Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT windscreen Question

Options
  • 14-05-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am due an NCT on thursday and would like advice on what to do with a small chip i have on my windscreen. The chip is relatively small (could be covered by a 50c coin) so do you think it is worth replacing it? Is there an option of repairing it that would pass the NCT or should i risk it and possible fail the test getting away with a (free) visual recheck if needed?

Suggestions please.

The car is a "98 Renault Megane" if anyone knows how much it would cost. My insurance is with Quinn so i do not have windscreen cover.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It will fail if the chip is in the drivers line of sight.

Does your insurance not offer windscreen replacement - it's always worth having.

You could try AutoGlaze 01 455 8555 if your in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moochie

The clip is on the passengers side. I have 10-20% off a particular company that they recommend. So do you reckon i will get away with it

Thanks

Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It could go either way. I have a Golf with a crack on the passenger side of the windscreen - it passed the NCT last year but was failed this year so I have to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I imagine it that if it fails it will only need a visual reinspection so maybe just see how it goes. Eventually the chip will turn into a large crack - so get it fixed now if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would chance putting it into the test as is. If it fails, the re-test should be free, as it will be a visual inspection only.

Are you sure your insurance doesn't cover windscreen breakage (with no effect on your no Claims Bonus)?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I didn't think they did visual reinspections any more?

Just rang there and was told that visual rechecks are free so i might just take the risk. Quinn do not have windscreen cover. I will probably move to hibernan next year.

Thanks

Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

This may help:

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

(Part 10)

Thanks mate, you have made my day!

That is brilliant! It is in Zone C and would definately fit in 40mm!!

Rich

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

According to that document a cracked fog lamp lense would not be a failure as long as the thing works...

Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Chief--- wrote:
    According to that document a cracked fog lamp lense would not be a failure as long as the thing works...

Interesting.

Fog lamps are not a legal requirement in the ROI. If there are fitted the beam is checked to ensure that it is set correctly but otherwise they don't check them. I presume it's the same for spot lights.

Advertisement