Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you eat?

• 14-05-2006 12:49pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking, I'm more concerned with convenience than making a big effort to cook somehting nice, most of the time anyway. I constantly find myself buying exactly the same stuff in the supermarket every time, and after 2 or 3 days when I've eaten all the good stuff I eat the same bring crap for dinner every time. Too many frozen/microwave meals, having a cup of tea and come cereal instead of a proper meal, not good. Up until now I was working in a job where I had a great canteen and had a good breakfeast and lunch anyway, but I no longer have that and need to start making a bit of an effort... I'm pretty skinny, and really I don't enjoy food as much as most other people, but the last thing I need to do is loose more weight so I want to start getting some ideas...

So my question to you is what meals do you eat most? What do you find is easiest/handiest/quickest meals that you enjoy and eat often? As I usually cook for 1 or 2 I tend not to buy stuff that has a short shelf life. Even a half a loaf will usually go mostly uneaten! I can freeze chicken etc but then have to think about exactly when I want to eat them to defrost them in time which doesn't always work out.

Can anyone give a kitchen phobic guy some tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For convenience, I go for simple pasta dishes.

Tuna Napolitana for example is quick to do and not expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Im also a great fan of pasta dishes. They rarely require more than 15 minutes including preparation.

I eat a lot of Marks&Spencer ready meals too (not the ones that include rice) :o But as ready meals go they're by far the best. I usually mix in an extra portion of green veg and eat them with wholegrain rice.

If you've got a freezer, then I'd recommend a microwave too, so you can defrost quickly thus avoiding the need to plan too far ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I generally buy a lot of plastic take away style trays and freeze off dinners in them.

Basically I buy fresh fruit and veg, normally organic and then make up a stew or a pasta or a chili or the like then weigh it off into 250-300g portions depending on what it is and let them cool overnight and freeze them.
    The advantage is that I use the time at the weekend and this enables me to do something nice that can take time.
    I have it at the stage where I have a selection of a few different things at the moment in the freezer, Irish stew, chili, pasta, lamb stew and a spicy sausage stew. If I get sick of any of it I just add some chili sauce to it when heating it up to vary it.
    The reason I am bothered to put in the effort is that the GF doesn't have a canteen at work so I like for her to have healthy stuff to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What sort of grub do you like? Spicy/plain?
    Any preferences for meat & vegetables?
    Likewise for style - Irish/Italian/Mexican/Chinese/Thai.

Let me know & I'll see if I can come up with a few suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pasta dishes are very simple and when I'm making my own dinners, it's usually the route I go, either as a main meal or a side serving. With different sauces even when eaten several times a week pasta is not as bland as you might think...

Fried marinated chicken and pasta is a delicious meal, and takes literally about 12 minutes to make. Chicken curry is also very easy to make and is delicious. But that's just me, I love chicken, and I could easily eat only these two dishes for the rest of my life :)

I too am guilty of the "I'm not arsed to make dinner" sympthom, sometimes eating cereal or biscuits instead of an actual dinner. Very unhealthy! But of course, you know that...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement