Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dsl works but phone does not?

• 14-05-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

my dsl is working fine but my phone will not work.does that mean wiring is ok?.i am using netsource dsl and smart for calls(still waiting on 35 euro pm offer:mad: ).cannot get through to anyone at smart till monday.there support line does not even work.says invalid choice when you try to log a fault :rolleyes: .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

no when you mean doesnt work, what do ye mean?

if you plug out all the dsl equipment, does it work then?
    if you plug the dsl into the main hone point direct, can you make calls on another phone point?
    is it only its going through a splitter?
    are all other phone points filtered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

i plugged phone directly into main phone socket without filters etc,still no dial tone.i tried it with two different phones.the outside eircom line is connected to blue/white and white/blue pair,which goes to phone socket.are these the only two wires i need to be concerned about.does the dsl work through the same pair of wires .i.e the blue/white and white/blue pair.eircom where working on lines behind the house last week but phone only stopped working yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ripclaw

Yes DSL works over the same cables that the phone uses, just on a different frequency range. So one can work without the other working (unless your rabbit chewed through the cables etc...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I have the same problem now, mayto, how did you fix it/what was wrong with it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 murrayj

mayto wrote:
    my dsl is working fine but my phone will not work.does that mean wiring is ok?.i am using netsource dsl and smart for calls(still waiting on 35 euro pm offer:mad: ).cannot get through to anyone at smart till monday.there support line does not even work.says invalid choice when you try to log a fault :rolleyes: .

...and you are still waiting with enthusiasm to take up the €35 offer from these muppets! .... methinks it is time for you to trade up to a more reliable service provider. Faults will happen on any network... it helps to have a customer service desk that answer your calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

parasite wrote:
    I have the same problem now, mayto, how did you fix it/what was wrong with it ?

Turned out that the 'phone' part of the dsl splitter was faulty :rolleyes:

Advertisement