Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

This one is so out of touch with reality!

Rosanna Flynn of the group said that she was not aware if the men were injured or had received medical attention.

The youths have been taken in hand by the HSE and made wards of court. Hopefully this will soon be resolved and the Cathedral be vacated and FUMIGATED.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

isn't it great to see the HSE putting in all the time, money and resources into this pointless act yet the A & E problem can't be sorted out

Child welfare is a major part of the HSE's work. Completely seperate from the A&E crisis. I don't see what your issue is?
    No independant Observers allowed acces including Residants against Racism.

I would hardly call RAR independent observers for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I wonder what sort of reception 40 Christians doing this in a Mosque in Afghanistan would get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Seems these guys are intent on killing themselves which is probably for the best. And the church has pretty much told them to fu.ck off so they are completly on their own now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ChityWest wrote:
    Not really their choice is it ? Thats kind of the point of this whole thing - who gets to decide on Irelands immigration policy. Whether its the rule of law or the dictates of an organised group of agitators.

I do agree with you on that. My opinion is that we could be a more relaxed in our rules, but I get that you don't agree. By the way, if there were no agitators in society, we'd be ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

tbh wrote:
    My opinion is that we could be a more relaxed in our rules, but I get that you don't agree. By the way, if there were no agitators in society, we'd be ****ed.

Thats where we disagree - these people dont have the right to dictate anything.

Agitators needed ? ? people trying to dictate governement policy at the threat of self harm - I dont think we need that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ChityWest wrote:
    Thats where we disagree - these people dont have the right to dictate anything.
    I didn't say dictate. I said agitate. Agitators prevent dictators.

or at least they try to.

edit: depends what the policy is, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Not the case we are talking about is it ?

The people threatening self harm are trying to dictate how Irelands immigration/asylum processes should operate.

They are trying to dictate their demands and expect them put in place at the threat of self harm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

:mad: These guys are NUTS. Did anyone hear the interview on today fm just now with one of the strikers about how they will resist the gardai:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

How any country could deny the Afghan people asylum is beyond me. If anybody needs Asylum its them. Granted it would open the flood gates but for a country that is openly anti American where's the problem? Oh yeah sorry they're not white with freckles so they're not welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a bad joke, whats the point threatening suicide when you are on a hunger stike?

There's a long list of do-gooders wading in now all looking to hitch thier wagon to a falling star.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 TheTruthFairy

Gegerty wrote:
    How any country could deny the Afghan people asylum is beyond me.

These men have not been denied asylum. They have not completed the asylum process.

How anyone can be so stupid to starve themselves based on what might happen is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

tbh wrote:
    to be honest, I'd say they would prefer prison to being sent home.

Well first things first. They're breaking the law, so arrest them and do what's required by the rule of the law. Then, again by the rule of the law, ship them out of the country if their asylum applications aren't granted and their appeals fail.

On one hand you seem to be defending them by saying they have the same legal rights as the rest of us under the system. On the other hand you're defending them by saying that the system isn't fair and they shouldn't be sent back if they're not granted asylum. Which is it, man??? Does the system work or not?? Or only when it satisfies your argument? Be consistent for God's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ag marbh and Kiera, cop on. I've already warned you kiera about bring up this PM crap.

Think of the kebab shops...mmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

looks like Bertie will intervene - so the strikers will win -
    what next people going on hunger strike to move up the social housing list or to get more dole --
    i wonder if i went on hunger strike on Grafton street , would the state give me a 100 k.

Ive been reluctant to use this term but I think we have a genuine 'crisis' here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

thebaz wrote:
    what next people going on hunger strike to move up the social housing list or to get more dole --
    i wonder if i went on hunger strike on Grafton street , would the state give me a 100 k.

Why do you think Bertie will intervene? By doing so he would be going over McDowell's head and he would not risk that at this time.

Feel free to go on hunger strike for your 100 k., there are enough bleeding hearts in this town to lend you support. :mad:

Heinrich wrote:
    Why do you think Bertie will intervene? By doing so he would be going over McDowell's head and he would not risk that at this time.

Feel free to go on hunger strike for your 100 k., there are enough bleeding hearts in this town to lend you support. :mad:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2006/0519/

i could do with a 100 k to help me get a property -- maybe it is the way to go - hunger striking for your wants !

Dialouge please:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0519/asylum.html

I hope common sense prevails here.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote:

If it meant that if they didn't give you your 100K you'd be murdered in the most horible way imaginable and in a public arena then yes they probably would make an exception for you too.

The latest says they are now willing to throw themselves off the organ.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭juslookin

darkman2 wrote:
    Ive been reluctant to use this term but I think we have a genuine 'crisis' here.

Darkman,

you are falling into their trap. "you", as in "we" as in "the irish people", do not have a crisis here. if you, as in "we" do have a crisis, then you have fallen into the exact situation that "they" want you to have, which is that "you" are responsible for them. you are not. They are responsible for themselves. If they win this time, then how much longer will "you/we" continue to be responsible for them housing ? health ? beer money ? and so on.

if I turn up in O Connell St, announce I will be starving myself to death unless the Irish people solve my health*/financial*/emotional*/professional*/recreational*/sexual*/ problems, do "you" as in "we" as in "the irish people" have a crisis ?

Nope. As me man from Staines Massive said, "is it because they is black ?"

" ""Anti"" "Racists" insert witty comment here "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

St. Patrick's Cathederal is the origin of the phrase "chance your arm". Isn't it nice to think that our Afghan friends are so thoroughly absorbing our history and culture. Chancers is what they are.

http://www.ireland.com/travel/counties/dublin_a.htm

St Patrick's Cathedral Ireland's largest church, St Patrick's Cathedral, stands on what is probably the oldest Christian site in Ireland...One of the more interesting features is a hole, dating from 1492, which is cut into the door of the Chapter House. During a quarrel between two Norman earls, one of them, Lord Ormonde, took refuge in the Chapter House. When the dispute was resolved, the other earl, Lord Kildare, cut a hole in the door so he could safely shake hands with his former foe. Hence the expression 'to chance your arm'.

Gegerty wrote:
    If it meant that if they didn't give you your 100K you'd be murdered in the most horible way imaginable and in a public arena then yes they probably would make an exception for you too.

Thats a bit of an exageration, they are not all going to be "murdered in public" - in fact they are murdering themselves in public here in Dublin instead . A stand needs to be taken on immigration, and just cause you are not happy with outcome does not mean you go on hunger strike to highlight your case . If murder is so widespread in Afghanistan - should we just just let in 2 million Afghans here out of good will.

Nice googling there Hagar!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    The latest says they are now willing to throw themselves off the organ.

Mike.

Yes im sure they are going to throw thenselves off the organ loft (sarcasim). This is a farce.

GET THEM OUT I say, this is a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭juslookin

What PROOF is there that they are indeed on hunger strike.

Who's to say they haven't got a few Mars Bars they saved up in lent stashed somewhere.

The CLAIM they are on hunger strike, combined with the fact they are doing this in one of your most famous places of worship has achieved what they wanted, PUBLICITY and SPECIAL ATTENTION hopefully scope for SPECIAL TREATMENT.

It's not exactly the H Block is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Last thing anyone wants to see is people dying in St. Patrick's Cathederal.
    In my eyes though there is no way our government can cave in. As has been said many times if we were to compromise on our policies here - there would be hunger strikes left right and center for the forseeable future.

Ideally the Gardai would have moved in at the very beginning before all the media attention and taken them out.

If they are to forceably remove them now, there will be trouble - but it's the only option.
    I'd say do it tonight when the majority are sleeping (although they're all on the verge of unconsciousness at the moment anyway I believe).

I don't know what will be done with them when they do take them out though.

And I'm also not confident that the governments policy on Afghanistan is right - although that's here nor there as a government can't cave into demands when being bullied like this.

They could have achieved recognition by staging a sit-in or a sit-out somewhere that would have been much more noble way to bring attention to our policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It has gone on too long, get them out of there. We will see if that gardai enforce the 7pm deadline it says on rte.ie. Hopefully they will, its ridiculous.

Advertisement