Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Regulations for new Extension

Options
  • 14-05-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    I couldn't find a suitable forum for this thread. i am planning a kitchen extension and need to know what is exempted development. It'll be one storey and about 4m x 5m. I live in North Tipp if that makes a difference.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    thegills

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

thegills wrote:
    Howdy,
    I couldn't find a suitable forum for this thread. i am planning a kitchen extension and need to know what is exempted development. It'll be one storey and about 4m x 5m. I live in North Tipp if that makes a difference.
    thegills

I think at 20 sq metres you would be exempt provided that the house has not been extended previously. The limit for exemption also differs according to the type of house (terraced/semi/detached) and possibly your local authority development plan. I'm open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

thegills wrote:
    Howdy,
    thegills

Have a look at page 2 of this document and you should find most of the info you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Guys,
    Thats perfect thanks a million. Now all I need is a reputable builder in the area.
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

You can build without PP Something along the lines of 40SQ Mtrs as long as you leave 20Sq Mtrs of garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

A word of caution on planning-exempt developments. Only rear-only development which is more than 2m (I think it's 2m, worth checking) from any boundary wall is exempt. I mention this because I bought a semi-d that had an exemption cert. When I went to sell it, the buyers engineer pointed out that it wasn't actually exempt because the extension was partly on the side of the house, and also it extended to the party wall. I'd say that few of the rear extensions being built at the moment are actually exempt, because to adhere to the 2m limit means you have fvck all room left to develop.

The end of my story is that I had to apply for planning retention of the extension as part of the sale contract, and the buyers are holding back a sum until the conditions which were attached to the grant of permission are satisfied. I have to get dual-flush toilets, and a grease trap and a water meter have to be installed in the drive. Bloody pain in my arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement