Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricky Question

Options
  • 14-05-2006 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop with intel pro w/l 220bg card.....when I leave it and head off for a while and come back to it the net connection is dead...now heres the tricky part....it will not let me connect untill I restart windows.....I have tried everything but I constantly need to restart the laptop in order to bring the connection back up

Disabling and enabling does not work
    ipconfig /renew does not work
    When I http to the router and restart connection and restart router does not work
    logging off and logging on does not work

I am not using microsoft client for the card so wireless zero service is not at fault (I have also tried letting xp handle this but the same problem occurs)

All drivers etc are up to date...

This is really bugging me....anyone have any experience on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is something I've experienced with a few Inspirons. The network cards are usually set to go to sleep to conserve power. When the laptop is idle, the card will be automatically disabled. Waking the machine up though tends not to wake up the network card. Most of the time, disabling and re-enabling the card in question fixes it, but sometimes I've had to reboot, like you've experienced. Telling the card to not sleep doesn't seem to have any effect.

I'd be interested if anyone can fix this too. Did you ring Dell by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

For a short while this was a problem with atheros cards with open source drivers,the cure till it got sorted in software was to cover pin 13 with tape or whatever ( search more before you do it though )
    ( its mentioned here : http://www.irishwan.org/board/archive/index.php/t-2144.html )

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Il give dell a buzz tomo...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Gator,

You're not using ZoneAlarm are you?

Zab.

Yea I am actually....6.1....

• Advertisement

Okay, go to Firewall/Zones and add in the IP address of your DNS server (probably your router) as a Trusted Zone.

I have scratched my head on this one and being able to http to the router I believe there must be something wrong with the firmware of the router.....I will ring €ircon tomo and see if there has been any history with this situation....its not really annoying me but my curiousty has got the better of me...il keep you all posted

Did you do what I suggested? Have you tried pinging an IP address during an outage (boards is good at 82.195.136.250)?

Zab.

Advertisement