Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RX-8 Exclusive

Options
  • 13-05-2006 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Been thinking of geting a new rx-8 excluive, the 230bhp model. I'd like the power and the interior is great but there's something about the body styling that just kind of bores me in a way... It is a sports car, but it doesn't really look the part. Anyone have one or have any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I test drove one a while back - Pleasent car. Personally I like the looks. It not a true sports car per say, but does an admirable job at least giving you accessable back seats - just make sure you don't need to use them too often.

Engine was smooth but quite uncarismatic - It had a strange turbine sound to it and needed a lot of revs to get it going, I'd say even worse than my S2000. Its not really that quick (or should I say it never feels that quick).

Handling is nice though. Excellent balance and poise and a good rear wheel drive handler.

If you want a true sports car, look elsewhere, if you are looking for a competive well priced car that can accomodate 4 people when necessay, then the RX8 is hard to beat.

Personally I'd take a 350Z over the RX8 if your budget allows and you can forgo the back seat.

Once final thing I remember is that there is not that much headroom. I'm 6'1 and my head was practically on the roof.

What other cars have you ind mind - to be honest the RX8 looks a lot more interesting than most 4 seat cars in its sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's very handy. more practical than normal. ~Suicicide doors and rotaty engine a good talking point. Go on buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if you dont like the looks of it . mod it ;) might not be your thing but its a option

id also go for the 350z given the choise but since ur in that price bracket and looking for a sporty car have you considerd the new impreza or a new evo . the impreza is a becomming common in ireland but the evo is a rare beast ( unless you were testdriving it for the goverment )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I have a 350z - just think its more of a sports car than the RX8 - and 280 bhp. The RX8 definitely is more practical, but I have just seen too many mothers dropping their kids to school in them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

You're right about the looks, it was quirky when it came out but I dunno if it's aging well, maybe Mazda are due to do a facelift soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll leave it for a while and see if a facelift is due. I have a Celica 190 at the moment and I love it, was thinking of importing a 06 GT model but the 230bhp of the RX-8 sounded good. I wasn't a fan of the 350Z but it grew on me so I might check it out.

Just as a heads up I might be selling mine in the next couple of months (expanding family!) so give me a shout if you are still interested down the line ( 2004 model, kuro black, 30k mls)

TheBazman wrote:
    Just as a heads up I might be selling mine in the next couple of months (expanding family!) so give me a shout if you are still interested down the line ( 2004 model, kuro black, 30k mls)

What price? because I'm looking at importing a 2005 top spec with 3,200 on the clock and total cost will be...... €37,000 - Don't think that deal can be topped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I thought the RX-8 was awesome when it first came out but now (and I can't explain why) it seems to have dated somehow...

Also I'm not a fan of the rotary motor. Fuel consumption is horrendeous and currently that's a big disadvantage in any sector of the market.

Also, the coupe sector is heavily dictated by fashion. 350z, new TT or new 3-series would be better bet IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy shares in BP or Shell. I think the fuel consumption is pretty heavy.

I like then however, but not in that ghastly yellow.

• Advertisement

Fuel Consumption :

Urban - 18.1mpg
    Extra Urban - 32.5mpg
    Combined - 25.2mpg

pburns wrote:
    I thought the RX-8 was awesome when it first came out but now (and I can't explain why) it seems to have dated somehow...

Ye, that's what I've been thinking

steve06 wrote:
    What price? because I'm looking at importing a 2005 top spec with 3,200 on the clock and total cost will be...... €37,000 - Don't think that deal can be topped.
    That wont be beat - All Irish models are top spec but even still 37k is for nothing. I reckon mine should be worth somewhere around 39k or 40k. Dealers are selling 2004 models with around same mileage for around 41.5 - 42.5k

Advertisement