Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Ag marbh wrote:
    I don't dismiss that I haven't looked into it enough to offer an alternative that I would be willing to post this evening but I don't want to see men die and human rights taken.
    We will be waiting a long time if your 100 word treatise is any guide...

Alternate means one thing or another. Options would be what your are alluding to.

So the alternative to letting them stay is letting them go. :D

These people will be comitting suicide if they do not succeed in their effort! Now if you do not want to see them dying go and try talking sense to the. If they are having their human rights taken it is certainly not by the Irish people!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

somehow our asylum system refused them - that seems to be a fault of the system, not their fault.

Well, without the extensive access to their case notes which you obviously have, how can people tell?

I'm still waiting for someone to answer them main conundrum that I raised here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51387549&postcount=303). I do wish the people who are supporting this action would answer it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 munster30

ferdi wrote:
    if we like it or not, if these lads start dying, minister McBowel will have to back down.
    Maggie never backed down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ag marbh wrote:
    I don't dismiss that I haven't looked into it enough to offer an alternative that I would be willing to post this evening but I don't want to see men die and human rights taken.
    The point is, AM, they HAVE NOT lost their Human Rights.

They are all subject to the due process afforded to them under Irish Law. If this process contravened their human rights, the UNHCR would, quite rightly, have a case against the state in the ECHR.
    hellboy99 wrote:
    campaigning for lawbreakers
    In AM's defence, they haven't broken any law in the state yet, Hellboy. Their protest is lawful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

ya the bitch didn't back down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Ag marbh wrote:

For starters they are attempting to blackmail the government into what they want, no one is holding a gun to them and telling them to go on hunger strike, that was their own choice and their human rights have not been taken from them either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

If its true that 6 teenagers and one adult are still refusing water then they are heading into the 5th day without water. Thats well dodgy and very dangerous for their own safety.

lets see if they can go 55 DAYS without food and water if they survive without medical help then let them stay

babybundy wrote:
    lets see if they can go 55 DAYS without food and water if they survive without medical help then let them stay

Why don't you just let the adults debate this one mate. You're not helping in any way.

thats my opion someone said earlier see if they can go for 5 days 5 days is nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

babybundy wrote:
    ya the bitch didn't back down

Last I checked we werent an imperial power occupying a part of Afghanistan or that we in fact have any real relationship to that country at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

babybundy wrote:
    thats my opion someone said earlier see if they can go for 5 days 5 days is nothing
    They won't last 5 days without water, food fine, but not water. If they were fed water (which I heard somewhere that they were last night) then they could easily last in excess of 40 days. Without water they'd be dead inside a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They'll probably keep collapsing, being brought to hospital, put on a drip and allowed to recover, then back to the church to do it again.

munster30 wrote:
    Maggie never backed down
    thats wat that was in relation to scop

silas wrote:
    They won't last 5 days without water, food fine, but not water. If they were fed water (which I heard somewhere that they were last night) then they could easily last in excess of 40 days. Without water they'd be dead inside a week.

Some of them are still refusing water, mostly the teenagers. Food you can last a long time. As you say, without water, no. 5 - 6 days max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

babybundy wrote:
    thats wat that was in relation to scop

I am well aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

babybundy wrote:
    Where are you getting your 55 days from?

so there has been 3 taken to hospital today bill for their care

I assume they're the one's getting hospitalized. I think the rule of thumb is 40 days without food and 3-5 days without water, and after 2-3 days you begin to do irrepairable damage to your body with urine being absorbed back into your bloodstream.

Where are you getting your 55 days from?
    random number that i no is over the top

• Advertisement

silas wrote:
    I assume they're the one's getting hospitalized. I think the rule of thumb is 40 days without food and 3-5 days without water, and after 2-3 days you begin to do irrepairable damage to your body with urine being absorbed back into your bloodstream.

There general consensus on this is that at 30 C an average size man can survive for 3 days without water, longer if the temperature is lower. At 10 C he can survive for up to 10.

A Hunger strike can start to damage the liver after just 10 days as the body starts to burn its own fat and produce ketones, which are toxic at excessive levels and normally disposed of in urine.

However after 3 days of water deprivation, the body will store water rather than excrete it in urine.

At this point the damage done to the body is accelerated.

The very latest is that the UN high commisioner has offerered to intervene. Medical experts have warned the men’s condition will deteriorate rapidly as they enter a fourth and fifth day without water.

There general consensus on this is that at 30 C an average size man can survive for 3 days without water, longer if the temperature is lower. At 10 C he can survive for up to 10.

A Hunger strike can start to damage the liver after just 10 days as the body starts to burn its own fat and produce ketones, which are toxic at excessive levels and normally disposed of in urine.

However after 3 days of water deprivation, the body will store water rather than excrete it in urine.

At this point the damage done to the body is accelerated.
    Oh right, didn't know that the temperature made that much of a difference, I'm guessing in that church it has to be around 10-15C.

I find it a little strange though that a person could die after 3 days of water deprivation, without liver failure/damage. I would have thought that liver failure would have been been one of the deciding factors leading to death, but if I understand your take on it, that would take at least 10 days.

Anyways interesting, thanks for pointing the above out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

"The United Nations Human Rights Commission has offered to act as an intermediary to resolve the hunger strike 40 Afghans embarked on in a Dublin cathedral over the state’s refusal to grant them asylum, it emerged tonight."

"Manuel Jordao, UNHCR representative in Ireland, endorsed the Irish Government’s decision to assess the men’s applications individually."

Even the UN is backing our position, the lefty loonies like Ag Marbh have no credibility at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

rkeane wrote:
    Even the UN is backing our position, the lefty loonies like Ag Marbh have no credibility at all.

Yeah we're all off our heads... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

tbh wrote:
    she's stalking you dude!!!:D

:o:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Ag marbh wrote:
    Yeah we're all off our heads... :rolleyes:

Finally!
    An admission

Took a long time coming

Heinrich wrote:
    Finally!
    An admission

Took a long time coming
    Some honesty from the headbangers, thats a first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Let them starve, if we let them stay we wont just have slav's and nigerians destroying the economy and social infrastruture we will have half of afghanistan and anywhere else in Ireland and riding the state.

Personally they should be removed by force, imprisoned and then flow to the country the originally entered from and leave them there...

The Liberal idiots fail to realise that the country is going down the tubes and we Irish are now Second Class Citizens in our own country as we have the concession states (Primairly Slavic Races) ripping us off and flouting the Law, We have the Chinese on !!STUDENT PERMITS!! and don't forget the god olde boys from Irelands Fifth Provence Nigeria, they must have joined the EU and forgot to tell us.

A Few thoughts comes to mind, Large Ships, Irish Sea, Exocet Missles....

Irelands economy back to Normal....

I might be extreme but I am not in the minority.... And I am frustrated by the Knackers off the world coming to ride the country, Poor Old Michael Colins would turn in his grave if he knew how the country is going down the tubes because of the Liberal Filth of the Left...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

tbh wrote:
    Kiera, rkeane and all the rest of you.

the only reason you are in a position to call for these guys to be thrown out is because you *HAPPENED* to be born here. Most of you havn't done anything to contribute to the state except pay your taxes, and you only do that because you have to. Most of you would do EXACTLY THE SAME THING if you found yourself in the position these guys found themselves in. Actually, wait. From the sounds of it, most of you wouldn't have the balls.

I'm NOT arguing that these guys are doing the right thing. I'm sickened at the seeming glee that some people - in particular rkeane, who actually said he was praying for someone to get deported - take in another human beings suffering. From a human it's bad enough, from an Irish person its downright shameful. What goes around, comes around.

I have served my country and want them deported whats your problem!

Advertisement