing into your face. Change your razorblade regularly and never shave with a rusty razor. As a friend of mine found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I use the Botanics range from Boots. They actually do really good products aimed towards men and shaving. They come in steps: Step 1 is usually preparing the skin, step 2 is the actual shaving itself, and step 3 is the moisturising and cooling of the skin. It's really good.

Also, its best to shave in easy strokes, not lashing into your face. Change your razorblade regularly and never shave with a rusty razor. As a friend of mine found out.

clinque doe a set like that too, with all diff gels, this weird lotion, and facial scrub and crap, really good. Dont have a decent razor myself, just use the disposable tesco blades :D but there fine for me, cause i got sexy smooth skin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

shave with a mach3 power (the vibratey one) and shave with normal foam. afterwards i stick on gilette after shave balm (some white stuff) that says on the packet soothes redness, and it does, if i don't use it my neck becomes like a strawberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Switch to using an electric razor 6 days a week and do a proper wet shave just once a week to get all those little bits the electric razor will miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Why the hell bother shaving, If you have a neat clean unshaved look. That should do, men have a hair growth on their chins/faces, it's only natural.

Who the hell, told us You must shave ?.. in the first place.

Personally, I use an electric razor set so that it looks as though I have not shaved for a week, no pain etc.

If anyone comments negatively, I tell them to go to hell and that includes everyone. ;)

P. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Your god damn right Paddy.
    Who the hell, told us You must wear clothes also?
    From now on im going o'natural, hairy and naked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

clearz wrote:
    Your god damn right Paddy.
    Who the hell, told us You must wear clothes also?
    From now on im going o'natural, hairy and naked.

Now that, would be a sight I would prefer Not To See, Thank's ;)

P. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Decent razor and shaving oil = good.

Electric razors and/or shaving foam = bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah you still have your babby skin :)

Fork out a few squid for a decent razor, plenty of soap and some moisturiser for after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FunBobby

Shave in the shower. Do it last, so that your face has had a chance to absorb all the moisture. It's difficult the first few times, and you'll miss a few bits, but soon you'll get used to it. It's much less painful too and saves lots of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Personal tips from myself:

- use hot hot water
    - use a decent razor
    - use shaving oil / gel. Avoid foam - simply because too much of it can hinder a shave.
    - i always shave before a shower. If you do cut minorly yourself, your time in the shower will typically resolve all minor slices in skin.

Have gotten really lazy recently though - just getting out the Mach 3 in front of the mirror and giving a quick once-over on the particular bad areas with just some water.

Does the job but definintely need to do the oul sides (you know the area.. under the ear around the sideburns gets really coarse).

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    Personal tips from myself:

- use hot hot water
    - use a decent razor
    - use shaving oil / gel. Avoid foam - simply because too much of it can hinder a shave.
    - i always shave before a shower. If you do cut minorly yourself, your time in the shower will typically resolve all minor slices in skin.

Have gotten really lazy recently though - just getting out the Mach 3 in front of the mirror and giving a quick once-over on the particular bad areas with just some water.

Does the job but definintely need to do the oul sides (you know the area.. under the ear around the sideburns gets really coarse).

Some would say to shave after having a shower, as it makes the hair easier to shave. As strange as it seems, I actually found that the best times shaving was when I would use some sort of exfoiliating stuff (I'm too lazy to do a spell check, so I'll just presume thats right :P). I actually find that Lynx's Snake Peel gel is good enough for things like that. But this is just from personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

the Guru wrote:
    Wash your face first with warm water , and use a good clean blade, and go against the grain of your growth, and use Moisturiser ,actually use this each day to make your skin better.

Go against the growth???? Shaving experts always insist that one shaves in the direction of hair growth and never against it.

Litcagral wrote:
    Go against the growth???? Shaving experts always insist that one shaves in the direction of hair growth and never against it.

What exactly does that mean though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

What exactly does that mean though?

Downwards only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

It takes so much longer though, if you shave with the grain. You have to do the same places multiple times. Besides, I've never had any problems shaving against the grain with my set-up.

Time for an experiment. For the next few days I'm gonna shave with the grain, starting today. I'll give it a proper test.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I used to get a rash all the time until it finally dawned on me that I wasnt shaving against the grain. Put simply, make sure you shave against the grain and all should be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

try shaving ur nuts, you'll know all about it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

downwards for everything but the neck tbh is the best i think anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Litcagral wrote:
    Downwards only.

Incorrect.

Hair on different parts of the face grows in different directions. That on the neck often grows more in an upwards or sideways direction.

I find that for a quick shave, shaving with the growth is best and most bloodless. Can leave you a bit rough in places though. For a thorough shave, I go gently against the growth direction on the second pass, after lathering a bit more. Very gently on the neck!

Important to thoroughly wash your face first, then hold a hot wet flannel over it for say 30 secs. This sets the hairs up for the razor. Gel (or foam) well. Wait 20-30 secs for it to soak in. Use short, even strokes. Clear the razor under the cold tap after every few strokes (use a finger on the spout to increase pressure and therefore cleaning). Finally, rinse well in cold water - the colder the better - it helps close the pores. Dab dry with a towel.

You can get a Styptic Pencil in the chemist for about €1.50 for cuts/nicks. First, soak up any blood :eek: by dabbing with clean dry tissue, then press the pencil (like a crystalline piece of chalk really) firmly on the nick/cut and hold a few secs. It normally stops the bleeding completely.

OP: Does your problem with your hands prevent you from using an electric razor? How about one of those beard trimmers for a designer stubble look?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i hate shaving too but when i let it grown i look like a bum (not a homeless person, an actual anus)

if your doing a wet shave, apply the gel/foam to a wet face and leave it there for about 10mins. itwill soften the hair loads making it easier to cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I used to get this alot and I still do, just not nearly as bad. This is what I do.

-Wash face/neck
    -Cover with a hot, wet face cloth/flannel for 20-30 seconds
    -Apply shaving cream with brush, I find this much more effective than foam/gel. KoS oil is good too.
    -Take your time with the shave. Go with the grain first, then re-apply cream and go against.
    -Rinse face with cold water
    -Apply aftershave balm.

That's what works for me.

unfortunately there's only so much that can be done with sensitive skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

Electric shaver = no cuts and fast.

Yeah I agree, Im always in a rush when Im going out etc so I find that under a minute Im clean shavin with an electric razer, very handy and pretty close.

Advertisement