Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon 64 Overclocking Discussion ( post here with questions/advice)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

(tcl)3 (trcd)4 (trp)4 (trc)7 at 250 mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

awhir wrote:
    (tcl)3 (trcd)4 (trp)4 (trc)7 at 250 mhz

sounds great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Just got my pc made and im delighted with it. amd 3700 venice core 256mb radeon x850xt and a gig of ram, i dont think its worth overclocking this processor, its doin a super job at 2.2ghz :)

you could overclock it to 2.6 esay should try it fun the dfi guide is brillent.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Psycopat wrote:
    Just got my pc made and im delighted with it. amd 3700 venice core 256mb radeon x850xt and a gig of ram, i dont think its worth overclocking this processor, its doin a super job at 2.2ghz :)

Yay for 3700 owners:D

Its a beast of a CPU, and its just asking to be overclocked:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

give it a few weeks burn in time. Then overclock it. Oh and one thing which you should do even if you're not going to overclock it is go into your BIOS and set your ram command rate to 1T... it owns for a sudden performance boost out of your ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

L31mr0d wrote:
    give it a few weeks burn in time. Then overclock it. Oh and one thing which you should do even if you're not going to overclock it is go into your BIOS and set your ram command rate to 1T... it owns for a sudden performance boost out of your ram.

It's 1T by default anyway

Dman_15 wrote:
    It's 1T by default anyway

Mine wasn't. It depends on your RAM as well, some will default it to 2T.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The stepping of your cpu and ranking/config of memory modules and sticks can affect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

conzymaher wrote:
    Even 2.6ghz is very nice......

An FX-60 for €380 instead of €1150:D
    Dual core Opterons can match that 2x1Mb L2 cache of the FX-60, not to mention that they love water, as well as flirting with the 3G ;)
    29009fg.jpgtemps7zh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

^^

Up the voltage and go for it!

Yeah, you could give that chip 1.55vcore and 1.6 if you wanted:)

3ghz Dual core:eek:

And 1mb cache per core is nice:)

P.s Do you have ram on a divider?

Yeap, RAM is Gskill HZ 2x 1Gb at 267MHz (/166 divider) which I consider "ok" for two 1Gb modules in dual channel and 1T command rate.

Thats brilliant:)

Where did you get the CPU?

Komplett?

Whats the stepping ?

CCB1E 0609, from Komplett, I think I got one of the last parts, less than a month ago. It said "3 in stock" when I ordered...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

u can see from my sig what i'm running

want to over clock my chip, but can't. i narrowed it down to my mobo, i think put ram on a divider, and even brought down my cpu multiplier to check the mobo,
    i know my board would not be great for overclocking but i can seam to even get a 5% increase in the fbs. would something else be a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

awhir :P i will give you a litle word of wizdom: sig2animated

poggy wrote:
    u can see from my sig what i'm running

want to over clock my chip, but can't. i narrowed it down to my mobo, i think put ram on a divider, and even brought down my cpu multiplier to check the mobo,
    i know my board would not be great for overclocking but i can seam to even get a 5% increase in the fbs. would something else be a problem?

Hmmmmmm, Did you follow the guide? have you dropped the HTT bus multiplier? have you upped vcore?

Do a lot of research before overclocking your PC, if you dont know what you are doing you could break something or corrupt all your files......

are you sure your board has a SATA lock? im nearly positive that all nf4 boards are locked, but just be sure.......

A better idea for a sticky would be for everyone to post their overclock in a single post with all their settings in a standard form. Like an overclocking database.
    Then it could be used for refrence unlike this type of thread that clogs up with people posting problems etc where its almost impossible to get any useful information out.

Chosen wrote:
    Dual core Opterons can match that 2x1Mb L2 cache of the FX-60, not to mention that they love water, as well as flirting with the 3G ;)
    29009fg.jpgtemps7zh.jpg

Prime stable?

If it is thats impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hey guys just got an AMD San Diego 4000+ and I've been trying to overclock it without much luck.

I can barely get it over 2.5ghz without my system becoming unstable

My current spec is:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz Socket 939, 1MB (San Diego)
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    Geil Ultra-X PC3200 400MHz CL2 5-2-2 DDR (2x512mb)
    XFX GeForce 7900 GT 256MB
    520W OCZ ModStream PSU

Basically I've kept the Ram timings at 2-2-2-5(1t) and pushed the htt to around 210 and its become unstable. My previous cpu(3500+ Clawhammer) could take a htt of around 220 before the ram timings had to be adjusted.
    I'm no expert at overclocking but it feels like I'm missing something obvious?
    Anyone got a similar system to me, if so any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

same chip as you in my seconf pc running at 2.75 on air !

msn me if you need help bud

Try dropping HTT multi from X5 to X4, put the DRAM divider to 180/200 (aka 9/10) and try again: you need to find out first what's the bottleneck.
    Also: what cooling do you have on the cpu and what kind of voltages did you select from the BIOS (CPU, DDR, Chipset, etc.)

Ok this is my current settings

HTT = 205
    HTT multi = 4x
    CPU Multi = 12x
    Vcore = 1.4v
    DRAM voltage = 2.8v

Currently have a Zalman CNPS9500 and cpu temp is around 36 and 42 under load

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

One thing worth checkin out on A64's is their TcaseMax, this will show you it's max temp & rated power, higher these are the higher the potential oc. My 4400+ has a max temp of 59c and TDP of 89watts, same as an fx-60, runs stable on air at 2700'ish, but with the hot summer its at 2500 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i would look at the ram timings as the most likely culprit tbh, those are pretty tight timings for overclocking ram

i would look at the ram timings as the most likely culprit tbh, those are pretty tight timings for overclocking ram

Yea was thinking this myself, kind of defeats the purpose though of buying Ram that can run at those speeds if your running it at say 2.5-3-3-6 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

yeah it's a shame, but i guess pushing anything past its specs means compromising. still timings aren't everything (unless benchmarks are your goal)

try dropping your HTT multi = x3 got mine at was recommended on the dfi forums but may not be good for asus.

• Advertisement

can I ask, the Tcasemax temp for AMD64's, is it a rating for the CPU socket temp or the CPU diode temp? My Tcasemax is at 59'c for my 3700+

My temps at the moment with the 3700+ @ 2.75Ghz are 35-45'c for my CPU socket, but are from 25'c-35'c for the Diode using a Zalman 9500? So if the rating is for the diode, i've got a lot of room to OC, but if its for the socket i'll have to increase the clock slowly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement