Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra Subs For Extra Time

• 15-05-2006 1:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After watching the FA Cup final and watching some players who looked likey they could hardly contiune I came accross this by Liverpool chief Parry about allowing one extra sub for xtra time.

Read the bit about subs

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Except Harewood West Ham didn't seem to have a problem. Maybe Parry should complain about fitness training for his squad and not allowing extra subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well its tough when your playing 62 games in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

In fairness, there were players from both sides dropping with cramp like flies (do flies get cramp?).

One extra sub for each side would be a great idea. Fair play to Parry for coming out and saying it even after Liverpool won, it'd be too easy to just forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I agree with the extra sub allowance for Extra Time. Two more each seems fair, and would have worked in West Hams favour perhaps with Harewood.

Btw, I mentioned it in my post-match report *before* Parry mentioned it. Maybe he reads boards.ie ;-)

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

It always makes me laugh when players complain about being tired , they're professional athletes ffs , they should be well able to play the amount of games in a season at their level of fitness , most of them are big girls blouses if you ask me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

last season the average chelsea player was running 11/12 miles a game on the first day of the season and 8 miles a game on the last. professional athletes do get tired too, they are not machines. also i dont remember hearing any liverpool players complain this season about being tired or too many games unlike some teams in the past.

meldrew wrote:
    It always makes me laugh when players complain about being tired , they're professional athletes ffs , they should be well able to play the amount of games in a season at their level of fitness , most of them are big girls blouses if you ask me !

So they were pretending to have cramp?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So they were pretending to have cramp?

Either that or Rafa put a bet of his £30 mill transfer money on...

3-3 Full time
    3-1 Penos to Pool at 100,000,000/1

Now we can rival chelsea in the transfer market!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

meldrew wrote:
    and it always makes me laugh when I see comments like this....:rolleyes:

redspider wrote:
    I agree with the extra sub allowance for Extra Time. Two more each seems fair, and would have worked in West Hams favour perhaps with Harewood.

Btw, I mentioned it in my post-match report *before* Parry mentioned it. Maybe he reads boards.ie ;-)

redspider

What use would one sub be in this situation? Liverpool at stages had 4-5 players lying on the ground, the needed a whole new team out on the field. West ham really could of used an extra sub for Harewood because he was just injuryed....Liverpool player had cramp

• Advertisement

redspider wrote:

redspider

What use would one sub be in this situation? Liverpool at stages had 4-5 players lying on the ground, the needed a whole new team out on the field. West ham really could of used an extra sub for Harewood because he was just injuryed....Liverpool player had cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Maybe the authorities could take a leaf out of the GAA's handbook on this isue, when a GAA game goes to extra time, it is treated as a new game. Therefore teams would be allowed to make the same number of substitutions in extra time as they would be in normal time.

The only bad thing about the way the GAA do this is that if a team has had a man sent off in normal time, as they see it as a new game, that team is restored to its full compliment, but the player who was dismissed cant take part.

mchurl wrote:
    Maybe the authorities could take a leaf out of the GAA's handbook on this isue, when a GAA game goes to extra time, it is treated as a new game. Therefore teams would be allowed to make the same number of substitutions in extra time as they would be in normal time.

The only bad thing about the way the GAA do this is that if a team has had a man sent off in normal time, as they see it as a new game, that team is restored to its full compliment, but the player who was dismissed cant take part.

Big girls blouses! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Lex Luthor wrote:
    and it always makes me laugh when I see comments like this....:rolleyes:
    Your point being ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Big Nelly wrote:
    Except Harewood West Ham didn't seem to have a problem. Maybe Parry should complain about fitness training for his squad and not allowing extra subs
    whats that got to do with the question?
    What use would one sub be in this situation? Liverpool at stages had 4-5 players lying on the ground, the needed a whole new team out on the field.
    again whats you're point...replacing one player who was unfit with somone who was fit wouldnt make a difference if 2-3 other players were having cramps? that logic doesn't make sense to me.
    West ham really could of used an extra sub for Harewood because he was just injuryed....Liverpool player had cramp
    which is why the question is being asked "do you think extra subs should be allowed in extra time"

i think 1 extra sub should be allowed in extra in case of injuries and to prevent extra time becoming an extra thirty minutes for everyone to wait for penalties.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

No extra subs are not needed. It was the pace of the game that had so many of the players going down with cramp but that certainly isnt usually the case so to me the cup final was a strange game. You may get one or two players with cramp but tbh players can get cramp during the 90 mins too.

An extra sub is not needed and wont happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

redspider wrote:
    :D even more unlikely he might read a redspider post-match report having found his way to boards.ie :p

Advertisement