Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's Metal Scene

• 14-05-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Over the last little while I've been reading over posts in this forum, and, from what people are at least seeming to hint at, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the whole atmosphere of the scene back in the 80s was better than that of nowadays.

Is this true or am I coming to hasty conclusions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

what scene?

i haven't invested in a "new band" in months. i'm sick of all this metalcore muck coming out these days.

as for gigs, ireland is a wasteland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah I like a few of today's bands. Mastodon, Lamb Of God, Chimaira to name a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I think the wave of brutal death metal bands that have come out recently is a positive thing for metal. Nile, necrophagist, hate eternal, cryptopsy etc. But yes 80s thrash metal was cool and the coolness is simply not being replicated these days. For instance, I find exodus' latest albums a bore to listen to

I don't understand this? Are you saying there are no good metal gigs around? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Depends on your tastes I guess. Necrophagist, Obituary(soon to be twice), Cryptopsy (ditto), Aborted, Grave, Decapitated, Blind Guardian, Carpathian Forest, Opeth, Suffocation, Vader, Bolt Thrower all have come or are coming in the next few months.
    Not to ignore local talent, with bands like Abaddon Incarnate and Wreck of the Hesperus impressing me as much as any foreign band have in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

JoeyD wrote:
    I think the wave of brutal death metal bands that have come out recently is a positive thing for metal.necrophagist
    Necrophagist released their first Demo in 1995, hardly new, probably been around for about 12 years or so.

As for new bands, theres so many ones coming out and all the cr*p ones seem to be getting the attention (I greatly dislike Lamb of God and Chimaira, stop starty tripe imo) , there is excellent music being released these days. Just got my hands of Emberlands self titled debut album, excellent brutal death metal album, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who likes bands like Mithras or Napalm Death. Capharnaum are another excellent band, they have a new album that came out out recently, 'Fractured' which is pretty damn good, damn impressive for a band who formed when the 2 main founding members were only aged 17 and 14. Harkonin are another excellent band, thrash/black metal, however their unsigned so their stuff isnt easy to get offline, you can get their CDs off their official website (http://www.harkonin.com/), cant recommend the 'Sermons of Anguish' album enough, brilliant stuff.

You just have to look pretty hard to find good music these days, but it is there, and a lot of it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hrm, I think most of what has been said above is whats wrong with the metal scene nowadays. In my opinion the problem lies with the fact that alot of people have too strict a definition of what metal is. Personally in the last few years I feel I've been spoiled with new and rising metal bands with the likes of God Forbid, Children Of Bodom, Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, Trivium, Dragonforce, Killswitch Engage, Unearth, As I Lay Dying, Bullet To My Valentine, 3 Inches Of Blood, Lacuna Coil, Sonata Arctica...and I could go on.

Now my problem lies with the fact that some people wouldn't consider some of the above bands metal. This, for the most part, is complete rubbish. Personally I don't like the vast majority of "proper" death and black metal. On the other hand I love the likes of Opeth and Wintersun and I was recently introduced to Eternal Tears Of Sorrow. Now does any of the above make me more or less metal? Hell no! Metal, as I'm sure you are all well aware, is very broad genre in itself and those who think there is nothing outside the world of death and black metal really shouldnt be so negative when commeting on the "metal" scene.

My two cents anyway. :)

nosmo wrote:
    Depends on your tastes I guess. Necrophagist, Obituary(soon to be twice), Cryptopsy (ditto), Aborted, Grave, Decapitated, Blind Guardian, Carpathian Forest, Opeth, Suffocation, Vader, Bolt Thrower all have come or are coming in the next few months.
    Not to ignore local talent, with bands like Abaddon Incarnate and Wreck of the Hesperus impressing me as much as any foreign band have in the last few years.

bar opeth i couldn't stand to go near the rest of the bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

bar opeth i couldn't stand to go near the rest of the bands.
    Well 'good' gigs are subjective I guess, but I think we've had a decent enough year. In June we have Guns n Roses, Metallica, Opeth and Down playing within a week of each other. Whether you like them all or not, that's not a bad line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

To be honest, I think Metal today is in a much healthier position than it was 10 years ago. The overwhelming majority of mid-late 90's metal sucked goat balls, it really did. Having com onboard in the 80's I sense a revival, an excitement in metal that hasn't been around for almost 15 years. There are some geniunely good bands out there and it feels like there is much more to come. The likes of Lamb Of God, Symbyosis and Mastodon especially have made an old bastard like me feel positively optimistic about the coming years. Plus, a lot of the older bands have gotten their **** together in a big way and the re-unions have been about 50% positive, 50% pointless. Yeah, there's still loads of not-so-good stuff too, but there has always been substandard music. The 90's felt like a dark and depressing tunnel into ****esville. These days, there is cause for optimism, which is cause to celebrate IMO :D

I don't think you can recapture the vibe of the 80's, Metal was breaking new ground all the time, new releases were something the likes of which you had never heard before. The same innovation isn't apparent but after years in a trough, the quality is beginning to come to the surface again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and i quote
    Live to die and die to play
    Every day and place
    Leave a path of metal
    Across the world from stage to stage.....

......In denim and leather
    We were all part of one force
    Knocked Rock and Roll on its ass
    And put metal on the course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Its not that the scene is unhealthy its that "the kids" will listen to whatever tripe they are fed by Kerrang and Metal Hammer. There are plenty of good bands out there that just don't get the exposure they desserve. Opeth are getting it at the moment and will reach a larger argument thanks to Roadrunner. I have my problems with RR records mainly because of the way they treat bands.
    There is too much for me that sounds like everything else. Too much of this A7X stuff. Mastodon are one of the few bands in the last while that have been worth listening to. The likes of Sepultura and Crowbar put out fantastic albums but don't get coverage to put it in peoples faces. In fairness to people like Jamey Jasta, he tries to get bands like this coverage. **** me this is a long post, to close if you're looking for some quality metal check out High on Fire or Pelican. I often just drop onto Relapse Records site to see what they have. Most bands on that label are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

dimerocks wrote:
    if you're looking for some quality metal check out High on Fire or Pelican.

I always thought Pelican was a very odd choice for a band name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

I suppose if we take to be true that the quality is beginning to resurface, the next question is where is metal going to go next? Are there any major new subgenres akin to NWBHM, the thrash movement and death metal movement beginning to develop or likely to develop, do people think? Or will it be a more gradual development over time by bands who do new takes on the older styles and/or fuse existing genres?

well the yankstriedto have that new wave of american heavy metal but it was just ****e. 36 crazyfists and stuff. I dunno where metal can go really...i think mastodon are doing something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I went off metal in a big way a while ago. But over the last few years I've been hugely impressed with a lot of new bands and as a result I've gotten back in the groove. Mastodon, Unearthly Trance, OM, Earthride, High on Fire, Khanate, Sunn O))), Xasthur, Leviathan, Jesu, Isis, Lair of the Minotaur and Pelican are all bands I've discovered and have not only rejuvenated my love for metal and expanded my horizons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

dimerocks wrote:
    well the yankstriedto have that new wave of american heavy metal but it was just ****e. 36 crazyfists and stuff. I dunno where metal can go really...i think mastodon are doing something different.
    Em, how about Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God, God Forbid, Chimera and Killswitch Engage...are they all ****e too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Stop talking bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

i would parcially agree with projectmayhem...ireland is a wasteland for metal gigs....but only if u dont know where to look ;)

for new up-an-coming bands, Eamon Dorans, Voodoo Lounge and Fibbers are all great spots.
    for signed metal bands....www.mcd.ie and www.aikenpromotions.com

get searchin ****ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

I want to know what ye mean by "wasteland", exactly.

Em, how about Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God, God Forbid, Chimera and Killswitch Engage...are they all ****e too?
    they ain't what i like to be honest. I would class them as instantly forgetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Well 'good' gigs are subjective I guess, but I think we've had a decent enough year. In June we have Guns n Roses, Metallica, Opeth and Down playing within a week of each other. Whether you like them all or not, that's not a bad line-up.

Guns n Roses ain't metal.

Guns n Roses ain't metal.
    what was said was that ireland was a wasteland for gigs. I think Necro was just highlighting that its not all that bad when you look at all these bands playing in the same week.

absolutely. that's a great bunch of bands playing over here. now, i'm no fan of GnR but fair play on them coming over.
    Stop talking bollocks.

i'll try my best, sir.

to quantify my point, a lenghty list of gigs was posted here (not necro's list, they'd be the "big" bands coming this year)... but all of them are pretty much of the same ilk.

in london (may be an unfair comparison, but the crowd is here to go to gigs!) you get a much more varied number of artists, small and large. i want to see nine inch nails, opeth etc. over here. all different bands, doing different things. this country has no variation.

i went to about 2 gigs last year. one of them being fantomas, i don't remember what the other was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

London is far, far bigger than Dublin you know. In any case, there's lots of great gigs here, not as many as London but keep your ear to the ground and you'll find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

absolutely. that's a great bunch of bands playing over here. now, i'm no fan of GnR but fair play on them coming over.

i'll try my best, sir.

to quantify my point, a lenghty list of gigs was posted here (not necro's list, they'd be the "big" bands coming this year)... but all of them are pretty much of the same ilk.

in london (may be an unfair comparison, but the crowd is here to go to gigs!) you get a much more varied number of artists, small and large. i want to see nine inch nails, opeth etc. over here. all different bands, doing different things. this country has no variation.

i went to about 2 gigs last year. one of them being fantomas, i don't remember what the other was...

With respect you are still talking bollocks. Of the two bands you mentioned Opeth are playing here in June and NIN are not currently touring Europe – I believe the did last year and granted that may be an example of a touring band not including Ireland but you’d be surprised the number of factors that come into play when a tour is put together.

As regards variety – and I may be missing quite a few and wrong in others but according to my records the following bands have all played in Ireland since 2004

Desaster
    Entombed
    Chimaira
    Monster Magnet
    Soilwork
    David Lee Roth
    Offspring
    Hundred Reasons
    The Haunted
    Cannibal Corpse
    Wildhearts
    Secrets of the Moon
    Funeral for a Friend
    WASP
    Hawkwind
    Green Carnation
    Bad Religion
    Incubus
    Machine Head
    H.I.M
    Dillenger Escape Plan
    Alice Cooper
    Deicide
    Dismember
    Killswitch
    Chmaira
    Korn
    Anthrax
    Metallica
    Marillion
    The Darkenss
    Slough Feg
    Obituary
    36 Crazyfists
    Whitesnake
    Krisiun
    Behemoth
    Incantation
    Motorhead
    Suffocation
    Dissection
    Velvet Revolver
    Behemoth
    Grave
    Megadeth
    Diamond Head
    Officium Triste
    Paul Dianno
    Hatebreed
    Crowbar
    Nile
    Brocas Helm
    Judas Priest
    Destruction
    Amon Amarth
    Pungent Stench
    Skyforger
    Zyklon
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Mudvayne
    Slipknot
    Slayer
    Green Carnation
    Fantomas
    FFF
    My Bloody Valentine
    CEPHALIC CARNAGE
    Nuclear Assault
    Rotting Christ
    Marduk
    Iron Maiden
    Nile
    Decapitated
    Nevermore
    Trivium
    Dragonforce
    Vital Remains
    Disturbed
    Fozzy
    Deicide
    Dio
    Steve Vai
    Slough Feg
    Exodus
    Thyrfing
    Gorgoroth
    Soulfly
    Battleroar
    Cryptopsy
    Hypocrisy
    In Flames
    Sepultura
    Bolt Thrower
    Thin Lizzy
    Cannibal Corpse
    Saxon
    Carpathian Forest

What was your point again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gentlemen, let us keep it civil and polite, yes? Surely we are all capable of expressing ourselves without the nastiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

When the hell did chimaira play and how the hell did i miss it? God damm i feel like jumping out the window now(of the first story cause i dont like pain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Patricide wrote:
    When the hell did chimaira play and how the hell did i miss it? God damm i feel like jumping out the window now(of the first story cause i dont like pain)

around June 24th 2004,with Killswitch,Shadows Fall and God Forbid.If you weren't at that you missed a great gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

O MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS, killswitch and god forbid 2, i feel like jumping of the second story now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

DOD Crew, that's an imressive list. Although I'm only upset that I missed:

Green Carnation
    Marillion
    Megadeth
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    STEVE VAI! When did steve vai play here!?

Advertisement