Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hard Drive

Options
  • 14-05-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm buying a new Hard Drive from Komplett and was thinking about the Seagate Barracuda as I already have a Samsung and think it's very noisy.

Something thats fast.

Around 200 or 250 Gb.

Any reccommendations?

Thanks.

Also, is it difficult to uninstall and install a new harddrive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Hitachi Deskstars are very good preforming and quite drives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've never found the Deskstars to be particularly quiet especially when run hard. That said their performance is excellent. If you purely want a quiet disk buy a Seagate Barracuda. Also, the Samsung Spinpoint drives are known for being quiet - I'd check mine if I found it to be noisy?

Also, have a look this 250Gb roundup on Storage Review.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its easy to install and uninstall Harddrives.

Do you have IDE or SATA?

If you dont know what this is, tell me the make and model of your PC and ill find out...

But the Hitachi Deskstar gets my vote, very fast and not loud.....

I have a Samsung Spinpoint its very quiet and I never had any problems with it......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

There's a new 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drive with 188GB per platter I think. The drive has a 16MB cache and 5 year warranty - I haven't seen any benchmarks yet, but it sounds very promising. Available on komplett for 120 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

The samsung drives are noted for being cool,. quiet and relatively speedy. Samsung's quietness depends on whether the motors are made by nidec (quiet) or jvc (not too quiet). I have a SP1614C SATA (nidec) and it's quiet as a mouse... but I also have a 250GB Samsung PATA (jvc) and it's too noisy to use without headphones on.

Seagates are quiet (I have an old 40GB and I can hardly hear it), Western Digitals are known to be on the louder side (the older one that I have is), Maxtors are considered unreliable and Hitachi Travelstars are known by some as Hitachi Deathstars (because they're known to 'die' on the job ).

Fujitsus are also good if you're looking for a 2.5" drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement