Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working visa

Options
  • 13-05-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hi, i am a korean living in germany.
    i am planning to start working in ireland.
    does anyone know how difficult it is to get a working permit for koreans? :confused:
    thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Same rules as any other non-EU country. Details are here..

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/working_in_ireland/work_permits.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Huty

Merci! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

do you have a woking permit arranged? or do you intend getting one when you come over?

Drapper wrote:
    do you have a woking permit arranged? or do you intend getting one when you come over?

You can't get one when you come over. Your not supposed to be canvassing for work in the country if you are on a holiday visa.

The employer has to apply for the work visa.

Hobbes wrote:
    You can't get one when you come over. Your not supposed to be canvassing for work in the country if you are on a holiday visa.

The employer has to apply for the work visa.

It is possible. I know of many cases! Came on student visa and got it replaced with working visa.

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    It is possible. I know of many cases! Came on student visa and got it replaced with working visa.

You can't work with a student visa and obtaining a work visa via a student visa has been suspended.

Its all in the link.

Hobbes wrote:
    You can't work with a student visa and obtaining a work visa via a student visa has been suspended.

Its all in the link.

Procedure is one thing but what is the norm is another !

students can work up to 20 hours.

and if the company deemes necessary then they can apply on thier behalf for a working visa! (if they have enough clout on the GOv i.e Google, EMC2, Korean Air, Microsoft etc who need non eu staff!)

As I've said I know plenty of Koreans and Chinese who've got work permits this way.

Drapper wrote:
    if they have enough clout on the GOv i.e Google, EMC2, Korean Air, Microsoft etc who need non eu staff!

Korean air? o_O there can't be much more then 10 people working there and its only a satellite office. Even the tickets bought are mostly through other airlines (unless flying domestic).

Hobbes wrote:
    Korean air? o_O there can't be much more then 10 people working there and its only a satellite office. Even the tickets bought are mostly through other airlines (unless flying domestic).

its European Support Centre, no sales.

Drapper wrote:

actually, i intended to get one through the company (if anyone wants me). I have a working permit for germany, but i guess it is of no use...and, if i search for a job in ireland it is way easier to be on spot (for interviews). as far as i know telephone interviews are not that common...

• Advertisement

Huty wrote:
    actually, i intended to get one through the company (if anyone wants me). I have a working permit for germany, but i guess it is of no use...and, if i search for a job in ireland it is way easier to be on spot (for interviews). as far as i know telephone interviews are not that common...

What is your qulaificaiton; allot has to do with this, there is many vacant jobs here in Ireland; if you are a doctor or nurse then visas are easy to get, so too are most of the engineering sciences, as there is a lack of skilled people in these areas in IReland,

Other than that you have the whole of Europe to compete with prior to any company even considering a work permit¬

PS there are some IT jobs which will get a working visa fast too!

Drapper wrote:
    What is your qulaificaiton; allot has to do with this, there is many vacant jobs here in Ireland; if you are a doctor or nurse then visas are easy to get, so too are most of the engineering sciences, as there is a lack of skilled people in these areas in IReland,

Other than that you have the whole of Europe to compete with prior to any company even considering a work permit¬

PS there are some IT jobs which will get a working visa fast too!

yes, i saw that on the OASIS site (work permits in ireland). i have an IT background, would like to work in marketing/management/consulting though. i guess it's not the best field for obtaining visa...worst thing i have to do is to change nationality --> when i become german, it shouldn't be a problem to find a job i guess...thanks for the information anyway :)

How are you changing Nationality? This is something you planned in advance I guess.

Huty wrote:
    yes, i saw that on the OASIS site (work permits in ireland). i have an IT background, would like to work in marketing/management/consulting though. i guess it's not the best field for obtaining visa...worst thing i have to do is to change nationality --> when i become german, it shouldn't be a problem to find a job i guess...thanks for the information anyway :)

if you need any futher help please let us know ! Hobbes has load of info on the KOrean CUlture in Ireland and you won't regret moving here! Much better than Germany !!! hehehhe

IT hummmmmmmm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=186858

Hobbes wrote:
    How are you changing Nationality? This is something you planned in advance I guess.

i have grown up in germany and i have something that you call "unbefristete aufenthaltsgenehmigung" which means that i can live and work here (until i die..). i also received my entire education (from elementary to university) and degrees in germany. it is easy to change nationality for people like me, but i would prefer other solutions if possible...unfortunately all this doesn't make me a EU citizen..:(

Drapper wrote:
    if you need any futher help please let us know ! Hobbes has load of info on the KOrean CUlture in Ireland and you won't regret moving here! Much better than Germany !!! hehehhe

IT hummmmmmmm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=186858

i am thankful for any help! :) i will visit ireland in 2 weeks. MUCH better than germany :) ...to be seen :p

Huty wrote:
    i am thankful for any help! :) i will visit ireland in 2 weeks. MUCH better than germany :) ...to be seen :p

well not architecture, but quality of lie and pay is better!!

and Irish people are friendly.

Drapper wrote:
    but quality of lie and pay is better!!

and Irish people are friendly.

--> pay? not heard of..only that taxes seem to be a bit lower than here...difference between brutto and netto can be significant...:mad:

--> THAT i heard! looking very much forward to meeting some irish people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

더블린에 살고 있는 한국인이에요.
    님처럼 외국에서 오랫동안 자란게 아니라서 영어는 잘 못하구요.
    어쨋든 아일랜드에 오시는거 환영해요^^
    제가 지금 워킹비자로 온게 아니라서 딱히 도움은 드릴순 없구요..ㅜ.ㅜ
    그게 좀 안타깝네요~ 그래도 반가운 마음에 리플 답니다^^

아일랜드 사람들은 프랜들리한데..
    가끔씩 물건 사고나서 거스름돈에서 슬쩍 하는 일꾼들이 있어요.
    외국인처럼 보이니까 영어 못하는줄 알고 그런짓들을 하는거같아요.
    그래서 전 항상 거스름돈을 카운터 앞에서 딱 체크하고 나와요..ㅋㅋ

말 들어보니깐 택스가 독일이 더 비싼가 보네요.
    여긴 전 잘 모르지만, 생필품 가격이 아마 독일보다 더 비싼걸로 알고 있어요.
    드릴 도움이 없어서 이런 도움이라도 드리고 싶어서요^^

그럼 인연이 되면 더블린에서 한번 뵈요^^ 바이^^

hello, thanks for your nice posting. i have no korean keyboard on my computer right now, but apparently i can read :)
    i was in dublin last weekend and enjoyed it very much. people are friendly, downtown is lively. only the weather was a bit cold...but then that was the case in germany as well :)

next time i come i might want to cook some korean food. any recommendations from native koreans where to get the best korean ingredients?

greetings from germany!

• Advertisement

next time in DUblin skype ! my details are in my profile !

Huty wrote:
    next time i come i might want to cook some korean food. any recommendations from native koreans where to get the best korean ingredients?

Only good place to get Korean foodstuffs in Dublin is Hanyang Korean market. The details are in the sticky thread in the forum for Resources. There are a number of Chinese/Asian foodstuffs stores but Hanyang is mainly Korean.

Advertisement