Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The story with the slowdown and its fix.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yay, subscribing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i'm a Mod and a subscriber....

does that make my searching even faster?

Gets my hybrid vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hagar wrote:
    Don't worry. I bought a big box of pencils and notebooks, we can share.
    Typical, the mods get search, the hmods get pencils and paper, that they have to provide themselves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Typical, the mods get search, the hmods get pencils and paper.

shut yer gob or I'll take the pencils off you too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Typical, the mods get search, the hmods get pencils and paper, that they have to provide themselves.
    [pseudo Chinese accent]
    Grasshopper, the first step towards understanding your own importance is to realize that you have none.
    Only when you have a true knowledge of your own worthlessness will you understand why you don't matter.
    [/pseudo Chinese accent]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Beruthiel wrote:
    shut yer gob or I'll take the penis off you too

Like ewwwh surely that would mean you having to touch him there Lady Bru ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You get "boards.ie" custom pencils and headed paper, that come out of your salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Salary???? Moved to Humour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thaedydal wrote:
    Like ewwwh surely that would mean you having to touch him there Lady Bru ?

they can be passed through the letterbox in a plastic bag.
    I'll be wearing rubber gloves....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They? How many penises do you think I have?
    I'll be wearing a rubber glove too.

To bump this back up, had a long wait just there for one page, which was then cleared.

beaker: Page generated in 38.10611 seconds with 15 queries (trying to open the FS Computer Hardware page: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=452)

beaker: Page generated in 41.43618 seconds with 15 queries (trying to open the Forums page: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461)

And obviously the bottleneck cleared, because...

beaker: Page generated in 0.83415 seconds with 11 queries (opening this page). Time was all in the past 3 minutes.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, the lads have greatly improved the service we are getting from these servers but that just means more room for more users to come and gobble those resources up. They're still on the job but we might just be topping out what we can squeeze from these machines. We're still planning an upgrade, we just arent sure what form that will take.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

DeVore wrote:
    We're still planning an upgrade, we just arent sure what form that will take.

DeV.

More and bigger breasts

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Regi's man-breasts are currently sufficient for the job :p
    (Indeed I'm getting to be a bit portly myself....)

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote:
    Indeed I'm getting to be a bit portly myself.

Well I did not want to say anything to you but now that its out in the open good luck with your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

DeVore wrote:
    Regi's man-breasts are currently sufficient for the job :p

rofflopolis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Seems to be taking "longer than usual" today to load pages:

beaker: Page generated in 1.19054 seconds with 11 queries

Roughly 2 seconds on avg.

2 seconds I can live with :)

Our visitors per day has shot up, meaning that we have released more resources and are processing pages faster but more people means we'll slow down a bit again. Thankfully with Search gone, we no longer get these huge lag ups. Its a pity but its just brutal on the machines as you have experienced.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

They? How many penises do you think I have?

Did you not get the complimentary extra penis for every forum moderated like the rest of us?

(or did you go for the extra boobies...)

edit: I just got "beaker: Page generated in 9.26946 seconds with 13 queries" although on average it seems to take between 2 and 5 seconds to render a page... and I'm on 3.76 megabit broadband...

By the way... would it help the server if the "My Posts" search which is/was linked to from the home page was restricted in that it only brought back the users last - say - 50 posts, instead of 500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

How about sticking in a server solely for search.
    All search queries get sent there.
    That way, regular non-search-using people will be able to fly around the boards with no hassle or speed issues, but those power users who really *need* a search will have the (abeit minor) hassle of waiting 30 seconds for their result.

Just an idea, mabye its been posted before.

Boards is lovely and fast for me lately, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Searching been disabled again, ja?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya, dunno why though I was'nt aware of any slowdowns.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I noticed a few database errors thismorning. That may have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Any plans to use the new search for the "Find all posts by [username]" feature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoardTracker

Thread search by author will be in the next version.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Does the 'New Posts' query search for new posts or just new threads? Because when I it click there's barely any results returned.

Also running a search at 16:57 and the first result returned is 15:47 22-Jun-06, over an hour old.

Is this a very beta version of the facility or can we expect search to work like this from now on?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

You can do that if you know their ID... e.g.

http://www.boardtracker.com/cgi-bin/display_member.pl?board=531&member=25896

for you... Shows their last 25 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WTF??? Whats happened to the new posts feature?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    WTF??? Whats happened to the new posts feature?

Mike.

Please God, its only a temp error. This is the one feature I would miss most from Boards.ie

Advertisement