Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav on Laptop ???

Options
  • 14-05-2006 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

:confused: Hello,

We are heading to Oz in August for 5 weeks and im planning on bringing my laptop.I was wondering if anybody had used there laptop before for sat nav.I seen lots of USB Receivers for sale accross the net but not sure which is best.Also is it possible to use this with software such as Microsoft auto route ????
    Hope ye can help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes it is possible, and pretty straightforward, however, do you really want to lug a laptop around with you when you're travelling?

Yes, Autoroute 2005+ does integrate with GPS receivers, but the functionality is a lot more limited than dedicated GPS devices, or PDAs running GPS software.

You might be better off trying to pick up a cheap GPS device in Oz (rentals of GPS devices are popping up all over the place). Those GPS dongles will usually work with both PDAs and PCs, so if you go down that route (pun) and it doesn't work out you could still opt for the PDA solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I used a setup in the truck recently which involved a Garmin Gps reciever and my laptop linked via a datat cable. I integrated it with Autoroute and it worked fine but whereas I had room in the truck to carry all that gear around you might not have the same space....

Satnav is coming down in price all the time. I just bought a Sony unit in Pc World last night and so far I'm very impressed. It cost €350 and comes with a full car kit etc. Well worth the money if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

thanks lads,yea i think ill go have a look at the sony model,i take that you can upgrade the maps, ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Can someone tell me what the name of the software for satr nav is that has detailed Ireland routes. It was on the news about 2/3 months ago saying it was the first detailed all ireland map.
    If you do know of it, is it detailed ALL-IRELAND or just national primary roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Navteq which is used by sony and garmin is launching a new map in the next month or so with a 100% coverage of ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement