Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

Options
  • 15-05-2006 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I'm currently in 2nd year Computer Science (DT228/2), and I've decided I'd like to repeat if it's possible. I'm carrying a subject from 1st year, so Im guessing that HAS to be passed before I can do anything.

I was wondering if anyone has information on, repeating costs, how you go about repeating, and if it's possible when carrying subjects??

Thanks in advance

__

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Why don't you just repeat them in August if you fail any ? 2nd year is really tough, I failed 2 subjects in 2nd year (Accounting and Data Communications) but I passed them in the repeats in August.. There was about 40 people repeating Data Comms out of a class of roughly 75 and I heard it was about the same for C++ so it's not uncommon for people to fail subjects in 2nd year..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Egyptian wrote:
    I'm currently in 2nd year Computer Science (DT228/2), and I've decided I'd like to repeat if it's possible. I'm carrying a subject from 1st year, so Im guessing that HAS to be passed before I can do anything.

I was wondering if anyone has information on, repeating costs, how you go about repeating, and if it's possible when carrying subjects??

Thanks in advance

__
    who are you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Repli wrote:
    Why don't you just repeat them in August if you fail any ?
    Unfortunately I've failed some of the CA's which leaves me with no choice... :(

I've heard that it's €2500 to repeat the year ( €1750 + €750 for Registration ). Am I right in assuming that's correct? And am I eligible for repeating as long as I pass the carry subject?

I know I should be asking one of the lecturers or the registrations office but I was wondering if anyone else has done the same thing, or known someone who's been in a similar situation.

Thanks in advance

__

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

You are allowed carry non-core subject assessments, and usually if it's only 1 CA, in rare cases you might be allowed carry 2. I carried the data comms CA into 3rd year, and the financial accounting guy held a repeat of the CA in September. Your best bet is to talk to Ciaran and Oliver..

Yeah im going to talk to Ciaran tomorrow about it, see what my options are. I'd really like to repeat, put the effort in, and get to do work placement for 3rd year.

Thanks for the help

__

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I'd say it's a bit more expensive then that to repeat... I think journalism was over 3,000 , so I'd think a course with lab work etc would be more expensive, at least that's the theory anyhows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'd say it's a bit more expensive then that to repeat... I think journalism was over 3,000 , so I'd think a course with lab work etc would be more expensive, at least that's the theory anyhows.
    I don't think it is. I know a guy who came out of another course and registered in our course, and it cost about €2500. I'm thinking of repeating first year because I really don't want to carry problem solving and algorithmic design in to second year.

Well repeating 2nd year will cost in and around €3,000 including €750 for registration. And once I pass my carry subject, I'll be eligible to repeat.

I really don't want to carry problem solving and algorithmic design in to second year
    This is the exam I carried through 2nd year, and I realised after failing it twice, and actually putting a bit of work into it, it's a fairly easy subject. Also the exams are fairly similar year after year.

As I'm repeating the subject, I know it's on Monday. So as long as you've done enough in CA, you should have no problem doing a bit of work for it over the weekend. Also even if the CA hasn't gone too well, you can pass by compensation, if you've done well in the other exams.

If you do end up repeating 1st year, make sure you really want this course, and don't waste another year, just to find 2nd year is even harder. Then again, in saying that, I think most people find 2nd year hard because they do little or no work over the year. And yes... I would be one of them, hence repeating.

If your up for putting in some extra effort, you'll be fine.

__

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i repeated externally this year, worked out good. just do a bit over the year and you'll be grand, gotta learn self motivation tho, should help me in future tho. only paid 100 for exams

Advertisement