Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the problem is that most people on here don't care about the rights and the wrongs of the situation, they only want to win the argument. It's a comfort thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tbh wrote:
    the problem is that most people on here don't care about the rights and the wrongs of the situation, they only want to win the argument. It's a comfort thing.
    I don't agree with that at all...

QED.

<joke>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

What about the RIGHTS OF IRISH PEOPLE...What about the Law,which these people are Breaking, you break the law in afghanistan you die...

I was there hence I know.... They entered the country illegally, they commited a Criminal act and we have no responsibilty to them.

We owe them nothing, Ireland is not a charity for all the idiots who think it is a free ride social welfare system...

If they die, they do us a favour we dont have to pay for their deportation...

tbh wrote:
    QED.

<joke>

Most people in the thread have expressed their opinions and backed them up with a logical argument. The only person who has been posting regularly in the thread and hasn't backed up his opinion is Ag marbh.

• Advertisement

Ag marbh doesn't need me to defend him, but I have to say I think he's expressed his opinion calmly and rationally. He has said that he thinks these people have had a really hard life, and he's quite happy for them to be given the chance to start a new life over here. Thats fair enough with me.

tbh wrote:
    Ag marbh doesn't need me to defend him, but I have to say I think he's expressed his opinion calmly and rationally. He has said that he thinks these people have had a really hard life, and he's quite happy for them to be given the chance to start a new life over here. Thats fair enough with me.

So anyone who wants to can walk into Ireland, if they want a better life, force themselves on society, act in a criminal manner, take the tax payers money and do what they want....Great give us a year and we will be overrun...

I expect you dont live beside these people you have liberal idea's and give two fingers to us taxpayers...

Ireland is not a dumping ground and needs to be emptied as we dont need them and have enough people here to fill the labour gap....

And how do we not know these are members of the Taliban or Al Quaidea...

Look live in the real world and not planet liberal...

Our country is be sodimised by Non-Nationals to Single Mothers on the "Social" Riding the state...

I am sick and tired of paying for these people, I want my children to be in a society not of fear and antagosnism and be able to get a job and not be laughed at by the undercutting slavs or the nigerians with there hands out or the Agfhans who are "fleeing" persecution my hole...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The UN high commissioner has arrived at St Pats to have a chat with them. Maybe he will be able to sort this out. Either way they dont seem to have got the message that the government actually cant give into their demands.

woody wrote:
    What about the RIGHTS OF IRISH PEOPLE...What about the Law,

ok woody, so help me, I'll bite. What about this law?

2.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person

( a ) to publish or distribute written material,

( b ) to use words, behave or display written material—

(i) in any place other than inside a private residence, or

(ii) inside a private residence so that the words, behaviour or material are heard or seen by persons outside the residence,

or

( c ) to distribute, show or play a recording of visual images or sounds,

if the written material, words, behaviour, visual images or sounds, as the case may be, are threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred.

( 2 ) ( a ) In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1), if the accused person is not shown to have intended to stir up hatred, it shall be a defence for him to prove that he was not aware of the content of the material or recording concerned and did not suspect, and had no reason to suspect, that the material or recording was threatening, abusive or insulting.

( b ) In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) (b), it shall be a defence for the accused person—

(i) to prove that he was inside a private residence at the relevant time and had no reason to believe that the words, behaviour or material concerned would be beard or seen by a person outside the residence, or

(ii) if he is not shown to have intended to stir up hatred, to prove that he did not intend the words, behaviour or material concerned to be, and was not aware that they might be, threatening, abusive or insulting.

(3) In this section "private residence" means any structure (including a tent, caravan, vehicle, vessel or other temporary or moveable structure) or part of such a structure used as a dwelling but does not include any part not so used or any part in which a public meeting is being held; and in this definition "public meeting" means a meeting at which the public are entitled to be present, on payment or otherwise and as of right or by virtue of an express or implied permission

tbh wrote:
    ok woody, so help me, I'll bite. What about this law?

2.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person—

( a ) to publish or distribute written material,

( b ) to use words, behave or display written material—

(i) in any place other than inside a private residence, or

(ii) inside a private residence so that the words, behaviour or material are heard or seen by persons outside the residence,

or

( c ) to distribute, show or play a recording of visual images or sounds,

if the written material, words, behaviour, visual images or sounds, as the case may be, are threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred.

( 2 ) ( a ) In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1), if the accused person is not shown to have intended to stir up hatred, it shall be a defence for him to prove that he was not aware of the content of the material or recording concerned and did not suspect, and had no reason to suspect, that the material or recording was threatening, abusive or insulting.

( b ) In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) (b), it shall be a defence for the accused person—

(i) to prove that he was inside a private residence at the relevant time and had no reason to believe that the words, behaviour or material concerned would be beard or seen by a person outside the residence, or

(ii) if he is not shown to have intended to stir up hatred, to prove that he did not intend the words, behaviour or material concerned to be, and was not aware that they might be, threatening, abusive or insulting.

(3) In this section "private residence" means any structure (including a tent, caravan, vehicle, vessel or other temporary or moveable structure) or part of such a structure used as a dwelling but does not include any part not so used or any part in which a public meeting is being held; and in this definition "public meeting" means a meeting at which the public are entitled to be present, on payment or otherwise and as of right or by virtue of an express or implied permission

And that applies to me your saying "tosh" let me find the section about entering the country illegally, the racism against Irish People by Non-Nationals..... I have a right to an opinion, I am not inciting hatred now if you want to apply that to the many anti-israeli and anti-jewish comments here a lot of people on boards would be in court :D
    #

Now you gombeen SUE AND REPORT me c'mon I'd love that, so would the press...

Here I will put it in a nutshell

Non-Nationals are screwing the country I fought for and my father and his grandfather... I have a right as a Citizen of Ireland to express my disgust at these people destroying my country, I have more time for the "Slab" Murphy than these people....

Now what shall I quote from the law books for you as I am fairly good on law.....

Come Call the Garda, they have the same opinion as does mr.fireman as does mr.coalman as does everyone...

LOL

• Advertisement

woody wrote:
    And that applies to me your saying "tosh" let me find the section about entering the country illegally, the racism against Irish People by Non-Nationals..... I have a right to an opinion, I am not inciting hatred now if you want to apply that to the many anti-israeli and anti-jewish comments here a lot of people on boards would be in court :D
    #

Now you gombeen SUE AND REPORT me c'mon I'd love that, so would the press...

Here I will put it in a nutshell

Non-Nationals are screwing the country I fought for and my father and his grandfather... I have a right as a Citizen of Ireland to express my disgust at these people destroying my country, I have more time for the "Slab" Murphy than these people....

Now what shall I quote from the law books for you as I am fairly good on law.....

Come Call the Garda, they have the same opinion as does mr.fireman as does mr.coalman as does everyone...

LOL

I'm not going to sue you, I just wanted to make you look like an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

I knew some Irish people were racist, but I'm really shocked at the level of intolerance, racism and lack of understanding of most of these posts. I am embarassed to be of the same race as some of you, with your infantile moronic attitudes. "Kick them out", "let them starve", "we'll have 3 billion people here if we let 40 stay", "I've got a sh*t job therefore screw the asylum seekers!".

Jesus!

First off, Ireland has a legal obligation to provide asylum for people whose lives are potentially in danger from their fellow countrymen. It seems fairly clear that these people qualify, but somehow our asylum system refused them - that seems to be a fault of the system, not their fault. So they are right to protest against it. Also, some of them have been waiting 5 years for their Appeal - u can't blame them for being p*ssed off and hopeless. And they cannot be legally deported yet because they haven't had their Appeal yet. So that's not an option. So u can't kick them out, u Nazis.

Secondly these people are, human beings :eek: :eek: Some of you seem to not realise this. What's wrong with you?
    Bobby Sands was commemorated recently, yet now u are sneering at these people. What about the millions of Irish asylum seekers in the 1800's?? Should USA have kicked them out and "let them starve?"

Also, some d*ck head said about the case in England where Afghans hijacked a plane - yes, and they were allowed to stay and granted asylum!! U didn't mention that.

Also, they are in the country legally. And again, so what if some were Taliban associates? Do you not know that the Northern Alliance were notorious rapists and murderers before the USA gave them carte blanche? That opium production under the Taliban was virtually non-existant but now runs at 90% of the worlds supply comes from Afghanistan? The point is that murderous reprisals are a high probability should they return, if they had any connection with the Taliban. So again, I don't understand why they should be refused asylum under international conventions.

So enough of people's scumbag disgusting racist attitudes, you really make me sick. There are people in this society desperate enough to undergo the horrors of hunger strike, and all you can do is make inane nonsensical racist comments - you are the scourge of any society.

eh your role know it your gob shut it. firstly i will agree that there was racist comments made and i will like to distance myself from them.
    now, irish in america,
    listen up shiet head have you ever heard of ellis island?????if you havnt let me give you an idea, think of a concentration camp, now that you have the setting let me tell you wat happend to the irish at the hands of the americans who themselves at one stage were "refugees" or "settlers"
    the irish immigrants were probed and tested for every little disease imaginary, any body who failed this were on the next boat out, and they were lucky because while in quarantine there cholera and other nasty infections were rampant and killed thousands. the irish were by no means allowed walk in as they pleased.
    when they did get in they worked they didnt go on a ****ing hunger strike making demands.
    listen you need to come out of your fantasy politically correct world and open your eyes to the real world, these people will walk all over you if you give them the chance. they have links to the taliban who are ment to be evil as the devil(i cant say for sure). you my friend are the enemy of the state and if you love them so much as far as i am concerned take your pc mates and leave with the afghans coz to me the afghans are more welcome than prople like you.

tbh wrote:
    I'm not going to sue you, I just wanted to make you look like an idiot.

The only idiot here is you and I think a lot of posters would agree...

Now when you come back to Planet Earth from Uranus make a real comment and not BS Bleeding heart liberal tosh...

LOL

woody wrote:
    The only idiot here is you and I think a lot of posters would agree...

burn. I can see I'm going to have to watch myself with you.

tbh wrote:
    burn. I can see I'm going to have to watch myself with you.

Oh and by they way what exactly have you done for your country....

C'mon enlighten us oh good Bleeding heart citizen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

tbh wrote:

Why didn't the HSE who miracalously found resources to setup a special unit for these hunger strikers let 'em rot on the hospital trolleys for days on end with no medical help in contrast to the rest of the Irish ppl who have to suffer in our hospitals?

woody wrote:
    Oh and by they way what exactly have you done for your country....

C'mon enlighten us oh good Bleeding heart citizen...

I've nothing to be ashamed of mate, let me put it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

#Elites wrote:
    Why should we let them in? If there rejected from staying, then they are rejected from staying

Do they think if they Stage a hunger + water strike they will get in? Nonsense, There nothing going to be allowed in, they will be left to die.

half of them are now In hospital, while the other half are "very very very very very very very weak"

Don't they know that if we give in, half of eastern Europe + the rest will be coming to Ireland and staging Hunger striker all over the place, its maddness.

This time next week, it will be over. Once the first few "die" the rest will realize that Ireland doesn't want them, and they will go back to where they belong.
    Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

godfather and babybundy banned.

Good call on that one.

• Advertisement

Talks between the UN commissioner and the men has finished and they are still intent on carrying on. Do we really want to make marters out of these guys:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

Just caught this thread now and I was genuinely surprised by the content. So much for modern Ireland - this thread is a fine example of the small minded, ignorant and me fein attitude that still festers in this country.

To start with, I happen to agree that these guys have made a mistake. They can't expect to bypass a legitimate process by essentially trying to force the government's hand. That said, they are human beings who clearly feel that this is the best choice open to them right now. I feel sorry for anyone who has to experience the increasing discomfort, disorientation and health reprecussions associated with liquid and as days pass, food deprivation - even when it is self inflicted. I don't happen to agree with them, however I don't happen think they are the NEXT BIG THREAT to Irish society. Stand down bird flu, the starving muslims are here.

So much of this thread is based on misinformation, gross ignorance, cultural and religious stereotyping and hysterical fear (Rest assured, whatever the outcome of this dispute, we will not be invaded by an army of starvation bent muslims, believe it or not, Belgium is managing just fine!). What is worrying is that so many people seem so happy to live in their nice safe little box with all their assumptions and even more happily consider themselves absolutely and completely and 100% right about the comments they have posted on this thread. What about reading a book? Find out about the Taliban and Afghanistan, find out if your assumptions are right or wrong. Better still, talk to an Afghan or someone who has been there. Have an adult discussion about a complex issue. Base your beliefs on facts.

You can actually stand on either side of the fence without being a bleeding heart liberal or a ranting Paisley type figure. You can actually have empathy for a group of people with whom you disagree. Alternatively, you can sit in your nice comfort zone and view all marginalised groups with deep suspicion, safe in the knowledge that you are absolutely, always right about these things.

Rant over.
    Saintly.

Saintly wrote:
    Just caught this thread now and I was genuinely surprised by the content. So much for modern Ireland - this thread is a fine example of the small minded, ignorant and me fein attitude that still festers in this country.

To start with, I happen to agree that these guys have made a mistake. They can't expect to bypass a legitimate process by essentially trying to force the government's hand. That said, they are human beings who clearly feel that this is the best choice open to them right now. I feel sorry for anyone who has to experience the increasing discomfort, disorientation and health reprecussions associated with liquid and as days pass, food deprivation - even when it is self inflicted. I don't happen to agree with them, however I don't happen think they are the NEXT BIG THREAT to Irish society. Stand down bird flu, the starving muslims are here.

So much of this thread is based on misinformation, gross ignorance, cultural and religious stereotyping and hysterical fear (Rest assured, whatever the outcome of this dispute, we will not be invaded by an army of starvation bent muslims, believe it or not, Belgium is managing just fine!). What is worrying is that so many people seem so happy to live in their nice safe little box with all their assumptions and even more happily consider themselves absolutely and completely and 100% right about the comments they have posted on this thread. What about reading a book? Find out about the Taliban and Afghanistan, find out if your assumptions are right or wrong. Better still, talk to an Afghan or someone who has been there. Have an adult discussion about a complex issue. Base your beliefs on facts.

You can actually stand on either side of the fence without being a bleeding heart liberal or a ranting Paisley type figure. You can actually have empathy for a group of people with whom you disagree. Alternatively, you can sit in your nice comfort zone and view all marginalised groups with deep suspicion, safe in the knowledge that you are absolutely, always right about these things.

Rant over.
    Saintly.

Good post mate, well said:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

the only reason i am against these boys doin what they are doin is that in Belgium they did it and they were let stay.

Another group did it and they were let stay

Currently another group is doin it and they are not been let stay but it has turned nasty at this stage(why let the rest in and not us??)

If we let them stay because of what they did it will set a precedance for others to do it and where will it end????

There is a system in place and everyone should go through it

If you dont like the system then there is an election next year let your votes do the talking

I have my opnions on immigrants and immigration into this country but that is not whats in question here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Do we really want to make marters out of these guys

And what alternative, that doesn't encourage others to pull similar copycat stunts to obtain what they want, would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Degsy wrote:
    You're an absolute gob****e you know that?

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭juslookin

a few question for the bleeding heart liberals and "anti racists"

* how do you KNOW these men, and those like them, are "who" they say they are ?
    * how do you KNOW these men, and those like them, are in the "danger" they say they are in ?
    * how do you KNOW more about the "dangers" these men face in Afghanistan than those you accuse of being "racist" ?
    * ever been to afghanistan (or nigeria, or wherever) to see for yourselves and make an informed opinion.
    * in fact, how do you "know" any more than international and national agencies or other posters on the board ?

you accuse others of prejudice (i.e "RACIIIISSSMMMM!!!!!!"). in fact you operate on exactly the same standard of prejudice as those you accuse. of course your prejudice is justified due to your moral superiority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

DaveMcG wrote:
    Most people in the thread have expressed their opinions and backed them up with a logical argument. The only person who has been posting regularly in the thread and hasn't backed up his opinion is Ag marbh.

My opinion was about how unhumane the situation was. I have repeated this on a number of occasions now but you all still ask why I think they should be granted asylum.

No need to quote me and go on about the pro's and con's of it because i've read absolutely every post on this thread but it's time you started to respect my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

A precedent will be set by this either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

juslookin wrote:
    a few question for the bleeding heart liberals and "anti racists"

* how do you KNOW these men, and those like them, are "who" they say they are ?
    * how do you KNOW these men, and those like them, are in the "danger" they say they are in ?
    * how do you KNOW more about the "dangers" these men face in Afghanistan than those you accuse of being "racist" ?
    * ever been to afghanistan (or nigeria, or wherever) to see for yourselves and make an informed opinion.
    * in fact, how do you "know" any more than international and national agencies or other posters on the board ?

Registering a new name because you won't post the question under your real name? Just a feeling I have..

Advertisement