Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best i can get for €300 - €350?

Options
  • 15-05-2006 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I've been having a look on komplett for a PCI-E gfx card and im between two minds as to wether im gonna go ATI or Nvidia.... i know ati dont support hdr with oblivion and i can live with that but what else is better about Nvidia cards if anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Uhh ATI do support HDR with Oblivion even AA+HDR which NVIDIA do not & cant (they can support HDR but without using AA at the same time).

You might be thinking on the previous X800 series the newer X1000 series are much better.

As for the best around €300 well as it so happens ATI have just launched their new X1900GT which is their answer to the 7900GT in terms of performance they are both close to each other and win/lose some depending on the benchmarks.

Komplett have one going for €308 but not in stock, however it is cheaper than any of the 7900GT's for that price the X1900GT is what I'd go for but if you really want NVIDIA for some reason then the 7900GT is the one to go for on that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

8T8 wrote:
    Uhh ATI do support HDR with Oblivion even AA+HDR which NVIDIA do not & cant (they can support HDR but without using AA at the same time).

You might be thinking on the previous X800 series the newer X1000 series are much better.

As for the best around €300 well as it so happens ATI have just launched their new X1900GT which is their answer to the 7900GT in terms of performance they are both close to each other and win/lose some depending on the benchmarks.

Komplett have one going for €308 but not in stock, however it is cheaper than any of the 7900GT's for that price the X1900GT is what I'd go for but if you really want NVIDIA for some reason then the 7900GT is the one to go for on that side.
    aha sorry i knew one of em didnt, cheers m8y looks like good card

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

I can do a Radeon X1900XT new for €390+VAT

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You could get a X1800XT for €310 from Overclockers.co.uk

It beats a 7800GTX by a good bit and supports HDR/AA like 8T8 said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Notintheface

Overclockers have a range of 7900GT cards for 300 -350 inc. postage. The x1900gt doesn't quite match up to the 7900gt, it's got less pipelines and if you google a few reviews you'll see it can lag by as much as 20fps in some games.

• Advertisement

Well then get the X1800XT 512

It owns the 7800GTX and 7900GT and it has 512mb of vram and it supports HDR/AA and 6AA in source and............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Overclockers have a range of 7900GT cards for 300 -350 inc. postage. The x1900gt doesn't quite match up to the 7900gt, it's got less pipelines and if you google a few reviews you'll see it can lag by as much as 20fps in some games.

Not quite the specifications of the 7900GT aren't the total slam dunk you think they are and pipelines are not the determining factor in performance, for example the 7900GT has 24 texture management units but can only output to 16 ROP's.

The X1900GT has more shader processing power under the bonnet than the 7900GT 36ps vs the 24 of the 7900 so it would make a better long term choice, the more games that uses shaders the more it will benefit.

The 7900gt wins a lot of the "older" benches such as Farcry and Doom3 becasue there still using the "old fashioned" tech.

The ATI cards will slaughter them in newer games and future games such as Crysis..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

anyone know what the X1900rx is like? i can't see anything online, well! not in english anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

all i could find was that it was a rebadged x1900, same clocks. maybe it has differently rated memory?

• Advertisement
Advertisement