Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a Website

Options
  • 15-05-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I am setting out to design a website. I am currently deciding on whether I should do it myself with the likes of dreamweaver or frontpage or one of these or should I fork out a few thousand to a web agency? Anyone have any opinions on which way I should go? whats good and bad about doing it DIY with something like Dreamweaver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Thats a bit vague - what experience do you have of web development?
    What functionality does this site need to have?
    Is it for a business or personal?
    etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

it depends what you are trying to do and what your design experience is like. And not all web agencies charge thousands. I do websites as a sideline, and there are lots of others who do too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

OK, your site has to represent your company and look professional.

I've done a lot of sites for people who've tried to do it themselves and realized that it's harder than it seems is. First you need to get a somain name and plan out exactly what you'll need the site to do - EXACTLY, down to last detail because there's no point in starting it without a vision. Then you need to design the layouts and chop it up and code it around a content management system so it can be easily updated at any stage. Then set up the hosting and upload the files, do the testing and add the content and set it live.

If you're going to do it, use Dreamweaver - but you'll end up back with an agency in a few months any way. Send me a message then and I'll send you a tender for the job. I have a good portfolio with a lot of high profile clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

The questions you pose should be asked here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

shouldn't cost 1000's to have a site designed.

Issues about doing it yourself would be in relation to getting a professional look, having something that can be updated easily (Content Managed), having something that will perform well with Search Engines.

A lot of people thing setting up a successful website is easy.
    Believe me, it is far from that.
    It is extremely time-consuming even after the site goes live...

I've plenty of experience in this field so if I can be of any help, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my email address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement