Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon 64 Overclocking Discussion ( post here with questions/advice)

• 14-05-2006 3:51pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Ok, Alot of people have been asking about overclocking lately, and I have been getting a lot of PMs, So I thought I would make a thread where people can ask questions and just get general advice about overclocking.

Overclocking Guides and articles on forums.amd.com

Overclocking turboguide

So, Let the questions begin:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks for this thread Conzy :) (I PM'd earlier to ask for any advice)
    I'm going to have a look through those links and get back to this thread then.

I've an Opteron 144 (one of the early ones),
    Zalman cooler (cant remember which model. Huge though :D )
    A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard,
    OCZ platinum Revision 2 ram,
    Fortron 400w PSU,
    XFX Geforce 7800gt xxx edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

good 1 cozzy pm 1 of the mods to sticky.even tho there only on in a blue moon.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ill wait another while, if its popular im sure it will be stickied:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

great links !

also thanks for all the help man !! :-)

but Bios is not saving when power is fully switched off :-(

try a new batrey.

• Advertisement

did that :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I think this thread should deffinatly be stickied i know when i get my system in the new year (hopefully) i would rally appreciate an overclocking thread.If it is sticked i think it will grow and provide a good place for overclocking newbs to come and read through to get the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

I have an AMD 64 3500+ in a HP laptop, would i be able to overclock it? Would i get a large speed increase? Is it hard? Is it dangerous?
    Other specs:
    1 gb RAM
    128 MB radeon X200

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Drapper wrote:
    great links !

also thanks for all the help man !! :-)

but Bios is not saving when power is fully switched off :-(

I know this seems obvious but is your c-mos jumper turned to on?

:D

Thats what I thought too, but he checked and its not....

@Psycopat, You can overclock it with clockgen if it supports you chipset.

But overclocking a laptop isnt dangerous as it will shutdown if it gets to hot.

But you cant adjust voltage so heat shouldnt be a major problem......

Just remember if you manage to overclock it power consumption will increase and battery life will shorten

P.s Come to think of it there is no Ram divider options in clockgen so you will be limited by what speed the ram can do.

A 200mhz overclock may be possible, but I dont think its worth the possibe instability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Thanks for that conzy, i dont think ill risk it because it already gets quite hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im still having problems overlcoking my 3500. ive even bought some super fast 4800ddr and its not helping, ive added a seasonic 600w psu and to no avail. ive upped the vcore to 1.55/1.6 upped the dram, put a divider between ram/fsb 1:1. but 2.6 is the max i can get. do you think this is the cpu limit ? as its only hitting 39C under full load in prime95 and continious 3dmark loops. should i consider watercooling ? any help at all is welcome :)

2.6ghz is probably the chips limit, its a good overclock for a venice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This thread helped me out a lot starting to seriously overclock my system, thanks to conzy and worth a look as it will more than likely apply to most AMD 64's.

A bit of help with overclocking

Also here are my results, worth checking if you have a similar build and want to know what to expect.

Overclocking log

Also here is a handy url to work out what is the best balance to get the most out of your system if you already know the limits of your hardware.

Athlon 64 Optimizer

Hows the Cmos Drapper?

conzymaher wrote:
    Hows the Cmos Drapper?

mobo was faulty, IT direct replacing it as we speak !

Fair Play to them excellent service by Gary and ~Reece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Conzy,

Any idea what kind of overclock I could expect from an Athlon X2 3800 with water cooling? The motherboard is an Abit AN8 32X and the memory is 1GB (512MB x 2) of Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PRO.

Thanks,
    Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭zerodown

Hey i recently overclocked my new machine. Its currently running stock cooling. I came across a few major flaws with a few motherboards. My specs:

AMD64 4000 san diego 2.4ghz
    Gigabyte K8n9mf Pci express,sata
    2x1 gb cosair twinx C2 ram
    Nvidia Geforce 6600 256mb
    450 Watt PSU

As standard its configured :
    2412mhz
    5x Ht Multiplyer
    12x Cpu Multiplyer
    200mhz HTT Bus (x Ht Multi)
    Full load temp 45c

So some minor tweaking i was able to get 2.6 ghz easily:
    2589mhz
    4x Ht Multiplyer
    12x Cpu Multiplyer
    214mhz Htt Bus
    Full load temp 49c

Note: When i pushed the fsb passed 214 the system would not boot. I used a ram divider of 5:6 so there was no way my ram is holding it back. I then noticed the Sata disk had disappered from bios.

Solution: I checked the sata disk and realised i had being overclocking that with the Ht Fsb. Hense it locked at 214mhz and just about blew up the disk.

So what you need to do is, if using sata disks put them on ports 3+4 not 1+2 as the first two are unlocked and you destroy your disk completly

eo980 wrote:
    Hey Conzy,

Any idea what kind of overclock I could expect from an Athlon X2 3800 with water cooling? The motherboard is an Abit AN8 32X and the memory is 1GB (512MB x 2) of Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PRO.

Thanks,
    Liam

would say you would would do well overclocking with that gear.

eo980 wrote:
    Hey Conzy,

Thanks,
    Liam

You should get at least FX-60 speeds, maybe 2.7ghz......

Im not sure how your ram will overclock, Corsair model numbers confuse me:confused:

IRC you have a Passive Zalman reserator Water cooler?

What are load temps like at stock?

@zerodown, What board do you have? Does it have a via chipset? I am nearly 100% sure that all Nforce4 ultra/sli boards have locked Sata ports.

Because if the PCI frequency is set to 33.33mhz in the bios the SATA ports should stay locked......

• Advertisement

Yeah I have a Reserator, I haven't checked what the temps are yet, must do that. The board has the nForce 4 Sli chipset. You lost me with the talk of locked SATA ports, excuse my ignorance, but what does that have to do with anything???

are they easy to install how much are the reseraotrs.

awhir wrote:

look on peats website www.peats.com

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8804&type=6&sid=1381073x0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Just got a new basic system AMD XP 3000+ and was thinking of overclocking it and read in the first link; "WARNING OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY".

Can they really tell the difference between bad/sub-optimal thermal linkage with heat-sink and genuine over-clocking?

Anyone know if they are serious about this or if 3/yr guarantee on processor is just honoured if it doesn't look like its been in an over-degreaser ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭zerodown

conzymaher wrote:
    @zerodown, What board do you have? Does it have a via chipset? I am nearly 100% sure that all Nforce4 ultra/sli boards have locked Sata ports.

Because if the PCI frequency is set to 33.33mhz in the bios the SATA ports should stay locked......

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NMF-9 F9 ,Yes as far as i can see pci is locked at 100mhz and the newest driver was to fix that issue with unlocked ports?

What would be the problem with passing 214? Also why does the sata disk disable?

awhir wrote:

The Reserator is pretty easy to install, you just have to approach it with a bit of common sense and you'll be alright. My machine is so quiet now it's fantastic. Which is good as we listen to alot of music with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I have and AMD 64 3700+ PC on a ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2 with 1024MB of RAM, I get 2.2Ghz out of it but I would like to have a bit more could anyone tell me about how I should go about doing it

Jakkass wrote:
    I have and AMD 64 3700+ PC on a ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2 with 1024MB of RAM, I get 2.2Ghz out of it but I would like to have a bit more could anyone tell me about how I should go about doing it

read the first post of this thread ! Cozzy provided liks!

whats your Board? are you using water cooling or air? and whats your current temps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i'm using fans, and AsRock 939NF4G-SATA2 is the motherboard, I have no clue of current temperature

• Advertisement

GEt Motherboard Monitor and check your teps before you do antthing !!

Advertisement