Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August Repeats

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Pythia wrote:
    That's not true for all courses peachy.
    Certainly isn't in Economics and Finance. We get 4 goes to pass something.
    sure thats not a degree at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

tintinr35 wrote:
    sure thats not a degree at all ;)
    Well it's a testament to a persons persistence!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

As a first year if I fail an exam I must repeat in August. I would like to know:
    1)Is the standard the same?
    2)When will I know the times of my exams? (presuming I fail}
    3)How much will it cost?

I couldn't see anything on the ucd website so I'm asking here.

1) Depends. From experience with Sociology last year the bar was raised dramatically. I've heard from other people that the subjects from the bigger departments tend to go tougher in the repeats but it isn't always the case. There is a theory that especailly in first year that subjects with such high numbers need to cut their numbers for the following year. It's only a theory but I reckon it is true.

2) Going by the results dates here which are due out on average 2 weeks later than last year I'd guess it will be late July.

3) Don't know but I'd hope repeat exam fees will done on a proportion of how many exams you take in August. It would be highly unfair for someone to pay E193 to repeat one exam yet someone else pays the exact same amount for repeating 10 exams..... I hope they change this.

Pythia wrote:
    If you fail the repeats/not turn up then you fail the year.
    Then you pay the guts of around €3,000 to repeat the year.
    Your summer would want to be seriously worth it.

On this page repeat fees vary due to a) how many credits you must repeat and b) which course you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Pythia wrote:

1) That's an absolute disgrace

2) Surely you'd still have to sit and fail the repeat in order to get another chance?! I'd imagine (and hope) that it's not just a case of refusing to sit the repeats and waiting for the next round....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

1) That's an absolute disgrace

2) Surely you'd still have to sit and fail the repeat in order to get another chance?! I'd imagine (and hope) that it's not just a case of refusing to sit the repeats and waiting for the next round....

Think it's the same for all the Quinn School but I could be wrong.

I know some people in my class failed a summer exam and rather than sit the repeat, they joined the class again next year and paid the proportion of fees for that one class, but were allowed into 2nd year too.

So yeah, you can defer your repeat. You also pay a deferral fee.

My friend in B&L failed an exam in summer, failed the repeat, then passed the exam the next summer. He wasn't penalised except that he had to pay a few hundred to be a student in the class again.

Both situations are allowed.

The 'Marks and Standards' for my degree say
    A student cannot attempt any Level 3 examination, while the student has one or more Level 1 examinations outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah it would be great if there was a dedicated information website for students rather than just putting in a search word in UCD.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Yeah, in Quinn in most programmes now you can carry over one subject to the next year but you'll have to clear it off then. Although I was never entirely sure whether that really translated to being allowed to fail a subject twice and then carry it over afterwards, I was wary of a caveat where you'd only get it carry it to sit on the second attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

my mate it 3rd commerce failed an exam at christmas and got to repeat it there on saturday, he is capped at a pass tho!!

Advertisement