Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specter 1/8th Buggy (from Carson via Green Hobby)

Options
  • 14-05-2006 6:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Continuing from the old thread .......
    vectra wrote:
    Whats the Betting that I am on the right track with this one.. :DCLICK HERE To see a Bazooka jump a house and drive away :eek:
    It looks similar Vectra. Cool video BTW.
    This IS a brand new model however. We have waited for it on a waiting list since February 2006.
    The body is a similar shape but different colour, and engine size similar.
    So the vid clip one may be the same but being sold under a different name for US market ....that is very common in RC. I doubt it given the time difference.

I just made some tel calls during the last 30 minutes, and drove to the shop (I went to work on a Sunday :eek: ) and bought one for myself!
    All done in 22 minutes - decision, go-get, come back, open, admire! :D:D:D
    The staff price helps me somewhat, but not like you'd think because all the first shipment are at staff price no matter who buys them. (That is occasionally policy with new models at Green Hobby .)

Camera batteries almost ready on the charger....
    Pics of nice shiny new model coming very soon ......

No BFAsassin - nothing to do with the place you mentioned. They're much too far away for me to ever get there in a half hour ! I buy locally ever since I finished my mail order learning phase (we all have one) many years ago!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

OK here we go.... :)
    First : under the bonnet .....

The view uinderneath...
    asr.jpg

Spoiler wing, r-clips, and rear damper stay
    bsr.jpg

Rear exhaust
    csr.jpg

Throttle & brake connectors
    dsr.jpg

Wheel, tyre, shock damper
    esr.jpg

Air filter, manifold spring round engine, throttle connections
    fsr.jpg

Rear shock left & damper stay
    gsr.jpg

Clutch bell & spur gear assembly...
    hsr.jpg

Recoil start & rear exhaust manifold
    isr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Are Greenhobbies carrying spares for those?
    That's a fine lump of an air filter hanging on there :D

I wonder if you could measure the hole in the kneck of it?
    I wouldnt mind trying a couple of those on my Revo and on my sons Maxx.
    Also
    Can you take a shot of the Wing holder assembly and give me an idea of the distance between the mounting legs etc.?
    I am gonna put a rear wing on my Revo and need to get a Mount for it. ;)

cheers

vectra wrote:
    Are Greenhobbies carrying spares for those?
    That's a fine lump of an air filter hanging on there :D ...cheers
    Yeah - The air filter is the biggest I've seen on a car this size :)

I will check the measurements later and get back to you.

Spares - Does the fact I spent my own money on it drop a heavy hint there?
    The spares are in the next shipment, and the price of the spares is good.
    There are some upgrades to hop it up also.....

Meanwhile more pics...
    The bodywork is cute...
    carson-specter-1.jpg

carson-specter-2.jpg

carson-specter-3.jpg

Looking good ;)

That wing looks the biz.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

it looks good but it has very low ground clearance

BFassassin wrote:

Buggies tend to be that way.:D

BFassassin wrote:
    That grass is kinda long, but the car wouldn't notice it at 30 mph cos it would be airborne a lot of the time
    :-)
    The buggies are lower and faster, and the trucks are the other way round.
    It is to do with the centre of gravity. That's why a buggy can turn so tightly.

i dont think its the right car for me then it looks good though so enjoy it.
    its going to be the revo for me:D

Like Plug said in another thread: Buy & use what you yourself like. That way you'll be happy.

I tend to look at performance - price ratio. (my personal way of considering value). So a €50 model airplane that's ballistic rates very high on my value scale if you know what I mean.
    I chose a buggy over a truck because trucks seem to cost more than buggies, even though they drive over similar type of terrain.

Technically the truck is superior at slower going over more broken terrain, and the buggy is superior at faster going over more ordinary offroad terrain, like BMX tracks.

The speed of the Specter buggy counts quite high for me. (Tho I like the look of the nice truck bodies also) I willl be trying with the Specter Buggy for maximum speed on a BMX track nearby, and I also have a few other similar type of locations to run it on.

• Advertisement

What nitro do you plan on using in the buggy ?

Hmm.
    Just noticed that it comes with 40Mhz radio gear..:)

Nice touch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

coolwings wrote:
    Like Plug said in another thread: Buy & use what you yourself like. That way you'll be happy.

I tend to look at performance - price ratio. (my personal way of considering value). So a €50 model airplane that's ballsitic rates very high on my value scale if you know what I mean. I chose a buggy because trucks seem to cost more than buggies, even though they drive over similar type of terrain.

Technically the truck is superior at slower going over more broken terrain, and the buggy is superior at faster going over more ordinary offroad terrain, like BMX tracks.

The speed of the Specter buggy counts quite high for me. (Tho I like the look of the nice truck bodies also) I willl be trying with the Specter Buggy for maximum speed on a BMX track nearby, and I also have a few other similar type of locations to run it on.
    Dude you have to give me a shout when you're giving her a run, I'll bring my hyper along :)
    She's looking nice, love those tyres, and I'm gathering she's a single speed buggy, my HPI 21 motor has the same air filter or a pretty similar one. What make is the motor ? and what type of brakes does she have ?

I've got a half gallon castor mix 5% (Expert Mix GX-5) for running-in.
    About 12-15 tanks I guess.
    Then switch to synthetic 15% with 3% castor, and 5% nitro (GoGlo Plus-5)
    Then over the next months adjust the nitro % (or leave it alone) as the engine's compression and running tells me to do.

tallus wrote:
    ....She's looking nice, love those tyres, and I'm gathering she's a single speed buggy, my HPI 21 motor has the same air filter or a pretty similar one. What make is the motor ? and what type of brakes does she have ?
    It's a Force 3.5, rear exhaust quickie.
    The Stormrace you have (had?) used a Force also but a 2.5 side exhaust I think....
    Yes - I like the air filter - this is gonna need lots of air to burn the juice at the rate I want. ;)

The brakes are dual . 2 x steel disk with calipers each side all four calipers have a fibre brake pad.
    tallus wrote:
    Dude you have to give me a shout when you're giving her a run, I'll bring my hyper along :)
    Are you thinking of Marley?
    I know a similar spot in Rathgar too.
    Drop me a PM to let me know when you're free.

I'll drive anywhere that suits you man. Available any day but thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

I guess this gives me a reason to drop some money into my stormracer to run her perfect again.... as a few of us from here could have track days at marly or this rathgar place you speak of:rolleyes:
    NIce buggy, would love one over mine:(
    just a quick question: how much do high torque servos cost? and can the 4 AA batts in my buggy run nimhs instead? sorry for taking over your thread but im curious:D
    nice buggy, its not all planes in this world XD

tallus wrote:
    I'll drive anywhere that suits you man. Available any day but thursday.
    You're on. I'll call you when I see a "window of opportunity" approaching.
    Flunked wrote:
    I guess this gives me a reason to drop some money into my stormracer to run her perfect again.... as a few of us from here could have track days at marly or this rathgar place you speak of:rolleyes:
    NIce buggy, would love one over mine:(
    just a quick question: how much do high torque servos cost? and can the 4 AA batts in my buggy run nimhs instead?
    Hmmm - the high torques come from €38 up to €120. The stuff that's €120 is not any better- it's just the €60 ones sold under a different label with a higher price. For me, I use stuff at about the €40 level of quality and they haven't let me down yet.
    The AA nimhs can do the rx job, but they have to be good nimhs or your servos might be starved of electrons just when you need 'em most! I have the 2100s, the 2500s and these work well - as good as nicads but for longer.
    Flunked wrote:
    nice buggy, its not all planes in this world XD
    How about buggies AND planes? :p
    "Rhapsody in Blue....."

attach the plane to the buggy for take off on flat ground :D LOL

Flunked wrote:
    .... as a few of us from here could have track days at marly or this rathgar place ...
    Okee Dokee - PM me and Tallus your mobile nr, we can do likewise, and we can set it up. :)

coolwings wrote:
    "Rhapsody in Blue....."

:D

• Advertisement

So what price are these things retailing at RTR ?

Tallus. Give Patrick a call at 01 4928776. The current stock are at less than the full RRP.

I gave it a first start last night.
    That Force 3.5cc engine's got wicked high compression :D This one isn't intended for beginners! It's really hot. So hot I managed to pop a glowplug in 2 minutes on 5%. Serves me right - I had the glowplug slightly loose to ease matters and all was fine, but I "just had" to tighten it up so I could hear the pipe sound :p
    BTW It sounds brilliant! But that was the end of the glowplug. :D
    New plug already fitted and ready to go.
    I will run 3-4 tanks of juice through the engine tomorrow to loosen it up and get the minimum idle speed down a bit.

coolwings wrote:
    I managed to pop a glowplug in 2 minutes on 5%.

:rolleyes:
    Tum tee Tum

The King of nitro blows a plug..:eek:
    Tut Tut :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

a glo-plug bummered is a lesson learned ;)
    good to see its running tho

coolwings wrote:
    Tallus. Give Patrick a call at 01 4928776. The current stock are at less than the full RRP.
    thanks, will do mate :)

Sunday afternoon:
    I got the radio charged up last night and set about running-in the Specter properly.

4 more tanks of castor based 5% (GX-5) in succession.
    Method: 10 minutes idling rich (to cool/lubricate) on a cardboard lined brick with wheels not rotating.
    Then 2 minute sessions going at 1/2 throttle through 6-9" grass to heat it up and soften the metal slightly, allowing more bedding-in.
    Then back onto the brick in neutral to cool down again.

Any cut outs during "hot" stages (there were two) were followed by an emergency prime and turn engine over drawing the primed fuel in to cool-lube instantly, thus not allowing a "collar" of burnt oil to form on the liner round the edge of the piston "crown", because this would prolong the running-in by tightening the engine slightly.

All oil discharge from the pipe was collected by a residue box (just a cornflakes packet cut up) and the pics I took show how all the oil is unscorched, and a nice yellow-caramel colour, indicating that though I'm heating it up quite a bit, the oil is never reaching the 500-600 degree "burn" level - even on those tiny tight spots inside the engine.

This can be verified because if there is a tight point inside, it gets hotter than the rest, and black particulates of burnt oil woul change the discharge colour to a greenish hue. Something that doesn't happen with synthetic (which is less suitable for running in).

The 3.5 engine is still tight due to its high compression, and a bit more tight due to being new, but the rich setting covers that fine.

The main needle has been leaned out 1/2 turn and temps are already far lower than at the first startup . The idle jet is quite rich, but I was able to lean it out maybe 1/4 turn.

Just to give an idea how rich I had it at 1st-2nd start, the main jet ended up at 5 turns open, and the idle at 1/2 turn open more than maker setting.

So I am already most of the way to getting it leaned to power settings.

It's burbling away happily right now on tank 6 at the new leaned setting.

Excellent dude :) So when are we going to the bmx track again ? :D
    My menace is ready for a bash !

Are you running this in on a "block" ?:confused:

• Advertisement

Running In Specter Buggy - The setup .... :)

Engine idling to cool between short workouts...
    carson-specter-5.jpg

Detail of oil residue collector box - note the colour of discharge from tuned pipe is a light caramel indicating temps are correct
    carson-specter-6.jpg

Glowstart setup that doesn't run down during a long session.
    carson-specter-7.jpg

Advertisement