Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol

• 13-05-2006 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭

Does anyone know if I can pay IOL for a static IP on my adsl? or is it completely different package?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Static IP is not available on their home DSL. Only on their business packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kyper

Don't know about IOL but eircom will give you a static ip for a once off payment of 50 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

so if IOL wont do this for me what is the easiest/only option to get a static IP over a DSl line? Do you actually NEED a business to get a business line, although I sense that would be alot more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

so if IOL wont do this for me what is the easiest/only option to get a static IP over a DSl line? Do you actually NEED a business to get a business line, although I sense that would be alot more expensive.

What do you want the static address for? Some of the things peope want static addresses for don't actually need a static address - a dynamic DNS service will do just fine (some applications are better served with a static address, though).

If you go to the IOL Help page and search for static, the 3 replies listed suggest that they only apply to business accounts (references to engineer installs and SDSL, etc).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Foxwood wrote:
    If you go to the IOL Help page and search for static, the 3 replies listed suggest that they only apply to business accounts (references to engineer installs and SDSL, etc).

I had Esat Business ADSL and yes they give you a static IP, in fairness unless your running a server there's no realy need...I'm on NTL now and dyndns.rog does me fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I've heard that static IPs may be offered to home users at the end of this month.

Advertisement