Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone know how to get producers on board?

• 15-05-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I have the very immediate possibility of getting some money to make a short film and I'm wondering if anyone knows where to vie for interest?
    I've no idea where to start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Devinho

...and say "I've got some money to make a short film, and I'm looking for a producer". The first three words of your statement are operative - I'd wager it'll take you no more than five phone calls to get a producer interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Agentembryo@hot

Yeah, I was thinking more in terms of where to look.
    For individuals? Or production companies?
    TRICKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SteadicamSteve

What size budget are you talking about? Ballpark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

what size budget.
    What lenght film.
    What location.
    Who is your target market?
    Do you have equipment.Camera etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Agentembryo@hot

The budget is 10,000 and free use of equipment for a week. Let's just say I've been shortlisted for something. Length is about 15 minutes.
    Anyway, I need to get a preliminary budget together in two weeks, with a few other details too.
    BASICALLY I NEED A PRODUCER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Devinho

Filmbase, no doubt. Well done!

I was shortlisted for that a couple years back - I rang all the producers I knew (three of them) and when each one turned me down (either because they had scheduling issues or had moved beyond that stage of their careers to bigger things) I asked them to suggest someone else. Within two days I had a producer attached - someone known to Filmbase (he'd produced a previous RTE/Filmbase short) and who was in post on a feature. I believe it's considered a good thing for an inexperienced director to have an experienced producer attached.

Thing was - as soon as I said "Hi, my name is Devinho, I've been shortlisted for the RTE/Filmbase short script award and I'm looking for a producer", all kinds of doors opened.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I got funding last year from the Galway Film Centre (same scheme as Filmbase essentially) and it really helped our case that we had an experienced producer acting as executive producer for the film. It means that they know there's someone on board with the project that you can turn to when there's problems.

Take a look at recent shorts that have been made in Ireland that you like - check out the ones that are similar in style maybe to your own or how you want yours to be and then approach those companies for a start.

Quick question - the next deadline for Filmbase is at the end of June. Are they only shortlisting the last round now or is this a Cork Film Centre award you're up for?

Advertisement