Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this?

• 15-05-2006 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

im confused by what pc world are trying to sell on this page third product down.
    can anyone clear it up for me?

http://www.pcworld.ie/products.aspx?range_rid=43&image=Networking
    there's a wireless router and something else.
    Has anyone used this router? is it any good? Is this a good deal?
    seems to almost match komplett on price.

I am concerned though about the UK postfix on the product. what does this mean? I was of the opinion that this router accepts an rj45 cable and they're universal. the uk to me gives the impression it accepts a UK phone line or something.
    can someone clear this up?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It looks to me like a standard wireless router with built in ADSL modem. So, instead of networking your current ADSL modem into this and using it mearly as a wireless bridge, you can do away with that hook up the phone line to it directly and it should automatically pick up your ADSL connection.

Hope that clears things up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

thanks for that.
    but whats the second product in the bundle?
    and if it has an adsl modem built into it i wonder will it accept an irish phone line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

joc_06 wrote:
    thanks for that.
    and if it has an adsl modem built into it i wonder will it accept an irish phone line?

It should accept an Irish phone line as the only difference between Irish & UK phone lines are the plug & socket used.

It probably will have a BT (UK) plug on the end of the phoneline cable therefore you will either need to buy a BT to Irish (actually U.S. or RJ11) adapter or replace the cable that came with the router - these are usually detactable.

RJ45 is the Ethernet networking cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

joc_06 wrote:
    thanks for that.
    The second product in the bundle is a USB wireless adapter for your desktop/laptop and connects wirelessly to the router. It connects to the pc/laptop with a USB cable.

oh so its just a usb wireless nic essentially?

does anyone know anything about the router?
    is it actually an adsl modem too?
    whats the quality like in terms of signal strength/ reliability?

thanks for all the help for a wireless n00b!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

joc_06 wrote:

AFAIK that router doesn't have a built in modem, it's just a bog standard router

on FS comp there are 3 routers for sale, one a netopia another d-link (both for €40)and another linksys for 60. I wonder which if those and this new one is the best deal?
    ive read bad reports on all 3 tbh.
    I reckon i will just go with the new one here from pcworld. at least i'll have some comeback on it like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

joc_06 wrote:

They seem to have the description completely wrong for the USB adapter. If you click on 'Full details' you get the correct description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

joc_06 wrote:
    I am concerned though about the UK postfix on the product. what does this mean?
    It usually means that it has a UK powersupply, which will work here. For a wireless product, it may means that it is set to default to settings that are more appropriate to Europe than the US.

Routers in the US used to come with universal power supplies, which made it easy to bring stuff in from there (big savings!), and just use a plug adapter, but recently any of the routers that I've seen in the US only have 110v power supplies, so now you have to buy the UK version if you're buying a router from overseas.

thanks all, picked up a dlink one and its running fine for 60euro.

pity about my laptop though. i was being smart and tried to dl the intel proset software thinking it would be better than the xp wireless software, but it caused a bluescreen!!! now i cant get into windows at all.
    im only logged on here in safe mode. its a total disaster. Plus i cant find the option to uninstall or disable the intel proset.
    I think im going to have to format and reinstall XP at this stage.
    any help??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

joc_06 wrote:
    thanks all, picked up a dlink one and its running fine for 60euro.

pity about my laptop though. i was being smart and tried to dl the intel proset software thinking it would be better than the xp wireless software, but it caused a bluescreen!!! now i cant get into windows at all.
    im only logged on here in safe mode. its a total disaster. Plus i cant find the option to uninstall or disable the intel proset.
    I think im going to have to format and reinstall XP at this stage.
    any help??
    Try a system restore from safe mode.

i had a spare 40 gig lying about so i put xp pro onto that and i'll ghost that then onto my oroginal drive now in a bit. it needed a format anyway so its fine. just annoying.
    what happened was i tried to install the wrong version or maybe a corrupt version of the proset intel software. its sorted now and i have excellent wireless thru thw whole house...
    thanks

Advertisement