Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noisy next door

Options
  • 14-05-2006 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

bought a house recently and next door had a party twice in a month so far.
    they bring loads of friends and play music very very loud and shout like mad.
    told them to turn off the music but was told to f off.
    this is a residencial area, some have kids too, its not fair.
    two friends bought the house together next door and they look very young, even look like students,,, young people like to party.....
    i feel unlucky but they should keep the noise down.
    any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Call the guards during the next party. I think they have to be called out twice before you can take legal action but at least they will give them a telling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

The gards will certainly come out of you call them but unfortunately do not have much power to force them to be quiet, however it does strengthen your case if you end up taking things further.

If they are very young, you might want to establish whether the house is actually rented rather than as they say owned by them, in which case they'd be in breach of their obligations as tenants and you could take the issue up with the landlord who hopefully would be a bit more obliging.

Otherwise, if things really dont improve you could go down the route of contacting the county council and they can advise you further whether you could take them to court under the environment protection act.

Keep a note of all times and disturbances that they cause so it can be presented if need be. Somebody else here on a different thread made a very good suggestion of using a video camera to record exactly how loud the noise is and the time it occured etc and that this when showed to the person causing the noise stopped it for good, when they saw how bad it was.

All these steps though I guess are worst case scenario and hopefully you can get it sorted without it coming to that but its a fact of life that you get inconsiderate b****** in most estates these days.

Hope you get it sorted.

Is there a management company? If so, complain to them.

And go around and lean on their doorbell every morning for a few minutes before you go to work...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

They bought the house, not renting, so I will contact the managing company, and if they do it again we will call gards as well.
    Videotape the noise sounds good idea too :cool:
    Thank you very much for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is very little the Garda can do once they are on private property. However if the party is spilling out into common areas it is breach of the peace.

Some photos of comatose teenagers (one in the electricity room) took care of some of my neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Even though the gards can do nothing. Call them anyway, every tiome there is a disturbance and insist they knock on the door.
    If it comes to you having to take the neighbours to court, the gards are now witnesses and you will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

THe first mistake was to "tell" them to turn off the music. You ask somebody to do something in thier own house. If they are so young look out for their parents and talk to them. I had friends who bought a house and went mental after they felt they were told what to do by neighbours. The were complete idiots untill one neighbour tracked down the mother of one. His mother made him appologise to the neighbours in writting or she was going to ask for the money she loaned him back instantly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

THe first mistake was to "tell" them to turn off the music. You ask somebody to do something in thier own house. If they are so young look out for their parents and talk to them. I had friends who bought a house and went mental after they felt they were told what to do by neighbours. The were complete idiots untill one neighbour tracked down the mother of one. His mother made him appologise to the neighbours in writting or she was going to ask for the money she loaned him back instantly. :D

(I live with tkyn22!)
    I did ask them to turn it off first, but that's when I got the "f*** off" reply from the guy who answered. So I went around again and a girl came to the door. I told her to switch it off. She must have been in her mid-20's but looked at me like a child being scolded, didn't say anything and just went back inside. Complete eejits. The music stopped completely about 20mins later and the party broke up. I don't know if the girl who answered was one of the owners or not (I've only met one of them so far), but they haven't said anything to us since then :rolleyes: . I called the Gardai after the first response I got and they said they would send someone out, however, when the party broke up I called them again and told them not to bother.

Mizu_Ger wrote:
    (I live with tkyn22!)
    I did ask them to turn it off first,

You seem to be having a prioblem knowing who you are.Two user names means a banning doesn't it? Very anti-social like making noise when having a party:D

You seem to be having a prioblem knowing who you are.Two user names means a banning doesn't it? Very anti-social like making noise when having a party:D

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

sorry I somehow missed the live with tkyn22 bit my bad:o

Anyway, the fact one person came to the door told you to f-off was he an owner or party goer? You never call to anybodies house and tell them what to do and asking them to turn it off and not down is the same as telling them. Once you get somebodies back up they rarely cailm down especially when young.
    Talking to somebody in such a way will make your life worse no matter whether you are right or wrong. I told you what I think is the best way. Eventually you might win after 2-4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

sorry I somehow missed the live with tkyn22 bit my bad:o

Anyway, the fact one person came to the door told you to f-off was he an owner or party goer? You never call to anybodies house and tell them what to do and asking them to turn it off and not down is the same as telling them. Once you get somebodies back up they rarely cailm down especially when young.
    Talking to somebody in such a way will make your life worse no matter whether you are right or wrong. I told you what I think is the best way. Eventually you might win after 2-4 years

He's right. Never call to the door and tell them to shut up. If you're going to call to the door pull the f*cker out and dance on his face :) I'd rather do that than be nice to him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Two parties in ONE month, those crazy kids!

JimmySmith wrote:
    He's right. Never call to the door and tell them to shut up. If you're going to call to the door pull the f*cker out and dance on his face :) I'd rather do that than be nice to him anyway.
    Ah the might is right approach:) There can never be a problem with that the strongest person is always proved right:rolleyes:

I know what you mean, but at 3am in the morning the last thing in your head is civility, when there's a racket like that going on next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I had a similar situation recently with students living upstairs from me.
    The next door neighbour on the other side moved out over them, she was a doctor and I presume getting no sleep.
    I wasn't that bothered by the noise as I sleep with earplugs anyway the GF wasn't happy though.

It came to a head with one of their partygoers puking down onto my balcony below, I got really pissed and warned them not to allow **** like that to happen to my areas again.
    A week later my herb bucket out the front had some puke in it, I lost the plot and tore into the guy, I actually asked to get his mothers phone number to phone her as I told him I was "sick of dealing with children", I seriously berated him, it got to the stage where I told him he gives me his mothers phone number or he tells her he is moving out, he agreed to move out.
    Later that evening I got a signed apology from all 5 tenants agreeing to move out once the exams are over and I have also had my herb bucket replaced.
    I think I can be intimidating when I want to be, I am heavily tattooed, but I never once alluded to violence or "what I might do" even though it did occur to me.

I'd say a result, how much of this applies to your situation would be down to how much you can raise your voice and how intimidating you can be.

<edit> to all the people mentioning civility, they lose that right once they start to impinge on your rights to peace and quiet.

Mizu_Ger wrote:
    I know what you mean, but at 3am in the morning the last thing in your head is civility, when there's a racket like that going on next door.
    That is why you don't call around at night. You call first thing in the morning and always own ear plugs. The earplugs are for flying but come in handy in such circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Gateway

RotalicaV wrote:
    Two parties in ONE month, those crazy kids!

:eek: 2 a month!!! Kids these days don't know how to have fun!

When I was in renting in my early 20's, we were having parties all the time in our semi detached! Lucky for us our neighbours were a group of 4 french female students who joined us all the time. Those were "The Love Shack" days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd be careful with the ultimatums. If someone came to my door "telling" me to do something in their own house, then I would be a bit taken back? Watch the way you do it!! I would have waited a few days, until I caught the neighbour in the garden and had a chat - drop a hint - not

Stomp stomp stomp, into the house when the party is going on and there is drink involved.

You : "Turn down that music and stop making noise".
    Drink breath : F off {Who does he think he is coming onto my property like that}

Garden Scenario

You : Hey, how are you, nice tulips!!
    Sober Neighbour : Yeah, coming on nicely actually.
    You : Yada
    Sober Neighbour : yada yada, natter
    You: That was some party you had last week, special occasion??
    Yada: Ehh well,

If the neighbour still tells you to naff off - then the next party they have - pump LOUD music with a ghetto blaster at the wall of the main bedroom at 7am the next morning (when smelly drink breath is in bed) for several hours. A dose of the same medicing. Each time they have a party with no consideration for you - do that. Tit for tat.

bubby wrote:
    You : "Turn down that music and stop making noise".
    Drink breath : F off {Who does he think he is coming onto my property like that}

When i got the f off reply I was asking them politely to lower the sound. That reply just pissed me off.

I also found some crap the next morning that had been thrown over the fench into our back garden (cigar butt looked like a dog turd when I saw it first!!! :D ). We could also hear them the following day sweeping up broken glass inside the house! They've only been in the place a month and they are already wrecking it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

Another next door people are nice, we say hello when I see them, but that next door people try not to make eye contact...
    It's not very easy to chat with them normally.

Actually, their first party finished around 6 or 7am but this time, finished around 3 or 4am, so they might have stopped because we said to them.
    I hope they don't do it again, or at least do it without making ridiculously loud noise.. it was almost like temple bar music centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The department of the environment website tells you what to do if you have a noisy neighbour but before you take formal proceedings you must have made some effort yourself. I strongly recommend you keep a log of everything call gardai as witnesses and videotape/record samples of noise.

However if you have brass ghoulies heres what I once did:
    Had a really noisy neighbour who just wudnt turn things down. One night when his appartment was quiet and he was looking for some shut eye, i turned on my stereo full blast (on a timer for a couple of hours) and stayed in a friend's.

The next day i called to his house and asked him if the noise pi$$ed him off and it did. I told him the next time i heard noise from his place i wud do it again for a week while i stayed in my parents.

That was the last of it.

Advertisement