Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms expected on Tuesday

Options
  • 14-05-2006 6:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Think this is now worthy of its own thread. Some warm and humid weather is going to push up from the south tomorrow night and through Tuesday. Temperatures will reach 18, 19C in gentle Southwesterly winds. It is quite unusual in Ireland to get a reading on the lifted index of -3 which essentially means thunderstorms are likely as the cloud bubbles up through the day. Some good instability and a repeat of recent days may be on the cards:D

Rtavn5411.png

Should be some sunshine too;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Definately worth its own thread!!, looks exciting :)

I'll be cowering in my car or flat one the fireworks start!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

lol longfield after all these storms you might actually begin to enjoy them.
    Looks interesting alright and in sw winds can build them CB over carlow and laois and push them dublins way.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Certainly something to watch out for. Still 48hrs out so it can still change but the CAPE looks good and youve got colder air meeting warmer air around our shores. Not sure about intensity, but that is really only known under 12hrs out. Snowbie is spot on. A SW element all but ensures the East coast should get its fair share again. On Tuesday the showers should develope with convection inland much the same way as they did this week. Winds look reasonably light so showers would be slow moving again much like this week.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

high%2C_medium_and_low_cloud_cover!48!Europe!cloud!pop!od!oper!w_clouds!2006051412!!chart.gif

Cloud cover for Tuesday looks like being high so some good sunshine should develope:)

Snowbie wrote:
    lol longfield after all these storms you might actually begin to enjoy them.
    Looks interesting alright and in sw winds can build them CB over carlow and laois and push them dublins way.:D
    We generally get kilkenny's leftovers in a SW if its thundery...

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    We generally get kilkenny's leftovers in a SW if its thundery...

Very through Earthman but with convection over land and a prevailing sw wind hitting Dublin/wicklow mountains can increase convection at a great rate from 150meters per minute to 300m per minute when wind hits a mountain and is forced to rise quicker,this can lead to explosive CBs with anvils topping at 30,000meters in very little time,well do the math,thats a 1.5hr in theory for large development of CBs near anvil.Ok we need all the ingredients of course,but for you and i living on the coast, east side of mountainous areas we could be in for a treat.:D
    Again time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Are we still on for thunderstorms today? lotsa heavy rain on the radar off the west coast

The thunderstorm risk is notably downgraded today.

The lifted index for tuesday was supposed to be -3c when this thread started but look at it now...

showery but not much in the way of thunder.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1211.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Martin King was showing thunderstorms for today, or as he put it 'the fire works display' through the midlands and up to the north....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

None here in Navan, though it looked like there was going to be some earlier. I wonder will there be any during the night?

• Advertisement

None here in Navan, though it looked like there was going to be some earlier. I wonder will there be any during the night?

Should be a heavy shower hitting navan now or pretty soon though,

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/radar/

I'd rate the chance of that at close to zero, main activity near us is in NI and there its just mainly heavy rain showers.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Spectacular looking CBs with anvils in the sunset in a clear blue sky,over west Dublin looking here from the coast(if you can follow all that lol)

quiet a sight at 20.54
    im right at the southern edge as this trough line is stretching south to NI.

Spectacular looking CBs with anvils in the sunset in a clear blue sky,over west Dublin looking here from the coast(if you can follow all that lol)

quiet a sight at 20.54
    im right at the southern edge as this trough line is stretching from south to NI.

Snowbie wrote:

quiet a sight at 20.54
    im right at the southern edge as this trough line is stretching from south to NI.

Hey there, did you figure out how to do screen caps of your lightening software ? , would love to see this if we get a decent event this summer.

Longfield wrote:
    Hey there, did you figure out how to do screen caps of your lightening software ? , would love to see this if we get a decent event this summer.

No,try to do it but because it is a software program using a custom vector map it wont let me take a snapshot of the screen,i have to upload to a server where all the data from anyone using the same program to capture a snap and only then will i see it running in real time, can you explain again how i go about get a print screen and i will try it again as if this were to happen you will all get to see a picture of what i saw last thursday and friday,very interesting alright.
    a statistic from friday was 3548 strikes of lightning was captured from 12.05 to 21.15 that evening and that was just from ireland alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

There was a mini-tornado in Buncrana, Co. Donegal yesterday.

RTE clickable.

Crazy.

Advertisement