Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon 64 Overclocking Discussion ( post here with questions/advice)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Just got a new basic system AMD XP 3000+ and was thinking of overclocking it and read in the first link; "WARNING OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY".

Can they really tell the difference between bad/sub-optimal thermal linkage with heat-sink and genuine over-clocking?

Anyone know if they are serious about this or if 3/yr guarantee on processor is just honoured if it doesn't look like its been in an over-degreaser ad?

Do you have an Athlon XP or an Athlon 64 3000?

Anyway, I dont know if AMD are bothered to check every CPU that comes back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

conzymaher wrote:
    Do you have an Athlon XP or an Athlon 64 3000?

Anyway, I dont know if AMD are bothered to check every CPU that comes back.....
    Its an Athlon 64 3000. I reckon its fine for now... Will age it at least a couple of weeks before I give it a run for my money :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

3000+ venices overclock very nicely

Yup, You could get 2.6ghz +

You are almost guaranteed a 400mhz+ overclock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

What could i expect to overclock an amd 64 3700+ 2.2ghz to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Psycopat wrote:

I think the lads will need to know :-

1. Mobo you got
    2. RAM and timings
    3. Cooling you got

then I think they can give you a few tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok cozzy going to overclocking soon and wanted some advice.i was reading lots of guides and am abit confuesd :CONFUESED .the guides recommend at first to find the max of your ram and then cpu but when i was in the dfi bios it really confused me all the settings.i was trying to look for the htt to raise my ram past 250 but could not find could you please help me out on trying to guide my self tru the dfi bios because it so confusing lol.tnx hope you can help.

@ Psycopat, Your ram wont overclock much, and the PSU may be a little on the weak side....

What amparage does it have on the 12v rail(s)?

The 3700 is a great overclocker as it uses the same san diego core as the opterons.........

Mine is currently at 3ghz @1.47vcore. And it could probably do 3.2ghz:eek:

@ Awhir, most of the settings are self explanatory, also have a gawk here;)

i did printed the whole guide out before lol its just some boards have diffrent namings for diffrent things and im confused :SAD

• Advertisement

He he, you'll work it out:D

Im on my lappy now and I couldnt be arsed checking what The HTT is called in my Bios:D

Im pretty sure its just called HTT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Psycopat wrote:

Myself i'm getting 2.8Ghz outta my +3700 and i think conzy is up to 3Ghz on air, if you read around a few reviews this chip does pretty well with overclocking, and usually won't have heat issues with a moderate overclock.

I posted some links on the first page of this thread about overclocking my system and the help i got. You system specs look similar (same make of mobo, same amount of ram) so you might try just following the changes i made and benching your system from there

ok trying to find my max cpu speed now have it on 1.5v is that all right and its doing super pi and hitting 54c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1.5 is fine, anything above 1.55Vcore is starting to push the envelope.

ok my cpu is to hot its at 48c when not doing anything and im only at 1.425v.will try to reapleay some thermal paste.

ok put new paste on the cpu and hope that will work will i let it settle or push the cpu to its limits now ??

what speed are you getting ?
    use CPUZ to see the chages ! http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

have it im on 2.5 at the mo but will hopefully get it to 2.6 or 2.7

the temps are much better after i reinstalled the paste im at 46c at full load now and before it would be 56-57c

awhir wrote:
    have it im on 2.5 at the mo but will hopefully get it to 2.6 or 2.7

the temps are much better after i reinstalled the paste im at 46c at full load now and before it would be 56-57c

good stuff and your ram timings? what does CPU Z say?

/edit whe you say full load you mean with games running ? etc etc? what are your idle temps??

as the lads say keep it under 1.5v

ya im just trying to get the max cpu speed at the moment takes a good while.

will do ram next :D

• Advertisement

Give it 1.55vcore If you want, the Dual cores can take a little more juice than the single cores......

I would set the Vcore to 1.5 in the bios and see if you can get 2.6ghz, if not I would go to 1.55 But I wouldnt go higher than 1.55 yet, maybe in a few months when its not as valuable:D

super pi keeps reseting the pc a t 2.7 so will try 2.65 and hope fully that should work.:D

Even 2.6ghz is very nice......

An FX-60 for €380 instead of €1150:D

awhir wrote:
    super pi keeps reseting the pc a t 2.7 so will try 2.65 and hope fully that should work.:D

temps, power, timings??

L31mr0d wrote:
    Myself i'm getting 2.8Ghz outta my +3700 and i think conzy is up to 3Ghz on air, if you read around a few reviews this chip does pretty well with overclocking, and usually won't have heat issues with a moderate overclock.

I posted some links on the first page of this thread about overclocking my system and the help i got. You system specs look similar (same make of mobo, same amount of ram) so you might try just following the changes i made and benching your system from there

cheers ill give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

awhir wrote:
    ok put new paste on the cpu and hope that will work will i let it settle or push the cpu to its limits now ??
    For a good contact to last a few months, it's best to let it cure fully. The temps should even drop a wee bit in a week or so (maybe a degree).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭zerodown

Recently started overclocking my new machine, current specs:

Amd 4000 - san diego @2569mhz
    Fsb @ 214mhz x cpu Multi 12x
    Ht Multi 4x
    2x1gig Cosair twinx @ 2.5-3-3-6 1T
    800 gb 2x300gb Sata2 + 1 x200g Sata1
    Gigabyte GA-K8NMF-9 F9 MB

First of my only problem is passing 214mhz fsb. I lowered the ram divider from 2:2 to 5:6 and lower the cpu multi so all i was overclokcing was the HT fsb. Stable at 214 but will not boot at 216mhz??

Anyone any idea why? Changed the sata ports incase they were unlocked also but stil no luck. Thanks in advance!

going to get the max outa my ram now :D

ok cant seem to get it stable so for the time being i will drop it down to 250 think its my ram but 2500 is fine for me at the moment :D

• Advertisement

what are your ram timing s?

Advertisement