Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axe Tax

Options
  • 14-05-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I remember as a young lad at the Motor Show in the RDS they were giving out stickers for "Axe Tax" which was a movement to abolish road tax because we were not getting value for money.

Does anyone think now that there is a much higher % of road users and we are probably getting less value for money this could take off again ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its not the only tax thats been wasted.

They should have a tax band beneath 1000cc aswell. About 700 and 500 IMO. They should also show more clearly how the money has been spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clearly revenue from road tax is vastly higher than back in the late 80s when that Axe The Tax campaign ran (and failed!)

I would scrap it entirly and whack it on the fuel trouble is that would proberly be seen as even worse by politicans as they would no doubt fail to sell it properly to the public.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The tax they should axe is VRT, I am very soon importing a 2nd hand used Beemer from the UK and could pick up a perfect 99-00 model for around €6,000- €7,000 (the same thing being around €15,000 here :mad: ) Anyway I checked up the VRT rate calculator here and it will cost €2,602 to get Irish plates for the bloody thing which is making me reconsider the entire idea. I had placed the whole idea of my life on getting that nice car for average money and staying here for at least a year or two. Like I could afford to pay it easily but I didn't get to such financial luxury by spending where it isn't needed. It is completely anti-competitive and goes against the entire Neoliberal "freemarket" I swear I am so mad right now I might just leave for New Zealand as was my original plan.

Axe the Tax, gimme me an axe right now, I know a few FF politicians :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I swear I have pity on anyone who was in my position two years ago. There really and truly is no future here. Add about 3 grand Insurance to it over those boyracer W*nkers. I hate modern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

:rolleyes: I thought you were a millionaire? I'd be expecting you not to be scrimping on a car :rolleyes:

Advertisement