Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a house - where to start ?

Options
  • 14-05-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of building a house on the family land in Co. Westmeath.

Can anyone suggest any good sites, book etc. that tell me where to start ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

There is a good book i bought my brother, If i remember correctly its called the "homebond housebuilding manual" it has evrything you need to know, i got it in easons and it was €45/€50

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

deadl0ck wrote:
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking of building a house on the family land in Co. Westmeath.

Can anyone suggest any good sites, book etc. that tell me where to start ?

Thanks !

I dont think you need suggestions on sites if you are going to build on the family land. I assume its books on house plans you are looking for.

Any good bookstore should be able to help with the books which are good for ideas. The Homebond book referred to by ctrl-alt-delete is a brilliant book for construction details and methods etc. but it wont help with the house design.

Dont forget to contact your local planning office with a pre planning enquirey which will give you an indication of type of house that will be acceptable before you go to the expense of getting detiled plans drawn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

muffler wrote:
    I dont think you need suggestions on sites if you are going to build on the family land.

He probably means good websites other than boards. Ask aboutmoney.com also has a homes and gardens section. I also have a book/magazine called build your own house and home published by Dyflin and available in Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

muffler wrote:
    Dont forget to contact your local planning office with a pre planning enquirey which will give you an indication of type of house that will be acceptable before you go to the expense of getting detiled plans drawn

What do you need for Pre Planning Enquiries? and how long do they take?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Your first contact should be a local architect, who has experience in dealing with your local council.

Advertisement