Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Key Cutting Auto Store???

Options
  • 14-05-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have lost/misplaced a key for my 01 BMW, and only have one left.
    Is there any auto store that can cut a BMW key?
    I can reprogram the fob myself....Any info greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Central Hardware in North Frederick St, Dublin 1 is definitely worth a try.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

BMW keys can't be cut AFAIR, BMW keep 10 keys in stock in Germany for every ECU, along with the three originally delivered with the car. You'll need to order one from your BMW Garage, and to do this, you'll need proof of ownership and ID. Takes about a week, and then the fob needs to be coded.

HTH

Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got a key cut for the BMW at my local locksmith. Its not programmed as I just needed a spare key to open/close boot & glove box.

To get one coded I need to go to BMW as the locksmith didn't have the software for my specific car to program the key. He could however do other cars so its not out of their ability to program keys.

BMW charge €150 approx for my key

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This guy can cut and program most keys - worth a call. He's mobile so he may call to you.

http://www.securityireland.com/compa...rofile/?ID=256

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

I'm 99% sure that none of the key cutting places will be able to program the EWS imobiliser beed in the key.

The dealer will be able to get you a key, usually within a week. I got one for an E36 and it was about €35. Worked fine.

Lex €150 for the key? did they have to do anything with the imobiliser itself?? I replaced an ignition barrel on an E36, the dealer got a barrel made to fit the existing keys for €50+vat, which i thought wasn't bad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's a big difference between an e36 and an e46 key. All e46 keys around around €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm 99% sure that none of the key cutting places will be able to program the EWS imobiliser beed in the key.

The dealer will be able to get you a key, usually within a week. I got one for an E36 and it was about €35. Worked fine.

Lex €150 for the key? did they have to do anything with the imobiliser itself?? I replaced an ignition barrel on an E36, the dealer got a barrel made to fit the existing keys for €50+vat, which i thought wasn't bad..
    I never got the key from BMW....too expensive and didn't need one. Its for an E39. Maybe they penalize the E39 drivers more...:(

Advertisement