Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French department

Options
  • 15-05-2006 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

i hear rumours that it isn't any good in ucd and i hear the same about the 1 in trinity. i want to do french! what's it like there?

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The French Department here isn't too bad. What specifically did you hear was bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mordecai

the daughter of a teache of mine goes there and says it's terrible. I don't really know tbh.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't think it's too bad. Admittedly, I don't study French here myself, but I've got a few friends who do. They seem to think it's pretty good. Again, I don't have any idea how it compares to other colleges, but I'm not sure that too many other people in here will either. Sorry not to be of more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Doing my French finals at the mo... they're not great to be honest, especially the native French lecturers, there's a bit of a culture clash there. There's one or two nice lecturers, but most of them are either very boring or very stereotypical up-their-own-arse academics.

As you move up through 1st, 2nd and 3rd year it becomes progressively more literature-based and less language-based. Fine, if you like that sort of thing, but if you were planning on learning how to speak French, it's not worth it!

I did Erasmus in Bordeaux year and it was a great experience. If you're not planning on doing this though, it's not really worth the hassle.

Consider European Studies in Trinity... you do two languages (some can be taken as a beginner) and focus completely on communication and grammar, including a year abroad.

Happy to answer any more specific questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I know some people doing French and they seem mostly happy with it but they did mention odd/scary native lecturers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

If you're really keen on being more fluent in the language, I hear DCU is very good.

With any arts course in UCD, it's largely what you make of it: you don't have a lot of contact time, so most of your time is spent in 'private study' ie labs, library.

Advertisement