Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specter 1/8th Buggy (from Carson via Green Hobby)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

vectra wrote:
    Are you running this in on a "block" ?:confused:
    Nope - the running-in is taking place during the short workout sessions, while it's hotter and the metal softer.

The in-between sessions (with the block) are for cooling down with engine running.

The block is only to spare me bending down a lot. :p

I am well aware of what happens high-temp-wise to a "leaned out" engine when it revs up on a dry tank on no working load, but it is no concern, since for this job I re-fill the tank before it gets to empty. :D

For anyone reading this (who does not fully understand the issues involved) ....
    While running-in my car is on zero nitro (straight) or max 5% nitro fuel, and the fuel has castor oil.
    While "on the block" my car is NEVER over 1/4 throttle.
    While "on the block" my car is NEVER allowed to run out of it's fuel supply.
    While "on the block or ESPECIALLY WHILE running-in" if my car cuts out unexpectedly , I INSTANTLY PRIME, and draw the cool fuel inside by pulling the recoil starter. Instantly - not 30 seconds later.
    In otherwords it is not left unattended - the sure recipe for a seized motor or a broken conrod.

FYI Vectra's concern is due to the problem many RC beginners have - they put a new car on a block and try to run it in. Usually not rich enough for the nitro they've got. Their engine gets too hot. Then it gets tight (hot partial seize) and cuts out. Then once it's stopped it has no cooling or lubrication, the oil left inside burns solid, and it seizes.
    When Mr Beginner-With-A-Block-And 16%- fuel returns a half hour later, he has a one piece engine with no moving parts.
    New piston and liner, maybe conrod too - and all on the first tank of fuel.
    AND ALSO - he doesn't see that anything he did has anything to do with the problem.
    His "faulty car" should be replaced for free - he thinks!

If you aren't clear on running-in new models, the last few posts have a lot of experience in them.

tallus wrote:
    Excellent dude :) So when are we going to the bmx track again ? :D
    My menace is ready for a bash !
    Some time next week?
    A little earlier possibly than last time. ;)
    By the way, I had tiny chippings of that black gravel in the cylinder head, round my glowplug when I came home from there.
    If a glowplug needs changing there, special care will be required in that place.
    it would be sooo easy to let a bit of hard stuff into the cylinder changing a plug. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

coolwings wrote:
    Some time next week?
    A little earlier possibly than last time. ;)
    By the way, I had tiny chippings of that black gravel in the cylinder head, round my glowplug when I came home from there.
    If a glowplug needs changing there, special care will be required in that place.
    it would be sooo easy to let a bit of hard stuff into the cylinder changing a plug. :eek:
    Jaysus :/
    Ok dude just let me know in advance if it's happening, tuesday is bad for me, but most other days are fine. That's scary sh1t on the plug :/

I give you a call the day before .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Yeah I read on another forum, a can of compressed air is good to have with you at the track so u can blow all the stuff away then changing glow plug
    After my holidays I will try fix the buggy up, I will go in and see if one of the guys in green hobby will go threw it with me ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Look forward to seeing a short vid or two..
    Next weekend is Bank Holiday weekend..aint it?

I like that starter system you have..
    10 cells??
    what is that little black gadget? is that some sort of voltage regulator?
    I could do with one of those on to a 12v motorcycle battery for the revo and Maxx.. :D

Vid coming.....

Yep - it's a ten cell back from an old plane. Basically 12V but portable.
    The little thing is called a Pulse Plug Driver - essentially a micro power panel, it changes 12V down to 1.2 - 2V, adjustable.

Great for starting engines. It can also be used to recharge one of the nicad in the handle glowstarts from a 12V battery.

PS Hope you don't mind me editing post no 32 above to clarify for newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Vectra did you have to buy a voltage converter for the revo charger? Or will it work from normal 220volt socket without blowing up:confused:

Plug wrote:
    Vectra did you have to buy a voltage converter for the revo charger? Or will it work from normal 220volt socket without blowing up:confused:

I reckon you are fine as you got it from the UK and they use 220 volts as well as us.
    However, If you had went ahead and got it from the US of A it would most likely be 110 volts.

You did buy it grom the UK didnt you?? :confused:

If so then I reckon you are fine.

The one I got was faulty but it didnt matter to me as I just run it off my 12V. Power supply that I use for running my Racing charger :D

coolwings wrote:
    Vid coming.....

Yep - it's a ten cell back from an old plane. Basically 12V but portable.
    The little thing is called a Pulse Plug Driver - essentially a micro power panel, it changes 12V down to 1.2 - 2V, adjustable.

Great for starting engines. It can also be used to recharge one of the nicad in the handle glowstarts from a 12V battery.

PS Hope you don't mind me editing post no 32 above to clarify for newbies.

Must watch out for one of those..
    Would it drop 12v down to 7.2 to run the ezstart from it? :rolleyes:

And yes.. I think it was a good idea to edit Post no. 32.. ;)
    I would hate for someone to think they could just fire their new rc toy on a block and let it rip to run it in :(

• Advertisement

Ever use the pull start on the traxxas engine's? I have 2 and never used them, I'll will be using them soon when this bad weather stop's.
    Sunny south east my arse.

Plug wrote:
    LOL ! :D

Plug wrote:
    Ever use the pull start on the traxxas engine's? I have 2 and never used them, I'll will be using them soon when this bad weather stop's.

2 Pull starts..!
    One for each hand :D

I much prefer Pullstarts over electronic starting. The one model I do have that isn't pull start enabled needs a drill to start it and it's a pain lugging teh drill around. I know Traxxas models are different because the starter is built in but I do prefer pullstarting I like the feel of the engine and it's much easier to feel if the engine is dry/flooded with a pullstart. Ack I'm starting to ramble here !

The way I read that, it sound's funny Vectra:D

tallus wrote:
    ....I do prefer pullstarting I like the feel of the engine and it's much easier to feel if the engine is dry/flooded with a pullstart. ....
    I agree - while competition track racers will (rightly in their case) disagree and use a starter box - I "use" the feel of the engine, far more than onlookers are aware of, when starting an engine.

coolwings wrote:
    I agree - while competition track racers will (rightly in their case) disagree and use a starter box - I "use" the feel of the engine, far more than onlookers are aware of, when starting an engine.
    Me too :)

Ez start is brilliant for beginner's and lazy people(no more blister's), pull start is good cause you don't have to charge battery's and know the feel of the engine. Bump start is good for racing, it's keep's the weight and the drag the bearing's cause down. Best starting system I saw was from the MGT which had duel starting with a pull and ez start.

Have you broken in that engine yet coolwings ? Hows the car shaping up ?

Well on the way - about 1/2 to 3/4 run-in already.
    But you know the way I am - most everyone else would say it's fully run in. :D I feel however that a bit more running and it should loosen up still more and run slightly cooler than at present.

I reckon I'm already getting maybe 7/8th performance for short runs, and 3/4 performance continuous at this stage, and I think I should be able to lean it out a tad more after another days use, and not have any overheating.

I'm still using 5% GX-5 castor mix to cater for possible hotspots inside (piston crown, piston pin, conrod boss) until it has loosened up properly. But there is no black or green colour in the oil residue discharge so it's well below 500 degrees throughout the components.

Next fuel container will be a move over to 5% synthetic Go Glo +

Whether 10% nitro will ever be required is difficult to evaluate at the moment. It's wicked powerful right now on 5% ! The makers , Carson recommend 10%, so I will try it to see. Maybe after a gallon of 5% has gone through the engine.

• Advertisement

Grand so I hope it goes well for you and look forward to seeing it in action :)

Another pic ...
    I like the "Specter" detailing on the body shell :
    carson-specter-detail.jpg

Tallus - If you see this - Are you ok for a bash tomorrow?

coolwings wrote:
    Another pic ...
    I like the "Specter" detailing on the body shell :
    carson-specter-detail.jpg

Tallus - If you see this - Are you ok for a bash tomorrow?
    Ready willing and able man ! what time you thinking of ? Once it's not too early I'm grand. Got a F.A.S. thing in the morning, after that I'm free for the rest of the day.

I'll call your mobile - ok?

Have the vid-cam ready ! :-)

Will do mate ! :) Excellent !

I heard today that Carson team driver Stefan Scheuenpflug has become EUROPEAN JUNIOR CHAMPION B in Bruzolo/ Italy with the Specter Race Edition.

I contacted Carson and they are sending me his race setup sheet.

Now all I need is 10% of his driving skill :-)

What country are carson based in? Some part of Europe:confused:

Carson is the glowfuel racing part of Tamiya. They are extremely big in Europe - yes.
    Tamiya, the parent company, is a Japanese - German Corporation. It has headquarters in both continents.
    Called Tamiya , Carson, Simba, Dickie and half a dozen other brand names so they are possibly the biggest model manufacturer in the world.
    Carson is the brand on the nitro fuel cars.
    Tamiya would be the name on the electric power RC cars from the same factories.
    The Tamiya plastic scale kits are very well known too.
    They do Dragon kits, Home Run, Xmods & Scalextric in Europe too.

A bit like hotbodies is to HPI then.

• Advertisement

Please post it here when you get it coolwings :)
    Took the menace out for a bash earlier and broke a bleddy ball socket yokie on the front suspension, the ground is rock hard because of the lack of rain the last week or so. Now she's out of action until I get a replacement heh.

Advertisement