Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August Repeats

Options
  • 14-05-2006 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

As a first year if I fail an exam I must repeat in August. I would like to know:
    1)Is the standard the same?
    2)When will I know the times of my exams? (presuming I fail}
    3)How much will it cost?

I couldn't see anything on the ucd website so I'm asking here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As a first year if I fail an exam I must repeat in August. I would like to know:
    3)How much will it cost?

As someone who repeated last year...
    1) I found the standard easier, but it might have been just this subject.. With very little work, i managed to double my grade. This was for Accounting.

2) You find out the results around the end of June. The timetable should come out mid July. If you've failed, make sure to keep August free anyway, it'll be sometime then.

3) Last year I think it was e196 to repeat. This was a flat fee to repeat, whether you repeated 1 or all, it was the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

3)How much will it cost?

Bold. You should've been studying. This isn't like last year... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Pythia wrote:
    As someone who repeated last year.
    I thought this year was the first for August repeats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

No there's always been August repeats. This is the first time that there will be people repeating Christmas exams in August (1st years)

But what about first years who fail one subject out of both semesters? Is there some rule that once your GPA is above a certain point you don't have to repeat providing you only failed one?

We're allowed 3 E's so long as GPA is over 2.25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Janacopolis

Pythia wrote:
    3) Last year I think it was e196 to repeat. This was a flat fee to repeat, whether you repeated 1 or all, it was the same amount.

Hi are you/everyone COMPLETELY sure about this, that its a flat fee and not the fee per exam?? In the middle of 12 exams at the moment in 2nd science, 3 subjects, 4 modules in each. If the 4 of those modules don't balance out to a pass for the subject, I have to repeat all 4, even if I've only failed 1 or 2!! You can imagine how high the costs could go for me if it was per exam!!!

Let me know!

That's how it was last year.

I think this is the bit on ucd.ie that deals with repeats
    RE-ENTRY FOR EXAMINATIONS 2004/2005

Students who entered in, or after, Session 2001/2002 are required to register as repeat students.

A registered student re-entering for an examination, who is not registered for that course, must complete an examination re-entry form and pay a re-entry fee of EUR 193*. Students who defer their entire examination ( all subjects) from one examination period to a supplemental examination period within the same academic year are liable for a Transfer Fee of EUR 63 (non-returnable).

RE-ENTRY FEE: EUR 193*

*subject to your registration status

Closing dates for re-entry forms are as follows:

3 weeks after individual results have been posted on the SIS student web.

A late entry fine of EUR 63 will be applied should a student fail to re-enter as directed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Can you confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

This is only if your subjects allow compensation afaik!

They don't all allow it!? :eek:

Oh holy ****. How do you check!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

3 E's sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Sadly I messed up one of my exams so badly I'm not even sure of the E :( ( I did get straight B's at Xmas so I'm not a complete dumbass, just got screwed with a substitute paper!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hi are you/everyone COMPLETELY sure about this, that its a flat fee and not the fee per exam?? In the middle of 12 exams at the moment in 2nd science, 3 subjects, 4 modules in each. If the 4 of those modules don't balance out to a pass for the subject, I have to repeat all 4, even if I've only failed 1 or 2!! You can imagine how high the costs could go for me if it was per exam!!!
    Let me know!
    Well when I repeated 2nd Science exams (the full set :( ) 2 years ago, it was a flat fee of €180 then (obviously UCD *has* to tack on the yearly increases...). I repeated all 10 exams then.
    Note to self: Failing Maths, Maths Physics and Stats was NOT a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

Im in 1st year arts. i passed most of the sem 1 exams but failed cos i didnt hand in any projects.

do any of you know will i just have to hand in the projects 4da repeats or do the exam again aswell?

cheers 4 ur help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i would ring each department and check witht them as they will all have different policies on the necessity of continueuous assessment and whether or not its cumpulsory

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It depends on whether the project work is a part of a subject or whether it's a subject on its own.

Have you been given an inadequete result (i.e. one that says that whilst you passed the exam, the examiners are withholding your mark until you satisfy them)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

the project work is worth roughly 30% of some of the subjects.

i passed the exams but didnt get da credits cos i handed in no projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Its possible who could give in project work during the summer like for Sociology you can.But man you have to go to the Schools in which your subjects are in there's no point asking us.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It depends on what courses you do. I think continuous assessment is discounted for repeats in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Risky thread title with the Spell Czech now at the helm.

Back on topic: You should probably follow tintin's advice and
    tintinr35 wrote:
    ring each department and check witht them as they will all have different policies on the necessity of continueuous assessment and whether or not its cumpulsory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well just to say that for most coursess (obviously I managed to be in the minority cause it's health sci) a GPA (1st years, that means u) of 2.0 is a pass, and it can be as low as 1.8 to pass by compensation, and you can fail up to 3 subjects each semester.

In health sci I think it's 2.4 to pass, with variations due to electives etc.

Oh and sometimes (I've one of them anyway), there might be a module (or even an exam within a module) you HAVE to pass, but I'm sure if that's the case for anyone I'm sure they know about it already.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Problem solved. Threads merged. Sorry if it looks a bit consfusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The following info refers to level 2 commerce and Im 100% sure of it. Chances are its very close to what happens in other modularised course but check with your school or admin.

repeats are held in the next exam period. There are two exam periods, winter (xmas) and summer (these ones). There are no august repeats for 2nd commerce.*

A flat fee of €193 applied ie no matter how many exams you fail or defer it will cost you 193.

There is no limit or upper cap on what you can score. You can repeat an exam you failed and get a first, unfair but meh.*

Your result depends 100% on this exam, all continuous assesment becomes null and void.

*These 2 points are different for first commerce so prob different for other horizons students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Are the repeats on in early or late august, cos i'll be away fot the first week in august

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

In my experience they normally start sometime during the second week so you sould be ok but that's not a guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

My friend would like to know:

Does anyone know if its possible to just repeat the year if you fail the summer exams? IE skip the autumn repeats and just go straight to repeating next september? I have other plans for the summer I'd prefer not to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Does anyone know if its possible to just repeat the year if you fail the summer exams? IE skip the autumn repeats and just go straight to repeating next september? I have other plans for the summer I'd prefer not to change.
    Surely you'd just fail/not sit the repeats, then you fail the year, and then you either repeat the year or you drop out? I dunno, I'm fully modular already, don't have any Autumn resits outside of German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you fail the repeats, then you repeat the year. Who the hell is willing to pay a few thousand euro and take up another year of their life just so as not to change their holidays? Or would they be paying it? :rolleyes:

OT: It's annoying me to no end, not knowing the dates for the repeats!!! I've got holiday stuff to sort out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

If you fail the repeats/not turn up then you fail the year.
    Then you pay the guts of around €3,000 to repeat the year.
    Your summer would want to be seriously worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

If you're in first year, and you've only failed 1 or 2 exams in the repeats, you can carry the module(s) and do them again in 2nd year.

• Advertisement

If you fail the repeats/not turn up then you fail the year.
    Then you pay the guts of around €3,000 to repeat the year.
    Your summer would want to be seriously worth it.

That's not true for all courses peachy.
    Certainly isn't in Economics and Finance. We get 4 goes to pass something.

Advertisement