Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The story with the slowdown and its fix.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis the DNA of boards!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Have to say the New "New Posts" search isnt great.

I dont mind the search being performed throught boards tracker too much, but the UI need working on.

The old one was pretty much perfect imo.

Plenty of threads in the minimum amount of screen real estate.

This one is too sparse.

Keep it evolving though!

However maybe it would be better to have it as a beta?? Like you normally do with the VB upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Yeah but normally vb upgrades dont rape us up the arse like a japanese schoolgirl like the built in vb search does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Asok wrote:
    dont rape us up the arse like a japanese schoolgirl
    Speaking from experience here, are we? :D

Seems fairly slow today.

beaker: Page generated in 20.62510* seconds with 11 queries this page, a few minutes before this post.

*Though it's taking between a minute or two in reality. Avatars are also struggling to load here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yeah had a slight problem with beaker. Restarted apache.

Cloud wrote:
    Yeah had a slight problem with beaker. Restarted apache.

The main www.boards.ie times out for me, so I'm using wang.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

There is no wang, it's statler (* matches it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I couldnt access boards there for about an hour, i finally got in but it feels like im on 56k :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

We may have wang online before the end of the weekend as the box for the NEU MEMBERS SPACE

• Advertisement

Cloud wrote:
    There is no wang, it's statler (* matches it).

This is what I was thinking, I was using wang.board.ie, but as you said beaker was reset, and it said beaker on the bottom. But no matter how long I waited ,the www. timed out.

Anyways I'll shut up now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

www was timing out for me all day too. Oh anyway to search a users posts yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

boards.ie needs more wang.

Googles servers tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

so as boards.ie grows theres just going to be more and more servers piled on? just amazing I've never heard of a site that has a 3 server cluster (soon to be 4) to deal with its load.

Jakkass wrote:
    so as boards.ie grows theres just going to be more and more servers piled on? just amazing I've never heard of a site that has a 3 server cluster (soon to be 4) to deal with its load.
    You havent??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Something Awful have 8 Itaniums and a very custom VB 2.7 just to handle the loads. Their technical coder guy is writing a new forum just because VB is so crap. Maybe we should try buy it haha.

boards.ie® - hosted by Google®

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Jakkass wrote:
    In work we have a 3 server webfarm with a twin box SQL cluster and a few other servers such as image upload FTP etc. All servers are Dell 2850 with 4Gb of Ram and quad 3.XGhz xeons. Its not that unusual having said that it serves approx 20-30ish Irish sites and 4 US sites. With a combined total hits far higher than here, so a 3 server farm for a single site is strange but i have no idea the specs of the servers on boards.

On the other hand in work we also have a 4 web server farm with 2 SQL server cluster (same spec on each box as above) for a customer who would have < 2000 hits a day if even. And they want to add more servers to it to up the power. (I know we tried to explain but they just wont listen and besides its their cash.) Oh its a single website by the way.

In work we have a 3 server webfarm with a twin box SQL cluster and a few other servers such as image upload FTP etc. All servers are Dell 2850 with 4Gb of Ram and quad 3.XGhz xeons. Its not that unusual having said that it serves approx 20-30ish Irish sites and 4 US sites. With a combined total hits far higher than here, so a 3 server farm for a single site is strange but i have no idea the specs of the servers on boards.

On the other hand in work we also have a 4 web server farm with 2 SQL server cluster (same spec on each box as above) for a customer who would have < 2000 hits a day if even. And they want to add more servers to it to up the power. (I know we tried to explain but they just wont listen and besides its their cash.) Oh its a single website by the way.

Boards has a lot of sever power needed tho due to the flaws in vBulletin which is horrendousuly inneficent!

• Advertisement

Maybe they're accessing it over 56k and think it'll be faster if they buy more servers emot-pseudo.gif

Heheh SA probabay need new servers due to CuLTs robbing of all their smileys!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, some time ago Regi did a big restructure of the hardware to give us a structure that allows us to slot in more webservers pretty easily.

There is a delicate balance to be preserved, each new member has to bring enough (even just a few cent) to the pot so that when we need a new server, the money is there for it. So far thats been working ok.... hence we always seem to have the cash for a new server just as its required (or just a bit after its required :) )

I'd love to see Boards.ie... hosted by Google :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think you should aim higher: Google hosted by boards.ie

And then we can disable search when we run outta server power, noone will mind then! Who neds google to be able to search!??

Dev whle your here, anyway to reenable searching user posts, kinda an important one for selling stuff etc. Lotta peeps would like that back before the main search if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Boards has a lot of sever power needed tho due to the flaws in vBulletin which is horrendousuly inneficent!
    as VBulletin improves do you reckon there will be less server power used or more server power used

Jakkass wrote:
    as VBulletin improves do you reckon there will be less server power used or more server power used
    Hehe well, it depends on how u look at it. vB IMPROVING would use less, but new vB editions often tack extras on.
    Somethingaweful as cult said use a hacked old vB to just run!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Jakkass wrote:
    Well surely an upgrade could hardly be classed as an "improvement" if the previous versions flaw of being 'horrendously inefficient' on server resources hasn't been positively tackled.

(So yes, "less server power used" would be the answer... hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Bard wrote:
    Well surely an upgrade could hardly be classed as an "improvement" if the previous versions flaw of being 'horrendously inefficient' on server resources hasn't been positively tackled.

(So yes, "less server power used" would be the answer... hopefully)

Thats why XP is an 'improvement' over W2K :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who mentioned google!?

B@stards!

Mike.

Advertisement