Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Boiler connections

Options
  • 14-05-2006 11:23am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am currently plumbing an ext and need some advice.

I am using a 4 pipe system - 2 to rads and 2 to domestic hot water tank.
    I have the 4 * 1inch pipes at the location where the internal oil boiler is going.
    There are two flows (high on the boiler) and two returns (low) on the boiler.

Question - do I put rad pipes on one side and the dhw pipes on the other.

Q - I want to be able to turn off the rads (and just heat dhw) by means of a wired remote switch. what type of valve is used for this and on which pipe would it be installed.

thx folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    I am currently plumbing an ext and need some advice.

I am using a 4 pipe system - 2 to rads and 2 to domestic hot water tank.
    I have the 4 * 1inch pipes at the location where the internal oil boiler is going.
    There are two flows (high on the boiler) and two returns (low) on the boiler.

Question - do I put rad pipes on one side and the dhw pipes on the other.

Q - I want to be able to turn off the rads (and just heat dhw) by means of a wired remote switch. what type of valve is used for this and on which pipe would it be installed.

thx folks.
    Not an expert, but from what I have seen, If you have a gravity flow to the hot water cylinder, I would put the pipes to that on one side and the rads on the other. The pump would be on the return from the rads.
    If you need to pump the water everywhere, then I would blank off one side of the boiler and use the flow and return on the other side only.
    The simplest method is to have the circuit to the dhw open (and the pump running) all the time and have a motorised valve on the pipe that branches off to the rads controlled by a thermostat.
    It might be a good idea to get an expert to have a look. A well laid out circuit will be the most efficient.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

JamesM wrote:
    It might be a good idea to get an expert to have a look. Jim.

I will be getting a plumber to do the last fixings to the boiler alright.
    It was mainly to place the pipes when pouring the floor this week.

will put some aeroboard around them to allow them to be moved a few inches when the concrete is set.

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    I will be getting a plumber to do the last fixings to the boiler alright.
    It was mainly to place the pipes when pouring the floor this week.

will put some aeroboard around them to allow them to be moved a few inches when the concrete is set.

thx
    Saw a boiler today with flow out top one side. Return in bottom the opposite side. Other 2 blanked off. I suppose it keeps a good flow through the boiler.
    Jim.

Advertisement