Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contact lenses

• 14-05-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Thought this would be the best forum to put this in....

I love wearing my contacts but even when Ive had them in for an hour they really dry my eyes which is really uncomfortable. I wear daily disposables and only wear them when Im going out at the weekend.Im using johnson ones at the mo which are meant to hydrate your eyes a bit more but they still dry my eyes. Thing is I find that cos my eyes are dry my mascara and eyelinel always look a bit crappy after an hour or so? At first I thought maybe its the mascara that is drying my eyes but have loads used of diffferent mascaras and only have the prob when my contacts are in.

Has anyone go any tips to hydrate my eyes a bit and does anyone know of a good pair of contacts that wont cause this problem??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Acuvue hydrogels. They are weekly.Most comfortable on the market. Ask for a sample and try them.

And use eye drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I'd recommend using the comfort drops you can get in specsavers, and I'm sure, any other optician. When I first got disposable contacts I was given a few small samples of the drops. It was a little sheet of small, long, hard plastic capsules wiht the liquid inside. You snap one out and snap off the top and it acts as a dropper. I rarely find that I need to use the drops but I did at the time just to see how they were, and they seemed good. I'm not sure if you can buy the drops in that capsule form normally but I know you can get it in some way or another.

Just go into the opticians and see what they have on the shelf, or ask the staff. It's not something that would require an appointment as it's just a retail thing really and it's something the dispensing optician on the floor can deal with, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You should talk to your optician about different types of lenses and possibly hard lenses (the new generation of hard lenses are actually more comfortable than soft lenses).

Hayfever season is starting up as well now which may cause your eyes to become dry and you can't use hayfever drops with soft contact lenses unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yep, straight back to your optician and describe the situation to him or her. Get them to fit you with a range of dailies over a few days and report back to them on which you find the most comfortable and least drying on your eyes. If the opt. is unwilling to do this find one who will.
    Also beware of what other people tell you about their own experiences as there is no one lens that will suit everybody. I have worked in a large lens manufacturing facility for some years now and take part in trials for new products from time to time. Up until recently I have been using a competing brand as the lenses we make are just not suitable for me. I eventually did find a brand we make that are acceptable to me, but that was after years of shelling out for daily disposables. They are not quite perfect for me but €130 a year versus €400 will win every time.
    Also look at Lasik surgery if your budget allows. I hope to go down that route eventually.

Lasik surgery isn't really suitable for people with dry eyes and it can make the problem even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Stark wrote:
    Lasik surgery isn't really suitable for people with dry eyes and it can make the problem even worse.

Really cos I was thinking of getting this done?

Well the technique may have improved recently so I can't say with absolute certainty. But dry eyes used to definitely be a problem with it. You'll have to go for an evaluation before having it done anyway, and they'll tell you if you're a suitable candidate or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had the same prob with my lenses and the optician changed the brand. He was saying that all of the different vendors have patents on the lenses, solutions etc so they're not all the same. If you're only wearing them at the weekend thou could that be the problem - did you let your eyes build up a tolerence to the lenses - ie starting with an hour and building this up each day to get your eyes used to the lenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Stark wrote:
    I don't think the OP has dry eyes, the problem only arises when she wears contacts (I think).
    Tk123 makes a very good point OP, you should build up a tolerance, maybe 2 hours the first day, 3 the next and so on. For every day you don't wear lenses you drop back an hour. As you are only wearing them after a five day break every week this could well be the problem.
    And if it comes to it......glasses can be tres sexy. :cool:

Advertisement