Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a Website

Options
  • 15-05-2006 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I am setting out to design a website. I am currently deciding on whether I should do it myself with the likes of dreamweaver. Anyone have any opinions on whats good and bad about doing it DIY with something like Dreamweaver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

yellow wrote:
    Hi I am setting out to design a website. I am currently deciding on whether I should do it myself with the likes of dreamweaver. Anyone have any opinions on whats good and bad about doing it DIY with something like Dreamweaver?
    Hi me too! I have just bought Serif WebPlus 8 (approx 12 euro) as I have heard that it is good program. I would welcome any opinions as well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

yellow wrote:
    I am currently deciding on whether I should do it myself with the likes of dreamweaver. Anyone have any opinions on whats good and bad about doing it DIY with something like Dreamweaver?

Well it depends on what the site's for to be honest.

If it's a hobbiest site or you're just doing it for a small local company then knocking the site up yourself without much web design experience and a copy of Dreamweaver would probably be fine. You'll just need to take a little time out to learn how it's done.

If you're setting up a site for a half-decent sized company who are looking for credibility in their brand and a return on their investment then it would probably be a job for a professional web designer who is competent in the areas of typography, layout, graphic design, web standards and accessibility. Ditto if you need any integrated applications - you may need to get a developer involved. Having said this, there are plenty of open source, ready to deploy apps available free.

If you're developing a serious site for an SME or anything larger, then I would recommend leaving it to the professionals (by professionals, I don't necessarily mean anyone that claims to be a professional web design house either - do some research, get some references from larger clients, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If you're developing a serious site for an SME or anything larger, then I would recommend leaving it to the professionals (by professionals, I don't necessarily mean anyone that claims to be a professional web design house either - do some research, get some references from larger clients, etc.)
    That's a good one.

Indeed man he's right. If you want to learn something, get a stack of books from Amazon or ....??? and using Dreamweaver MX you'll have a good website in no time. Just don't rush into it. Good things comes to those who wait and have the pacients.

Advertisement