Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old car documentation - do you keep it.

Options
  • 14-05-2006 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

Doing a clear out and was wondering. How long do you keep the old documentation of cars you no longer own, cars that you've sold or scrapped? NCT certs, tax discs, reciepts etc. Insurance I would expect everyone keeps all the details from your very first policy. Is there any legal requirements to any of it, other than the current documentation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Doing a clear out and was wondering. How long do you keep the old documentation of cars you no longer own, cars that you've sold or scrapped? NCT certs, tax discs, reciepts etc. Insurance I would expect everyone keeps all the details from your very first policy. Is there any legal requirements to any of it, other than the current documentation?

I usually put NCT certs into service record for next owner but I shred tax and insurance details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Good point about the NCT as it shows what work was needed on the car. Would you not need insurance to prove your no claims in the event of switching insurance companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Good point about the NCT as it shows what work was needed on the car. Would you not need insurance to prove your no claims in the event of switching insurance companies?

I would usually wait until the new policy is in operation before destroying anything. The new insurance company would get the No Claims Cert on an ad hoc basis anyway if they required it (although some companies send it out when you change to another one as a matter of course). They would have all the details on file anyway should it be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suggest you hang on to insurance certs at least for a few years - someone might take a while making a claim against you, that you might know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Victor wrote:
    I suggest you hang on to insurance certs at least for a few years - someone might take a while making a claim against you, that you might know nothing about.

Indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement