Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amstrad dx3092 divx/xvid player 40 euro in dunnes

• 15-05-2006 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

just saw this in dunnes stores yesterday.seems like a real bargain for that money.review of it here http://dx3092.tripod.com/dx3092.htm .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

Noticed they are doing a Laptop as well for 699 Euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

but its an Amstrad which means it has the build quality of a turd after a week in a septic tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I like the exchange rate - 20 Sterling = 40 Euro. Even when something's a bargain, we're being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Components look very similiar to my IIsonic II3016PU player.
    Software is the same and uses the same keys to enter secret menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

have the iisonic and its ok for divx (has some problems with sound syching) but such crap for DVDs...i hate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Anyone see these in Cork, might pick one up if im in town tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

just got one in blanch.....fantasic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Got one yesterday, I played a couple of DivX tv shows on it and they were fine. I also put a DVD on for a few minutes which also seemed fine so for €40 I can't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Just had a look at one in my local Dunnes.

If it had a USB connection it would be the dogs, no more burning DVDs

cgf wrote:
    Just had a look at one in my local Dunnes.

If it had a USB connection it would be the dogs, no more burning DVDs

It takes less than 2 minutes to burn an hour of DivX video to a rewriteable DVD so it's not really all that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

masterK wrote:
    It takes less than 2 minutes to burn an hour of DivX video to a rewriteable DVD so it's not really all that big a deal.

until some sap scratches your disk! :D
    usb would be very handy indeed but for €40 you can't go wrong alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

usb would be very hany, i'll admit, ive so many dvd's around, all unlabelled and unpackaged! Disgrace I tells ya...

One thing, how does it handle packed bit streams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

masterK wrote:
    Does this Amstrad read DVD-RWs ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I tired in my local Dunnes and they didn't have it. Had a normal DVD player for €40.
    It iwas nice too, it had blue led lights, but I wanted the Amstrad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

just been down to the dunnes in ongar dublin 15, they have loads of these babies in there. although when i opened the box, my one is black and not silver as it is on the box. still, at least it doesn't have any TRACES OF NUTS and for €39.99 it is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

While were on the subject anyone have any links or cheap enough DivEx with USB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Yup - just burn your AVIs to DVD and it should play in the Amstrad. Seems to support the main DVD types. As robcon mentions, if you use re-writeable DVD it will be more efficient but a USB would be the dogs.......

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=362952

I was watching Prison Break on it last night with the AVI burned straight to DVD and I noticed the sound was very slightly out of sync with the video at some points, it was nothing too noticable and didn't really bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

if you pause the avi the sound sometimes synchs up when you start again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

Thanks for posting this, it doesnt say Divx on the outside of the box so I would have completely missed it. Got one in Galway last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Screw USB, I like my networked one, a certain Kiss DP500
    Best thing I ever bought, espically considering it was less than 150. And would you look at that, Komplett and Amazon do Kiss DVD Players, hell eBay even have them.

Software is provided by Kiss (not great) or there is a third party project on Sourceforge which is fantastic. I wouldn't ever buy another DVD Player.

SnappieT,

The Dp1500 model seems to have been discontinued so the next cheapest model is the one on komplett for €366. quite a lot more expensive than €40!

With regards the audio going out of sync, this seems to happen most on DivX files encoded with a 23.94 frames per second NTSC encoding. Even if you were to convert these DivX files to Pal or NTSC DVD discs, there will be a small stutter every couple of frames and the audio frequently messes up. I am not an expert on this, but as far as i know you would need to spend a long time re-encoding the video stream in a program like TMPENG with 3/2 frame pulldown to fill in those extra frames and have it run smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

plenty of the Amstrad units in Dunnes blanchardstown center today...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭nome

#Elites wrote:
    Hmm might buy one of these, as i like watching some TV shows that i have on my PC in the Big screen, but i hate waiting for DVD's to be made.

Im kinda "new" to all this, but could i just burn .avi video files to a cd/data dvd and just play it on the DVD player above?

yeap just burn a data dvd disk with the avi files, you sould fit about 12 episode on one disk!! so a whole series on two dvds! its the reason i bought this player! got sick of waitin hour to make up dvd movie and then after all the trouble they're usually out of audio sync.( p.s. give them short file names, the avi menu screen only shows 10 characters!)
    masterK wrote:
    I was watching Prison Break on it last night with the AVI burned straight to DVD and I noticed the sound was very slightly out of sync with the video at some points, it was nothing too noticable and didn't really bother me.

did you check the quality of the episode on your comp befor you burned it, the original avi could be the problem with the lip sync.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Well this is strange... I was in Currys 2 weeks ago & they had only one of these players left on the shelf - I liked the unit (small & cheap! :D) but I asked a few of the staff about it and was told it was not a Divx player, only MP4 :rolleyes: . I kinda got the impression they hadn't the foggiest what I was talking about, but I was buying it for someone else so didn't take the chance on the display one. They said they should be getting more in, but that could be BS too!!

Saw them for 39.99 in Dunnes since - just restocked yesterday in Dunnes Childers Rd., Limerick.

(Ended up getting a Nissan (yeah, I know...:p) Divx player for 82yoyoz in Maplin - plays DVD+ and -R)
    - Looks good!

nome wrote:
    did you check the quality of the episode on your comp befor you burned it, the original avi could be the problem with the lip sync.

It's not the video, launched the AVI on the PC and also used DivXToDVD to convert and then burn with DVDShrink and playback on the Amstrad and it's fine.

Several of the Amstrad units in Dunnes St. Stephen's Green Centre today also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Anyone have any trouble playing DVD-R movies, I have tried on an 'acoustic solutions' (I know) player and have had trouble towards the end of the film where the very same disc was quite happy sitting inside an older Philips, anyone have similar problems with the Amstrad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Serbian

snappieT wrote:
    Screw USB, I like my networked one, a certain Kiss DP500

I'm sure it's great, but man, that's the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Looks like a 1980s VHS Player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

hi there!
    anyone got phone numbers for currys galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Serbian wrote:
    I'm sure it's great, but man, that's the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Looks like a 1980s VHS Player.
    It's actually not bad at all. Pretty cool colours, though it is a bit on the big side.

And you can always pick one up second hand, if anyone is stupid enough to be selling theirs.

Finally got the little Amstrad DX3092 for myself in Dunnes, Childers rd. (Limerick) last night (Currys were sold out of 'em, but they had a similar looking Maxim thingy - anyone had a proper look at that one? They were more intersted in clearing customers out to close up the shop at 8:50pm :rolleyes:).

Very impressed with it so far (for the price - 39.95). Has played CD-R and DVD-R with as many avi files as I could fit (Handy for Lost & 24 - A full season on 2 DVDs :D).

Only thing is, there were 2 boxes left on the shelf, one was empty and the other had been opened. Staff were extremely helpful and wrote on receipt that box was opened & and to refund fully if there were any problems. I know thats basically your consumer rights anyway, but its nice when it is suggested to you and you don't have to fight tooth & nail for it!

If I get a year out of this player I'll be well happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

picked one up this morning, loads left in dunnes in ashbourne :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

viking wrote:
    Several of the Amstrad units in Dunnes St. Stephen's Green Centre today also...

about 5 on shelf there this morning (monday 22nd)
    they are in the supermarket part (basement) at the customer servies desk.

one of the staff told me they didn't sell dvd players....

i'll be putting it through its paces tonight.

/ds

mine is chugging along nicely, been playing divx and xvid files on it mostly, with no probs. must try some nero mp4 files tonight just to see if they work.

was watching a dvd on it last night and it stopped & the sounds went all mad, i though "here we go" but it turns out that disc was just dirty :phew

• Advertisement

Tried the MP4 files generated by www.video.google.com, but they don't work (didn't expect em to!) but everything else - no bother! Tis cool! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

this thing is pretty ghetto, and even though the region is set to 0, it won't play any region 1 discs :(

edit:they must be RCE discs

The discs you tried may have Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE) perhaps?

EDIT: Just tried my R1 Fight Club DVD and got "Wrong region" message hmmm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Anyone know which stores in Cork have these ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As and from this morning, there were 8 of these left in Dunnes stores in Waterford, if anyone down here is after one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

demosuzki wrote:
    i'll be putting it through its paces tonight.
    /ds

I tried a lot of different video on it and i'm impressed.
    not a hic up.

I do have a problem with the user interface for playing mp3 music. or I may be just stupid.
    have a dvd with tons of stuff but its hard to navigate up / down directories.
    its very slow to move.

still very happy with its video playback so for 40 yo-yos I can't complain.

/ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

There were loads left in Ashbourne as of Sunday evening. Got mine last week, I'm fairly impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭nome

is anyone else's slow to open the tray when you first turn it on,like the button doesn't work? it happened the first time i used mine but didn't take much notice of it but it happened then there again last nite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

It doesn't play xvids with AC3 tracks :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fozzee

Kramer wrote:
    It doesn't play xvids with AC3 tracks :( .

Well they do play on mine. I believe this player only has 2 channel output. So it plays ac3 in stereo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Hunter S wrote:
    While were on the subject anyone have any links or cheap enough DivEx with USB?

how about
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/424180/art/sigmatek/xs-700-pro-dvd-player.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Auld thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement