Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic bb question...

• 15-05-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I signed up to BT broadband for the 2mb connection. After just testing my connection speed (on irishisptest.com etc), it is giving me results of 855kbps for DL and 105kbps for upload. Does this sound right, or does it sound like I am actually only signed up to the 1mb connection?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Log on to the router and check the connection stats. If it says you're connected at 1M/128k then BT have you on the wrong connection. If it says 2M/256k then you're on the right one but your line may be of insufficient quality. Whether BT will do anything about the latter is probably very unlikely as Eircom decide whether your line is good enough or not and BT won't challenge them. They can downgrade you, at a cost, and you'll pay less per month but also have a lower cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Downgrade you at a cost??? Surely that cant be right. So you are saying they sell you a service which they can't actually provide and then try charging you for the privilege of being downgraded to something thay may work? Shirley not!

Only curious as I will be getting the 2 meg service this week mysefl but my line is only a conditional pass so it may not work for me when it arrives at full 2meg capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ludo wrote:
    Downgrade you at a cost??? Surely that cant be right. So you are saying they sell you a service which they can't actually provide and then try charging you for the privilege of being downgraded to something thay may work? Shirley not!

Only curious as I will be getting the 2 meg service this week mysefl but my line is only a conditional pass so it may not work for me when it arrives at full 2meg capability.
    All the BB packages from all the Eircom resellers, including BT, are "up to" the advertised speeds. Whatever package you're on it can go as low as 256k down and still within their parameters. This is stated in their T&C's so they're covered.
    If you decide you don't want to pay for the higher package, even though you can't get it, you will be charged for the downgrade.
    It's crap I know but thats the way it is.
    Upgrades are free btw.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

it would be worth checking the filters, i had this issue of connecting at 1m /128k and i had a 2M /256k package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Presumably it is difficult to predict the performance on a line in advance of bb being activated on it?

If you only have a conditional pass wouldnt it be best to get the slowest product and work upwards from there?

I have also found that different routers/modems will give better performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement