Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with ubuntu, noobie question

• 14-05-2006 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

hey guys, i have a server that i installed ubuntu on. the server doesnt cater for a CD rom/dvd drive, so i opened up the machine put one in and installed ubuntu on it - grand.

When i took the CD drive out, ubuntu wont load. I checked the bios and everything looked correct in there... When i hooked up the CD drive again it worked fine!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Probably because its set to auto mount the drive and hits a stumbling block when it doesn't find the hardware. If you remove the drives details from /etc/fstab it might help. Or if you want to keep the configuration, change the auto switch to noauto.

Other than that, are you sure you didn't just run the LiveCD? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

red_ice wrote:
    ubuntu wont load

When you say it "wont load", what's happening? Are there any error messages? Does it freeze half-way through booting, and if so what's the last thing that's displayed before it does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

When i installed ubuntu i had a DVD Rom, which i took out because it wont fit in the case - so i removed it and rmdir cdrom/cdrom0 and it seems to be working fine now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

red_ice wrote:
    When i installed ubuntu i had a DVD Rom, which i took out because it wont fit in the case - so i removed it and rmdir cdrom/cdrom0 and it seems to be working fine now :D
    :eek: I've never even attempted to do that. You'll have fun if you want to put it back in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

heh, well, tbh, im using windows based machines for quite some time now, and i only started learning about them when i broke them trying to fix them.. im hoping i can learn the same way - sure a format and a reinstall isnt too bad is it?

besides, cdrom is back, but this time she boots grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Well as long as it works, you should be grand.

You will find though that one of the best parts of Linux is the ability to break it, and (unlike windows) you can go back in and fix it without having to do a reinstall. I've 'experimented' a fair bit doing this and managed to break the X window system a fair few times, and been able to fix it up perfectly without any major hassle.

Advertisement