Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Le Squad eh de French

• 14-05-2006 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes).

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United), Pascal Chimbonda (Wigan Athletic), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco) Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus).

Midfielders: Vikash Dhorasoo (Paris St Germain), Alou Diarra (Racing Lens), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Florent Malouda (Olympique Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Strikers: Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Franck Ribery (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Olympique Lyon).

Usual my 11 in bold, no Guily Pires or Anelka.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Pires and Anelka weren't really gonna make it anyway, but Giuly being left out is a shock, imo.

Also, I hoped that Mathieu Flamini might get a call-up at some stage given how brilliant for Arsenal he has been at left-back. Thought he might be the perfect versatile defender/midfielder squad player to bring along.

Still, it's a very strong squad all the same.

My XI from that lot:

Coupet

Chimbonda
    Gallas
    Thuram
    Sagnol

Makelele
    Malouda
    Vieira

Wiltord
    Trezeguet
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barthez
    Chimbonda - Thuram - Gallas - Abidal
    Makelele--Vieira
    Ribery
    Zidane
    Trezeguet--Henry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im very surprised Guily has been omitted, I thought he had a decent enough season with Barca even if he didnt play as many games as he would have liked.

My starting eleven would be the same as SebtheBum but with Wiltord playing as a sort of advanced winger like he does with Lyon. Malouda has to start for me, he is a cracking player. Zidane can be brought on later in the game when others are tired and he is fresh.

Coupet

Chimbonda
    Gallas
    Thuram
    Sagnol

Malouda
    Makelele
    Vieira
    Wiltord

Trezeguet
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The manager has named Barthez as his number 1 and he also stuck with Cisse and Boumsong in the qualifiers, so the line up will almost definitely be (i think) something like this....

Barthez

---- Sagnol ---- Thuram
    Boumsong
    Gallas

Viera ---- Makelele

Malouda/Wiltord
    Zidane

Cisse
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

SofaKing wrote:
    The manager has named Barthez as his number 1 and he also stuck with Cisse and Boumsong in the qualifiers, so the line up will almost definitely be (i think) something like this....

Barthez

---- Sagnol ---- Thuram
    Boumsong
    Gallas

Viera ---- Makelele

Malouda/Wiltord
    Zidane

Cisse
    Henry

How the hell would Cisse be playing ahead of Trezeguet or Saha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Barthez

---- Sagnol ---- Thuram
    Gallas
    Abidal

Viera ---- Makelele

Zidane

Ribery
    Cisse
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Delighted Ribery is in there, I was very impressed with him against Ireland for the under 21's and then against England again. Good player to have in reserve.

How the hell would Cisse be playing ahead of Trezeguet or Saha?
    Because he has done in the qualifiers. And Domenech is still the coach.

Personally, i would pick Saha to play alongside Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Delighted Ribery is in there, I was very impressed with him against Ireland for the under 21's and then against England again. Good player to have in reserve.
    He was immense in both games, he tore us apart at turners cross, and has been doing it all season in Ligue 1. Fantastic player to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

realistically will chimbonda start. he has no caps and was a bit of a shock call up imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hard to say, but hes an excellent right back, the best they have in the squad imo, he probably should be playing for sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Call_me_al wrote:
    realistically will chimbonda start. he has no caps and was a bit of a shock call up imo.

As good a chance as anyone there, good player and they are not overflowing with quality full backs.

kdjac

Nahhh, as good as he is, i think Gallas/Sagnol are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

SofaKing wrote:
    Nahhh, as good as he is, i think Gallas/Sagnol are better.

Gallas plays Cb for france, sagnol must be pushing 50 at this stage :d

kdjac

You sure? I think Boumsong & Thuram have been playing CB recently with Gallas on the flanks.

Gallas has been playing left back in the qualifiers, except against Ireland when he was at RB (and Givet at LB) to mark his club team mate, Duff.

Sagnol is 29, not too old.

Why is Giuly not in the squad? Is he injured?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sagnol is a class act and is only 29. Himself and Gallas are far better defenders than Chimbonda whose form has faded as the season has gone on and will be doing well to be more than a one season wonder as far as i'm concerned.

About time Ribery was selected, he is a terrific player. Overall I'm not very impressed with the squad selection, too many players past their best and too few on the way up. Dunno if the younger players are injured or what mind you.

I'd go with:

....................... Coupet

Sagnol ...... Thuram .... Gallas ..... Abidal

..................... Makelele

....................... Vieira

......... Ribery .... Malouda .... Zidane

....................... Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im surprised not to see mexes in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I'm suprised that N'Zogbia didn't get a call up given how well he has performed for Newcastle all season.

Coupet
    Chimbonda - Thuram - Gallas - Sagnol
    Makelele--Vieira
    Wiltord
    Zidane
    Trezeguet--Henry

Thats the team I would like to see, but for some reason the french coach loves Dhorasoo, so he will probably start. As will Boumsong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Im surprised not to see mexes in the squad
    Recently he's been a non-entity for Roma. Broke his foot last year, and since then has been plagued by other injuries, suspensions and bench-warming.

If Squillaci was fit he probably would've been picked. Also, should've picked Johan Micoud ahead of Ribery, dunno what Domenech is on.

Frankly, based purely on weight of talent and depth of squad, France would ordinarily surely be only just behind Brazil as second-favourites for the cup. As it is, with Domenech seemingly determined on picking Boumsong, leaving out class players like Giuly, and generally acting the nutjob tactically, most would say they haven't got a prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

cant believe Giuly isnt in there. Micoud also should be in there imo, i have a lot of time for him. France have as good a chance as anyone if they play to their potential, but can Domenech get them to?

My XI is :

Barthez
    Sagnol - Thuram - Gallas - Abidal
    Makelele----Viera
    Wiltord
    Zidane
    Henry---Trezeguet

• Advertisement
Advertisement