Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

From rte.ie
    A representative from the United Nations High Commission for Refugees has told Afghan hunger strikers at St Patrick's Cathedral that Ireland has a fair asylum system and they should call off their protest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pythia wrote:
    From rte.ie

Their bedded in for the night now, so they obviously didnt take it that seriously. Can someone please clarify something. There are conflicting reports of whether all the men are taking water or not?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

darkman2 wrote:
    Their bedded in for the night now, so they obviously didnt take it that seriously. Can someone please clarify something. There are conflicting reports of whether all the men are taking water or not?:confused:
    Last I heard the older men were taking water but the younger were still refusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

What is hard to stomach in this affair is that these people can take over a Cathedral, depriving the Protestant faithful the right to worship in their church. Their own reaction would be interesting if others took over their place of worship, mosque I assume, in an attempt to blackmail.

The clergy of the cathedral , along with the representative of the HCR and our own authorities have all called on the protestors to cease their activity and respect the FAIR DUE PROCESS which is available to them. They refuse and still we have the sympathisers pontificating about tthe lack of human rights etc.

If the protesters were holed up elsewhere the would have been ejected long ago. If they want to starve themselves on a lost and unnecessary cause then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A special free phone number has been set up to register your support for these unfortunates.

The number is 1800 80 80 80.
    That's one eight hundred ate nuttin' ate nuttin' ate nuttin'. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Hagar wrote:
    A special free phone number has been set up to register your support for these unfortunates.

The number is 1800 80 80 80.
    That's one eight hundred ate nuttin' ate nuttin' ate nuttin'. ;)

Damn you, that's and oldie which I did not cop on to immediately! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anarchobot

Um, so what's your solution then?

I said I'm an Anarchist. Look it up. I'm not going to derail the thread by going into broader politics here.

If so, what is your recommendation for sorting out these dangerous countries?

Sorting out? The US propped up the Taliban and has created the current situation in Afghanistan. I think the solution would be to, eh, NOT create such situations.
    I am glad to see that this thread has returned to sensible, ordered reason dealing with the core issue and that the weirdos with their taunts of racism have started to disperse.

I take it that's directed at me? Yea, good argument there bud. When did I call anyone racist? In fact, I specifically distanced myself from Ag marbh for having done that. Sensible, ordered discussion means engaging with points that others make, and if you disagree with them try and prove them wrong. That's exactly what I did. The only person who engaged with me on anything I said (daithi1) proved himself wrong in the process. Calling someone a weirdo is not an intelligent argument.

The men are on hunger strike to draw attention to what they feel is an unjust process. If you feel they are wrong, and you are confident in your opinion, then why not argue it in a calm reasoned manner, making logical points which are backed up with empirical evidence? Very few people on here are doing that. They are ranting, speaking like idealogues. As if something that is central to how they view the world must be true, simply because it must. Most of you are only offering your opinions, not fact. So why not engage with people who disagree with you, instead of shouting at them till they go away and you can return into your little bubble?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

anarchobot wrote:
    I take it that's directed at me? Yea, good argument there bud. When did I call anyone racist? In fact, I specifically distanced myself from Ag marbh for having done that.

since ag marbh was calling people racist and you weren't, its probably safe to assume that he was referring to ag marbh, not yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

From rte.ie

Gardaí have entered St Patrick's
    Cathedral in Dublin where 41 Afghan
    asylum seekers are on their sixth day
    of a hunger strike.

The action follows yesterday's call by
    Church of Ireland Bishops for the men
    to end their protest.

Around 15 officers entered the
    Cathedral shortly after 9.00am this
    morning while at least 30 other
    officers are stationed in groups around
    the building.

So far, there does not seem to have
    been any attempt to remove the Afghan
    protesters.

Nearby St Patrick's Close was sealed
    off by Gardaí earlier.

There are now 11 Garda vans parked
    nearby on Kevin Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

anarchobot wrote:
    I said I'm an Anarchist. Look it up. I'm not going to derail the thread by going into broader politics here.

I would look up anarchist but I tend to misread the dictionary definition as being 'bittle loser who can't fit in to civil society'... not that I'm saying you're such a person. Perhaps just a little misguided.
    anarchobot wrote:
    Sorting out? The US propped up the Taliban and has created the current situation in Afghanistan.

Well I think the Taliban and the mass-murderers that they harboured created the current situation in Afghanistan. We can play the blame game all day. I'm not fan of US foreign policy myself. Um, so what's your solution please...
    anarchobot wrote:
    I think the solution would be to, eh, NOT create such situations.

Ah! Gotcha. Another 'America is the root of all evil' types. Good man.
    anarchobot wrote:
    I take it that's directed at me?

Paranoid? And, as a result, the rest of the paragraph is useless jibberish. :rolleyes:
    anarchobot wrote:
    The men are on hunger strike to draw attention to what they feel is an unjust process. If you feel they are wrong, and you are confident in your opinion, then why not argue it in a calm reasoned manner

I feel I have. You seem to be trying to cause your cool, pseudo-intellectual brand of anarchy where it simply doesn't exist in order to satisfy your silly, nihilistic argument.
    anarchobot wrote:
    making logical points which are backed up with empirical evidence?

If I want to express an opinion, I shall do so.
    anarchobot wrote:
    Very few people on here are doing that. They are ranting, speaking like idealogues.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    anarchobot wrote:
    As if something that is central to how they view the world must be true, simply because it must.

Now you're ranting on like a loony. A patronising loony at that. I suspect many of the people on this thread have a much tighter grip on reality than you give them credit for.
    anarchobot wrote:
    Most of you are only offering your opinions, not fact.

Um, and you are?
    anarchobot wrote:
    So why not engage with people who disagree with you, instead of shouting at them till they go away and you can return into your little bubble?

Never shouted at anyone. Expressed my opinion. I just treat people that disrespect the laws of this country as criminals. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Imagine going on hunger strike within walking distance of Leo Burdocks!!!
    Are they mad or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

a lot of words, but nothing really said
    yes, the taliban were mass murderers and one of those in the cathedral admittedly worked for them.
    the u.s. are directly to blame for everything that has happened in afghanistan in the past 20 or so years.
    afghanistan was invaded by the soviet union. the yanks, in all their cold war paranoia, decided that this was a bad thing and sent in the cia to covertly aid the afghans. this resulted in the soviets withdrawing and the taliban seizing power. the current situation is once again the cause of the u.s.
    remember, they invaded a couple of years back. [sarcasm]this invasion had absolutely nothing to do with gaining a base right beside iraq and was just carried out to capture osama bin laden. yes, they invaded a piss poor country to capture one man (who is still free).[/sarcasm]

julep wrote:
    Tells us something we already know

And these Afghan hunger strikers should be allowed stay in Ireland BECAUSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

julep wrote:
    yes, the taliban were mass murderers and one of those in the cathedral admittedly worked for them.
    the u.s. are directly to blame for everything that has happened in afghanistan in the past 20 or so years.
    afghanistan was invaded by the soviet union. the yanks, in all their cold war paranoia, decided that this was a bad thing and sent in the cia to covertly aid the afghans. this resulted in the soviets withdrawing and the taliban seizing power. the current situation is once again the cause of the u.s.
    remember, they invaded a couple of years back. [sarcasm]this invasion had absolutely nothing to do with gaining a base right beside iraq and was just carried out to capture osama bin laden. yes, they invaded a piss poor country to capture one man (who is still free).[/sarcasm]

so

usa = bad
    becuase they put the taliban in power

and

usa = bad
    because they removed the taliban

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

jhegarty wrote:
    From rte.ie

Gardaí have entered St Patrick's
    Cathedral in Dublin where 41 Afghan
    asylum seekers are on their sixth day
    of a hunger strike.

The action follows yesterday's call by
    Church of Ireland Bishops for the men
    to end their protest.

Around 15 officers entered the
    Cathedral shortly after 9.00am this
    morning while at least 30 other
    officers are stationed in groups around
    the building.

So far, there does not seem to have
    been any attempt to remove the Afghan
    protesters.

Nearby St Patrick's Close was sealed
    off by Gardaí earlier.

There are now 11 Garda vans parked
    nearby on Kevin Street.

just to add to this :

It is thought the gardaí may be trying to remove the seven minors among the protestors and place them in the care of the HSE.

It is understood that the HSE obtained an order from the High Court to remove the juveniles this morning.

isn't it great to see the HSE putting in all the time, money and resources into this pointless act yet the A & E problem can't be sorted out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

CATHEDRAL HUNGER STRIKERS ISOLATED

12.30 amCrash barriers moved into St Paticks lane by Cathedral last night 12.30 am.

2.30 am Revolt camera person approched by special branch and told not to film.

8 am bus outside now .

No independant Observers allowed acces including Residants against Racism.

Expecting evacuation of Cathedral...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

hellboy99 wrote:
    just to add to this :

It is thought the gardaí may be trying to remove the seven minors among the protestors and place them in the care of the HSE.

It is understood that the HSE obtained an order from the High Court to remove the juveniles this morning.

isn't it great to see the HSE putting in all the time, money and resources into this pointless act yet the A & E problem can't be sorted out :rolleyes:
    These chancers aren’t exactly helping our A&E problem now are they?

Get them out asap. They are using up resources that people who actually have a right to be here need.

Kiera wrote:
    These chancers aren’t exactly helping our A&E problem now are they?

Either are we going when we go out and get plastered this weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Ag marbh wrote:
    CATHEDRAL HUNGER STRIKERS ISOLATED

12.30 amCrash barriers moved into St Paticks lane by Cathedral last night 12.30 am.

2.30 am Revolt camera person approched by special branch and told not to film.

8 am bus outside now .

No independant Observers allowed acces including Residants against Racism.

Expecting evacuation of Cathedral...

That sounds like what should have happened one hour into this farce on day one. Would have saved a fortune too.

PS thats a direct copy n paste from indymedia isnt it ? And RAR are hardly an independent party in all of this - they are the mens only supporters in this country (discounting anarchist left students for a moment).

Ag marbh wrote:
    Either are we going when we go out and get plastered this weekend...
    True. Should everyone just sit in at the wkends just incase we have too much fun?

• Advertisement

ChityWest wrote:
    That sounds like what should have happened one hour into this farce on day one. Would have saved a fortune too.

PS thats a direct copy n paste from indymedia isnt it ? And RAR are hardly an independent party in all of this - they are the mens only supporters in this country (discounting anarchist left students for a moment).

Yep taken from indymedia, should have said at the bottom.

Kiera wrote:
    True. Should everyone just sit in at the wkends just incase we have too much fun?

No but im just letting you know because it's not the type of thing that would cross your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if ~40 people can have an adverse effect on the system, it's the system thats in the wrong, not the people.

Ag marbh wrote:
    No but im just letting you know because it's not the type of thing that would cross your mind.
    Oh i'm sorry, i didnt know you knew me. I'll agree with everything you say from now on. ktanxbye.

Its no one btw!

Ag marbh wrote:

Your point is completely irrelevant. If the government want to start fining people who pay taxes and have a legal right to be in this country as a result of ending up in A&E under the influence, or some other initiative, then so be it. The people in St. Patrick's Cathedral have no right to be usurping the resources that we pay for like this. They shouldn't even be in this country. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

tbh wrote:
    if ~40 people can have an adverse effect on the system, it's the system thats in the wrong, not the people.

40 people deliberately setting themselves up to be ferried back and forth on a daily basis you mean dont you ?

Plus at at least one point yesterday it was on their own request not at the request of the medical professionals at the scene.

* Update - That should say - the medical professionals tied up at the scene instead of doing their regular job.

Kiera wrote:
    Oh I'm sorry,I didn't know you knew me. I'll agree with everything you say from now on. ktanxbye.

It's no one btw!

as long as we are playing that game.

Your point is completely irrelevant. If the government want to start fining people who pay taxes and have a legal right to be in this country as a result of ending up in A&E under the influence, or some other initiative, then so be it. The people in St. Patrick's Cathedral have no right to be usurping the resources that we pay for like this. They shouldn't even be in this country. Simple as that.

Oh right so because we pay taxes it's ok to waste A&E resources :rolleyes:

ChityWest wrote:
    40 people deliberately setting themselves up to be ferried back and forth on a daily basis you mean dont you ?

Plus at at least one point yesterday it was on their own request not at the request of the medical professionals at the scene.

* Update - That should say - the medical professionals tied up at the scene instead of doing their regular job.

doesn't matter. If 40 extra people entering the system can bring it to it's knees, then it's a crappy system.

• Advertisement

Angry, as long as they are here, they have the same entitlements as everyone else. that's the law.

Advertisement