Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best Sat Nav with European maps

Options
  • 14-05-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

I have about 350-400 to spend on a sat nav for the car. I am off to Europe next week so I am looking to get one with decent european coverage? I notice a lot of units only come with UK/Ireland maps? I have narrowed it down to these:

Sony Nav U50 Argos €369

Acer PDA N35 Argos €369

Or maplins cheap and cheerful Streetpilot I2 £99 in UK.

Which ones would be best for what I want and if so how easy is it to get maps for these units with out having to pay extra?

I have come across some igo software (1gb) that covers all of europe available for download on the net. Is this anygood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm a big fan of the Garmin GPS devices. Make sure that whatever you buy has decent coverage of Ireland (look for reviews on the web). NavTeq mapping has among the best coverage for Ireland, and includes mapping for all of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have the sony unit and its a tenner cheaper if you go to PC world... It works very well and I've had it in Dublin this morning and was very impressed with it... might be a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The Punisher

I have the Garmin i3 Streetpilot this would be a better solution at the moment as the maps are upgradable compared to a lot of offerings currently:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Ok I take back my opinion on the sony... I had it two days and it started freezing I kept on having to reset it every hour or so. I brought it back and got me a Garmin Nuvi and all I can say about that is "FU cking briiliant" excellent mapping, SD card slot, Upgradable maps, mp3 player, pic viewer, language translator and the list goes on...... Definately the one to go for.. Plus Navteq are bringing out a new map for Ireland in the not to distant future with 100% coverage including the back roads that it currently hasn't got.

Advertisement