Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big BT improvement!? Will it last?

• 15-05-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

From approx. Feb to April I'd been having a lot of disconnects. Speed was often very poor also. I've never been able to get the phone and BB to work at the same time - making/receiving a tel. call disconnected BB. I've had many contacts with BT about these problems.

Haven't been online much over past few weeks, but realised yesterday that there have been no complaints from anyone else recently about disconnects. Tried irishisptest.com last night and getting 2.3 - 2.5 down and 300+ up (BB Plus 3Mb package). So, tried plugging both phone and BB in and it worked! Could make and receive calls and the speed kept up around 1.8 - 2Mb down while on the phone!

Have BT done something to the lines or their service? I haven't done anything with tel. lines or equipment. Whatever the reason, I'm very pleased...and just hope that it keeps up.

Has anyone else noticed improvements?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd been having 4+ disconnects a day until ~4th of this month. BT contacted me to follow up on a ticket and reckoned it was Eircom's fault (which I believe, Cork has been all over the shop since the upgrade). Fair dues to them for contacting me like, but even according to themselves it wasn't something their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

There may be many having quality problems that their ISP either aren't owning up to or aren't able to pin down. BT kept insisting to me that my line as far as the house was fine and that it was a problem with the internal wiring, or because of the alarm or phone etc.

I can't think of anything that I've done inside the house, and BT haven't contacted me to tell me that they've done something, but the service is much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Absolutely. I neglected to mention that BT only admitted there was actually a problem after it was corrected. This despite the fact that they had connection logs, from which yerone could confirm that I was now connecting once a day, as the service is supposed to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm in the Ranelagh area and have BT broadband about a month now. It's disconnecting several times a day and the speed varies from extremely slow (56kish) to very fast. It's so frustrating. Is there anything they can do for me to correct this?

I'm in the Ranelagh area and have BT broadband about a month now. It's disconnecting several times a day and the speed varies from extremely slow (56kish) to very fast. It's so frustrating. Is there anything they can do for me to correct this?

Have you been on to their support staff? It is possible that there is something they could sort out. For example, early on I did have a faulty dual micro filter. You'll need to try and eliminate all possible faults between the phone line junction box into the house and your BB connection, including modem and PC. After that, it's a case of trying to persuade them it's a problem with the line to the house or in the exchange. They never agreed that it was a problem at their end with me, but as per posts above, it's practically perfect now without me doing anything.

P.S. any other equipment connected to the phone line is filtered? Have you tried connecting modem directly to the main phone socket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

8track wrote:
    From approx. Feb to April I'd been having a lot of disconnects. Speed was often very poor also. I've never been able to get the phone and BB to work at the same time - making/receiving a tel. call disconnected BB. I've had many contacts with BT about these problems.

Haven't been online much over past few weeks, but realised yesterday that there have been no complaints from anyone else recently about disconnects. Tried irishisptest.com last night and getting 2.3 - 2.5 down and 300+ up (BB Plus 3Mb package). So, tried plugging both phone and BB in and it worked! Could make and receive calls and the speed kept up around 1.8 - 2Mb down while on the phone!

Have BT done something to the lines or their service? I haven't done anything with tel. lines or equipment. Whatever the reason, I'm very pleased...and just hope that it keeps up.

Has anyone else noticed improvements?
    If your BB was being disconnected by an incoming phone call, then it was clearly an eircom issue, not a BT issue. BT are just reselling eircoms bitstream service, and they don't have any physical ownership of the connection between your house and the exchange. While problems on BTs backhaul can cause slowdowns, or routing issues connecting to particular sites, any problems caused by "noise", interference from phone calls, etc are clearly happening before your DSL signal gets handed over to BT by eircom.

There is absolutely nothing that BT could have done to fix the problem that you described - the problem, and therefore the fix, was entirely in eircoms hands.

Foxwood wrote:
    If your BB was being disconnected by an incoming phone call, then it was clearly an eircom issue, not a BT issue. BT are just reselling eircoms bitstream service, and they don't have any physical ownership of the connection between your house and the exchange. While problems on BTs backhaul can cause slowdowns, or routing issues connecting to particular sites, any problems caused by "noise", interference from phone calls, etc are clearly happening before your DSL signal gets handed over to BT by eircom.

There is absolutely nothing that BT could have done to fix the problem that you described - the problem, and therefore the fix, was entirely in eircoms hands.

They may not have physical ownership but they've been charging me for both the line rental and providing a BB service over it - BB working properly or not. This suggests that BT have a problem in managing Eircom's service to them? I can't deal with Eircom because I'm not their customer.

Also, regret to report that tonight, although no disconnects, download speed and quality of service have dropped, according to irishisptest. Down tonight to 1Mb - 1.6Mb down (3Mb package) with quality of service from 3% to 60%. Perhaps this can be caused by a larger number online at the time in my area rather than line/exchange problems?

Further info - Now just over an hour later and speed back up to 2.5Mb download and quality 90+%!! As it's now late, this backs up the idea that speed/quality depends on the number of people online? Does contention ratio mean that there is a max number that share any one line at one time?

Advertisement