Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alopecia in a pre-pubescent child

Options
  • 14-05-2006 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Has anybody had to deal with this? My eight year old son started losing his hair last week... it started off as a euro sized bald patch and since then it has grown to a strip, 1"-2" wide, from near the front of his hairline to the crown of his head. It isn't so noticeable yet because for his First Communion next weekend I was growing his hair out of the usual shave that he has so his hair is curly and fairly thick. The doctor diagnosed Alopecia Areata and said there is no cure, no treatment but that it should grow back in a month or two. However, I've googled it and I know you read all the worst stuff when you do that but the outlook seems to be particularly poor for a boy his age.

Anyone one got any ideas as to how to help him cope with the inevitable slagging he will get at school? He knows that he has lost a bit but he doesn't really know how much (typical boy). After the doctor on Friday I told him he might lose a bit more.... I was trying to be optimistic but I didn't think it would fall out at this rate. I'm going to have to tell him that there is a good chance he could lose all of it but do I face him with the truth or try and cushion it a bit. Maybe he won't care, he loves his hair razor short.

Help!:( :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Hi there. I am very sorry that this has happened your son. There is an article in the Sunday Times magazine [14th May] about a man who had Alopecia when he was a young boy. He had an operation in his 30s/40s and is now called the Hairy Biker. I cannot find this on the net but would gladly post the article to you.

I am sorry I have no knowledge of this in a childs life but my husband gets a number 1 every week. Fashions do change and shaved hair is now alot more popular than 10 years ago. Imho I would tell me that there is a chance he will lose his hair. That way he can get used to the idea and it will not come as a shock if clumps do fall out. Hope this helps and enjoy his communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks for that. My sister told me about that article but it was before she knew about his alopecia so didn't know to keep it for me. I'm sure I could chase it down through the paper but I don't think I put him through an op for that, not at this stage anyhow.:)

The communion went off well and his bald bit was still pretty easy to cover with the hair around it. Since then we discovered another bald patch just over his ear which seems to be joining up with the one on the top. This morning though his scalp is shining through which means by next week it will be really obvious.:(

I took him to a nutritionist in Dublin at the Holistic Healing Centre in Dame St. and he put him on a number of supplements (A, B, Calcium and Halibut Liver oil capsules). Even if they don't make a difference at least it will do him some other good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

I'm glad to hear that the communion went well and best of luck in the future.

Advertisement